Sam De Vault Memorial High School

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Sam De Vault Memorial High School

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 am

I see where Sam picked up an offer from IUPUI
6 8 junior I saw him play against Bosse last year.
Not bad as a sophomore.Wondering if our coaches
have any interest.I know IUPUI isn't a top notch school
but it is a D1 school and he's tall

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Sam De Vault Memorial High School

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:03 am

muni cup14 wrote:I see where Sam picked up an offer from IUPUI

He has attended Coach Simmons basketball camps and his mother is an employee of UE. I believe he is on the radar.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:44 am

I met Sam and his family at a UE game during the 15-16 season. Sam is the only 'tall' one. Seemed to me that he wants to play for Marty / UE. BTW, the game I met them at, was the Wooden Classic.
#ACESACES

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:07 am

And here is another reason I just have to shake my head sometimes when it comes to Marty Simmons.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sport ... 103245284/

Plenty of other D1 schools already making contact and where is UE and Simmons??
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:44 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
muni cup14 wrote:I see where Sam picked up an offer from IUPUI

He has attended Coach Simmons basketball camps and his mother is an employee of UE. I believe he is on the radar.

I saw this above the last comment. It is from June 23. Looks like he knows about UE and UE knows about him. Just because no one told you doesn't mean it's not happening.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Sam's parents or at least one parent are UE grads. This has some promise. He needs to have a good senior year and put on some muscle. Sure would be great if he really became solid and came to UE regardless of who our coach is. A local nice sized player would sure help in many ways.

JoePurple
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1987

Postby JoePurple » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:10 am

Hope we don't miss the boat on this kid. Passed on a very similar player a couple years ago. Adam Eberhard (Memorial) played at a very high level for a very good Bellarmine team this past season, including All Tournament team in the D II Elite Eight. Sure think he could have done some good for us here. Similar build, similar talent. All indications are that Devault has high interest in playing at UE. Hope we show the same interest in return.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 am

I agree Joe, historically, Simmons performance in recruiting/developing bigger forwards (6'6 or bigger) who can shoot the ball has been miserable. Granted, he now has Evan Kuhlman, who shows some promise. However, how he is going to use him is yet to be determined. I have my doubts.

The fact that De Vault didn't mention any Evansville interest/offer in the paper is troubling. It's nice his mom works at UE and all that other stuff. But the bottom line is, if Simmons is showing interest or has offered it would have been mentioned in the hometown paper as it would have added to the story. What reason would he have to hide the fact that Evansville is showing interest?
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:Sam's parents or at least one parent are UE grads. This has some promise. He needs to have a good senior year and put on some muscle. Sure would be great if he really became solid and came to UE regardless of who our coach is. A local nice sized player would sure help in many ways.

Sam will only be a junior this year.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Tom Servo wrote:I agree Joe, historically, Simmons performance in recruiting/developing bigger forwards (6'6 or bigger) who can shoot the ball has been miserable. Granted, he now has Evan Kuhlman, who shows some promise. However, how he is going to use him is yet to be determined. I have my doubts.

The fact that De Vault didn't mention any Evansville interest/offer in the paper is troubling. It's nice his mom works at UE and all that other stuff. But the bottom line is, if Simmons is showing interest or has offered it would have been mentioned in the hometown paper as it would have added to the story. What reason would he have to hide the fact that Evansville is showing interest?

Tom,

I would say it could be a variety of reasons at this point. My first thought would be that since she works at UE, they may be uncomfortable mentioning anything at this time..avoid impressions of favortism, putting the coaching staff on the spot publicly, etc

Or, they likely are aware that things aren't hunky-dory at Carson Center. It doesn't take an insider to realize that Simmons future is shaky at best. Maybe they are waiting to see how the dust settles.

Return to “Class of 2019”