Sam Cunliffe

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Re: Sam Cunliffe

Postby acefan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:14 pm

acesfan65 wrote:When did the last 4-star make an official visit?

I'm not sure there were star ratings back then, but probably Richie Johnson and Kenny Perry in the early 1980's.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:47 pm

sect.3purple wrote:All these comments about our coaches and their NBA connections and coaching experience are certainly true and valid...if getting to the next level were a goal of mine as a player (and the stepping-stone process of ample playing time in a program that would get national attention was a factor), I think UE would be a very attractive place to show off my skills and know that I was being watched. I think this program is going big-time and will be in the national spotlight......never could understand Dru and Ryan passing up an opportunity that would have been one of the best they each could have had, yet hope there are other stars out there who will recognize what is going on here at Evansville and will join the excitement! Hopefully Cunliffe is the next to "Get on Board."

Not very smart on Dru and Ryan's part on leaving a program that could have utilized there strengths

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Next time that I see an update on this thread, I want to be sure informed that Sam has committed to UE!
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Hoping he commits on the spot as well. Here are a couple more tweets on him mentioning Evansville:

https://twitter.com/NBADraftGod/status/1027277389158465536

Best fits for Kansas 6-7 wing transfer Sam Cunliffe, in our eyes: @UEvansville (Coach Walter McCarty doing some nice things there), Xavier & Maryland. Cunliffe to Pepperdine/Lorenzo Romar good in theory, but SC unable to be on campus until next year, P w/ Zero 2018 scholarships

https://twitter.com/NBADraftGod/status/1027273418016583680

Sam Cunliffe would be the best player on both Xavier & Evansville teams, potentially a program changer

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:54 pm

No offense to Travis Steele, but for a guy with talent to make it to the Association, it’s kinda a no brainer in terms of coaching staffs.

If you think you are talented enough to play on the same court as LeBron, and you need someone credible on your side to vouche for you. Who do you want?
Travis Steele or Walter McCarty?

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Truthfully, the more I think about it; I feel like we are by far the best fit for him. And he knows it already.

He has been focused for the last 10 years on getting to the League and the campus life isn’t going to be on his decision radar.

Additionally, he will have Art to compete with all year.
It’s a great fit and he will likely put the pieces together pretty quick.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 pm

If he reads message boards, I really like our chances. The Xavier board is nearly unanimous in their hope they don't sign him.

He will be welcomed here, can be a hero, and does have a better chance with McCarty getting him to the NBA. Loyola proved that MVC teams can get on a bigger stage than Xavier with a good run.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Nothing posted on Twitter tonight so at least he didn’t go to X and say I’m done. It’s good that he’s listening to what everyone has to say before making a decision.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 pm

AcesHigh wrote:Nothing posted on Twitter tonight so at least he didn’t go to X and say I’m done. It’s good that he’s listening to what everyone has to say before making a decision.

Completely agree. I was very worried he would commit somewhere before Aces had a chance to meet with him. Out odds of landing him now just got better.

Ace78
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Aces44 wrote:No offense to Travis Steele, but for a guy with talent to make it to the Association, it’s kinda a no brainer in terms of coaching staffs.

If you think you are talented enough to play on the same court as LeBron, and you need someone credible on your side to vouche for you. Who do you want?
Travis Steele or Walter McCarty?

I totally agree! Also, I'm not sure who serves as the assistant coaches at Xavier, but I can't imagine a better total staff than what UE has to offer. With all that wealth of knowledge, experience, and NBA connections, our staff has to be one of the tops in the country.

I hope it works out for Sam and for UE.

Return to “Class of 2019”