Sam Cunliffe

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Sam Cunliffe

Postby Aces44 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Anyone want to call me crazy that I say we finish with a top 5 finish this season even though Sam and Art have to sit this season? They will be practicing with the team, and extra eyes and mind never hurts

You are crazy.
But I’ll suffer through this year knowing next year will be on kill!

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Anyone want to call me crazy that I say we finish with a top 5 finish this season even though Sam and Art have to sit this season? They will be practicing with the team, and extra eyes and mind never hurts

I'm with you on being crazy. We have talent on this team. We have players that will look totally different in this system. Hall and KJ come to mind first. What people don't see is we have a coach that will play multiple bigs at the same time. We won't have 6'4 guys playing the 4 spot. I'm not saying we won't have hiccups during the year but by the time the Valley roles around we will be clicking. Williams and Hall are going to be fun to watch together. McCarty will not fail and you can take that to the bank.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 am

This is possible a program changing player,just as Haffner was.With the two transfers coming
in next year we have two really good shooters.Plus,it will make our current players better with
them practicing with the team.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 am

AcesHigh wrote:I think Sam made the right decision. He apparently wants to play professional ball and beyond the obvious with the Coaching staff now at UE, what Sam needs most is playing time and exposure. Both of which he will get in Evansville. The hard part will be how the coaching staff manages the talent being assembled at UE.

I’ve said all along that the difference between UE, Butler and Xavier is the coaching staff and a couple of exceptional recruiting years. This Spring we assembled the coaching staff with close connections to the Butler model and added other strong assistants. Now the recruiting is starting to kick in. If the coaches can nail big time recruits in November, the results could be amazing.

The Ford Center will be rocking and basketball will be back in Evansville.

I agree on most counts. This is the type of chance you have to take with players that may have some baggage but could help elevate your program. 5 schools in 5 years is a bit troubling to me, but like they say about the lottery ......you can't win if you don't play. Getting to a Butler / Xavier level after a couple of strong recruiting years is probably a stretch, but being able to be more competitive in the Valley certainly is not.

These are the types of chances you have to take. Some will pan out and some will not. I'm definitely optimistic at least.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 am

I would agree with others that top 5 seems way overly optimistic. However, having bodies in practice to push the guys who can play this year is a good thing.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 am

I don't believe I have read anything about.
Sam ever being in trouble,so I don't think he brings any baggage to the table. All I see is a kid who wants to be a star player.And Kansas wasn't that school

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am

This is a great commit. Given all the transferring and stated desire for the next level, is he one and done? I certainly hope not.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

muni cup14 wrote:I don't believe I have read anything about.
Sam ever being in trouble,so I don't think he brings any baggage to the table. All I see is a kid who wants to be a star player.And Kansas wasn't that school

As others have said, there is risk involved. There is risk involved regardless of how many schools a transfer has been to. One thing that has stood out for me..looking at twitter, the number of Kansas fans who have not only congratulated him, but stated they would also be Purple Aces fans now. That tells me he didn't burn any bridges with Kansas.

Kansas is stacked. Cunliffe would be a part of the team, but hard to get minutes and be a star. It's the very same logic many of us used when discussing Dru going to Mizzou. Stay here and be a star versus going there and just being part of the team. There is no question Cunliffe can be star both for UE and in the MVC. Now we have the capability of offering a recruit solid exposure to the NBA.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 am

stennisrm72 wrote:This is a great commit. Given all the transferring and stated desire for the next level, is he one and done? I certainly hope not.

He was a 4 star recruit out of high school, but Pat called him a 3 star in his article, which is possibly closer to the truth. Do we want to get to the level of one and done players? He's a good one. Probably the best recruit since Haffner, but I doubt that he is a one and done.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:34 am

purpleredbird wrote:

I would agree with others that top 5 seems way overly optimistic. However, having bodies in practice to push the guys who can play this year is a good thing.

Drink the kool aid, buy the season tickets, and come on back home. We can (eventually) forgive you for all the ISUr love. :lol:
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Return to “Class of 2019”