Sam Cunliffe

oldstyle1908
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2010

Re: Sam Cunliffe

Postby oldstyle1908 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 am

Def. a 4 star. 38th ranked nationally, 6th ranked small forward. Dude is legit.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:59 am

oldstyle1908 wrote:Def. a 4 star. 38th ranked nationally, 6th ranked small forward. Dude is legit.

Agreed. 38th is closer to 5 star than a 3 star player. I think the top 25 are 5 star and then they go down about 100 more spots (I believe) before they are three star players. So the kid is a legit 4-star player by his ranking.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:02 pm

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article216678265.html

Former Kansas shooting guard Sam Cunliffe, who announced plans to leave KU on July 23, has chosen Evansville as his transfer destination.

The 6-foot-6 Seattle native made a campus visit to the Missouri Valley Conference school on Saturday and also visited Pepperdine and Xavier. He also had Washington, Fresno State, Minnesota and Grand Canyon on his initial list of possible schools.

“Coach (Walter) McCarty played in the NBA with the Celtics. He’s a great guy, great coach. I trust him and believe in his vision,” Cunliffe told The Star on Tuesday afternoon, a couple minutes after posting his decision on Twitter.

“I’m unbelievably excited for this opportunity,” Cunliffe said. He recently told The Star he has “been back home (in Seattle) working on my game, making sure my body is right.”

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Welcome to Evansville, the home of the Purple ACES, in the basketball-crazed state of Indiana. Sam Cunliffe, you can be a vital part of this exciting rejuvenation of Aces basketball. Our history is proven. Our expectations are high. Our future glows purple. You have such an opportunity to show your skills right here, downtown along the Ohio, and to join the other team members, the coaches, the U students, and the fans in putting this storied program back on the basketball map. Then you can add that to your NBA -seeking resume. You're a Purple Ace....glad to have you on the team!

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:22 pm

The Walter McCarty effect: UE is becoming a destination spot for recruits | Lindskog

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/08/15/ue-basketball-becoming-destination-high-rated-recruits/992628002/

The blueprint Walter McCarty and his staff appear to be following might be making some University of Evansville fans nostalgic...We’ll see if history can repeat itself.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Austin Ace wrote:The Walter McCarty effect: UE is becoming a destination spot for recruits | Lindskog

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2018/08/15/ue-basketball-becoming-destination-high-rated-recruits/992628002/

The blueprint Walter McCarty and his staff appear to be following might be making some University of Evansville fans nostalgic...We’ll see if history can repeat itself.

Great article!
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Austin Ace wrote:The Walter McCarty effect: UE is becoming a destination spot for recruits | Lindskog

Colt Ryan was a Rivals 3 star player.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/colt-ryan

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:56 pm

E-Villan wrote:
muni cup14 wrote:I don't believe I have read anything about.
Sam ever being in trouble,so I don't think he brings any baggage to the table. All I see is a kid who wants to be a star player.And Kansas wasn't that school

As others have said, there is risk involved. There is risk involved regardless of how many schools a transfer has been to. One thing that has stood out for me..looking at twitter, the number of Kansas fans who have not only congratulated him, but stated they would also be Purple Aces fans now. That tells me he didn't burn any bridges with Kansas.

Kansas is stacked. Cunliffe would be a part of the team, but hard to get minutes and be a star. It's the very same logic many of us used when discussing Dru going to Mizzou. Stay here and be a star versus going there and just being part of the team. There is no question Cunliffe can be star both for UE and in the MVC. Now we have the capability of offering a recruit solid exposure to the NBA.

I noticed several RCJH fans giving him a lot of Twitter love as well.....encouraging.

Even if Cunliffe where to wind up not working out for us at all, it is worth the risk. In my opinion, we already had a solid group of 12 players to build the foundation. We have 3 available scholarships (a good balance) for this fall's recruiting period to build even more. Timing wise, he got the last of the 13 available slots, not the 8th or 9th. Whatever gamble he may be, it looks to me like we are just playing with house money on this one.

So far, Walter and his staff appear to have pushed all the right buttons.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm

This is going to work out really well for both Sam and UE. The sked will be terrific next year. UK is pending, Bahamas tournament, and as a wish, maybe a NW short trip, so Sam can play before the Seattle fans. At least that's what I'd like to see. Maybe play a Seattle, plus either WSU, one of the OR schools, or even Gonzaga, if the stars aligned. This year will be one exciting trip, and it seems to me that UE is exactly what Sam needed; positive coach, rebuilding program, and exposure. I think just having Sam and Art on the bench will help our young team adapt quickly to D1, and think of the practice intensity. Plus, recruiting Sam has brought recognition to the Aces program that we would have waited YEARS to attain, otherwise. IF all goes well, Sam will be a one-and-done, and that, in itself, will also raise UE's star in the eyes of potential recruits. The key is Sam's patience, and I think he knows he needs to get this right. As far as Sam's recruitment being a gamble, every recruit is a gamble in this age of transfers. I'm on BOARD!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 am

Sam is going to be an exceptional player for the Aces and greatly move the program forward at a faster pace than what I could have ever expected. That said, I really don't see him as a "one and done player". The NBA is definitely Sam's goal, no question. But I don't see him as achieving that next season. If he was THAT GOOD he would have at least been in the rotation at Kansas. Yes, he got buried underneath all that talent the Jayhawks possess...but to not at least have had some kind of regular playing time as a sub would make me think he is not a guy who just go right away into the NBA. In a couple years, maybe. Anyway, I believe this will be a good match for both sides and will lead us back into the NCAA and should be interesting to see how far the Aces can go. Evansville will have two more scholarships to give for the 2019 -20 season....my guess is the way the team is shaping up Coach McCarty is going to wow us again come the next signing period in November.

Return to “Class of 2019”