Sam Cunliffe

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Sam Cunliffe

Postby acecard » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:59 am

letsgoAces wrote:This is really going to be an interesting process. It would seem Sam wants playing time....he would get plenty in Evansville. Xavier, on the other hand, is a great program and much higher profile than Evansville. I am unsure of what kind of competition he would have in earning minutes for the Musketeers. There is always the possibility he would pay his own way for a year if he choose to go to Pepperdine, who I think he would have a preference for. For the Aces I think it will come down entirely to how his conversation goes with Coach McCarty. We are all hoping the coach will raise the profile of Evansville, and I think in time he very well could. But Evansville is not a sexy choice for a 4 star player to come...been a long and dreary road for nearly two decades. The addition of Sam and with the cast of players who will be on hand for the 2019 - 20' season (plus two more scholarships to offer) could potentially rise the Aces to the top much quicker than what we could have ever hoped for.

letsgo, I certainly agree with your points. A question that bothers me about him is why he didn't get more playing time with two petty good programs. Sometimes we humans aren't quite as good as we think we are. With that being said, I would take him in a minute.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:02 am

If he watches the team practice on Saturday he will probably see a lot of shots go up instead of,cut,screen,ball fake,and so on. :lol: :lol:
This kid could be a season changer for us

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am

acecard wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:This is really going to be an interesting process. It would seem Sam wants playing time....he would get plenty in Evansville. Xavier, on the other hand, is a great program and much higher profile than Evansville. I am unsure of what kind of competition he would have in earning minutes for the Musketeers. There is always the possibility he would pay his own way for a year if he choose to go to Pepperdine, who I think he would have a preference for. For the Aces I think it will come down entirely to how his conversation goes with Coach McCarty. We are all hoping the coach will raise the profile of Evansville, and I think in time he very well could. But Evansville is not a sexy choice for a 4 star player to come...been a long and dreary road for nearly two decades. The addition of Sam and with the cast of players who will be on hand for the 2019 - 20' season (plus two more scholarships to offer) could potentially rise the Aces to the top much quicker than what we could have ever hoped for.

letsgo, I certainly agree with your points. A question that bothers me about him is why he didn't get more playing time with two petty good programs. Sometimes we humans aren't quite as good as we think we are. With that being said, I would take him in a minute.

Completely agree.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ncace » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm

playing time was an issue at KU, but certainly not at ASU. He ave. 25 min. thru 10 games at ASU, as a freshman, then he decided to leave, mid season. Much is a mystery. Hope we can sort it out, hope he comes to UE, and hope he is patient thru a sit-out year to get back on track in '19-20. If he had stayed at ASU, he would have been putting up 20 a game last year and probably opted for the NBA draft. It appears that he is that good. At this point, he needs a really good year under his belt to get back on track, and the question I have is how patient will he be?

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 pm

He sat out a year at Kansas and started playing the second semester after the playing times and substitutions were pretty well set. Also Kansas is the preseason #1 and had a terrific recruiting class. Cunliffe’s playing time was also hit when Vick decided to pass on the NBA draft and return for his senior year.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Bold Prediction: Sam will be the first of many very high-profile recruits/transfers we land because of Walter's NBA experience.

I keep hanging onto his quote in the Seattle Times article. Something like, "Even though I have friends, connections, etc. at Pepperdine, I'm looking to get to the next level, so I'm going to make a rational choice. I'm focused on all three visits"

He's looking for two things: (1) a coaching staff that can get him to lottery-pick status and (2) lots and lots of minutes. We have (1) a coaching staff with a 10-year NBA player/NBA assistant coach/NBA scout and (2) all the minutes in the world.

There's plenty of things not sexy about UE. But if I were as close to the NBA as Sam is, I can't think of anything sexier than a recruiting pitch starting with: "Hi, I'm Walter. I was coaching Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward last calendar quarter." "Hi, I'm Todd. I was scouting for the Boston Celtics last calendar quarter."

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:39 pm

fg4ster wrote:Bold Prediction: Sam will be the first of many very high-profile recruits/transfers we land because of Walter's NBA experience.

I keep hanging onto his quote in the Seattle Times article. Something like, "Even though I have friends, connections, etc. at Pepperdine, I'm looking to get to the next level, so I'm going to make a rational choice. I'm focused on all three visits"

He's looking for two things: (1) a coaching staff that can get him to lottery-pick status and (2) lots and lots of minutes. We have (1) a coaching staff with a 10-year NBA player/NBA assistant coach/NBA scout and (2) all the minutes in the world.

There's plenty of things not sexy about UE. But if I were as close to the NBA as Sam is, I can't think of anything sexier than a recruiting pitch starting with: "Hi, I'm Walter. I was coaching Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward last calendar quarter." "Hi, I'm Todd. I was scouting for the Boston Celtics last calendar quarter."

I would think that anyone who wants to get to the NBA would take a hard close look at Walter, and the program he is putting together at UE.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Sam would certainly get the opportunity to show off his game in an Aces uniform. Walter can equip him to hopefully take his game to the top. This is obviously a big lure about the Aces program now - a coach who has played at the highest level both in college and professionally. It should go without saying though that as a fan I would want him also to be a good teammate and his primary focus to be about wining games and growing as a person.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:18 pm

All these comments about our coaches and their NBA connections and coaching experience are certainly true and valid...if getting to the next level were a goal of mine as a player (and the stepping-stone process of ample playing time in a program that would get national attention was a factor), I think UE would be a very attractive place to show off my skills and know that I was being watched. I think this program is going big-time and will be in the national spotlight......never could understand Dru and Ryan passing up an opportunity that would have been one of the best they each could have had, yet hope there are other stars out there who will recognize what is going on here at Evansville and will join the excitement! Hopefully Cunliffe is the next to "Get on Board."

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:08 pm

When did the last 4-star make an official visit?

Return to “Class of 2019”