Sam Cunliffe

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Sam Cunliffe

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:18 am

letsgoAces wrote:Sam is going to be an exceptional player for the Aces and greatly move the program forward at a faster pace than what I could have ever expected. That said, I really don't see him as a "one and done player". The NBA is definitely Sam's goal, no question. But I don't see him as achieving that next season. If he was THAT GOOD he would have at least been in the rotation at Kansas. Yes, he got buried underneath all that talent the Jayhawks possess...but to not at least have had some kind of regular playing time as a sub would make me think he is not a guy who just go right away into the NBA. In a couple years, maybe. Anyway, I believe this will be a good match for both sides and will lead us back into the NCAA and should be interesting to see how far the Aces can go. Evansville will have two more scholarships to give for the 2019 -20 season....my guess is the way the team is shaping up Coach McCarty is going to wow us again come the next signing period in November.

Actually, we will have three schollys for 2019-20. And I believe we need a couple of bigs for down low.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:44 am

Ad1770 wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:Sam is going to be an exceptional player for the Aces and greatly move the program forward at a faster pace than what I could have ever expected. That said, I really don't see him as a "one and done player". The NBA is definitely Sam's goal, no question. But I don't see him as achieving that next season. If he was THAT GOOD he would have at least been in the rotation at Kansas. Yes, he got buried underneath all that talent the Jayhawks possess...but to not at least have had some kind of regular playing time as a sub would make me think he is not a guy who just go right away into the NBA. In a couple years, maybe. Anyway, I believe this will be a good match for both sides and will lead us back into the NCAA and should be interesting to see how far the Aces can go. Evansville will have two more scholarships to give for the 2019 -20 season....my guess is the way the team is shaping up Coach McCarty is going to wow us again come the next signing period in November.

Actually, we will have three schollys for 2019-20. And I believe we need a couple of bigs for down low.

Correct. DC, Hill, and Feehan.

And yes, two guys with some size. C. PF, Stretch 4, C/F, however they are labeled. We are in good shape with guards, wings, tweeners.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:53 am

We definitely need another big guy, but I do think our biggest need is another PG. I think Givance will be good, but after him I'm not sure I see much PG ability. I think 2-4 we are in great shape. It's mainly the 1 and 5 spot.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:18 am

Tom Servo wrote:We definitely need another big guy, but I do think our biggest need is another PG. I think Givance will be good, but after him I'm not sure I see much PG ability. I think 2-4 we are in great shape. It's mainly the 1 and 5 spot.

Agreed - at least one big (center) and a PG is my thoughts exactly. We are set at the 2-4 positions.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Austin Ace wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:We definitely need another big guy, but I do think our biggest need is another PG. I think Givance will be good, but after him I'm not sure I see much PG ability. I think 2-4 we are in great shape. It's mainly the 1 and 5 spot.

Agreed - at least one big (center) and a PG is my thoughts exactly. We are set at the 2-4 positions.

Agree also. KJ is the most experienced D1 PG, and will probably be the opening game starter, unless Givance is unbelievable, but he is a freshman. Feehan could play PG if he had to, but would probably be better at SG. None of those may be exactly what we want this season, but I don't think they are that bad either. Time will tell.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am

I believe the next priority for the Aces, IMO, would first be an enforces inside - a big guy who could alter shots and grab some rebounds. Next, another point guard. Obviously, we have all seen Coach McCarty has offers out for both. Here is hoping Elijah Height will commit - tall with long arms, athletic, and runs the floor extremely well. Walter has certainly upgraded the personal more than what I could have imagined in a very short amount of time. If he can make this happen again with his remaining scholarships the 2019 - 20 season could be a very special year. Showing potential recruits the talent which will be on hand should hopefully make them want to get on board.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am

Did anyone see the Newspaper in Kansas that said Sam DIED instead of Transferred?
The Bill Self quote where he said he supported his decision was used etc. ha!

We are all pretty serious about our interest in our Basketball team, but thinking they have died seems a bit too far. Hahahaha

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:14 am

Aces44 wrote:Did anyone see the Newspaper in Kansas that said Sam DIED instead of Transferred?
The Bill Self quote where he said he supported his decision was used etc. ha!

We are all pretty serious about our interest in our Basketball team, but thinking they have died seems a bit too far. Hahahaha

https://www.12up.com/posts/6125942-kansas-city-tv-station-accidentally-reports-former-jayhawk-is-dead

Quite a typo to say the least.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 am

Oh boy. Jay Leno would have had a little fun with that if he still hosted The Tonight Show.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Ace78
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:23 pm

I saw this post on twitter with video of Sam this afternoon that I thought I'd share ... very impressive!!!

https://twitter.com/Thadeacon_/status/1 ... 7815927808

Return to “Class of 2019”