MBB Early Signing period

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: MBB Early Signing period

Postby acecard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am

AcesChamps6571 wrote:
stl scooter wrote:The rule used to be: If a player plays in the second semester, it would count as a full year. They could decide to redshirt and have 4 full years remaining (beginning next year).

Exactly! Why burn your first year of eligibility on the final two months? Better to get acclimated to college, and Walter's system, and have 4 full years to play.

Unless Walter thinks this kid is the next coming of Michael Jordan, and could put the Aces over top this year. They may be just one GREAT player away from a special year. This is just a crazy thought on a gray day, but who knows.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 am

AcesChamps6571 wrote:
stl scooter wrote:The rule used to be: If a player plays in the second semester, it would count as a full year. They could decide to redshirt and have 4 full years remaining (beginning next year).

Exactly! Why burn your first year of eligibility on the final two months? Better to get acclimated to college, and Walter's system, and have 4 full years to play.

Correct, I do agree, if he truly is enrolled at mid-semester it would probably be best to redshirt and then let him get acclimated to the style and level of play in practice. It would be yet another guy to look forward to seeing next season. I'm just glad to hear we are allegedly going to get some size!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:30 pm

MdEspenlaub wrote:I heard , a high school kid 6'9" is graduating mid term, and will enroll at UE at that time. Thats all I know , sorry.

Not saying it won’t happen, but what high school player is going to give up his last two months or so of high school ball unless they are scared of an injury, and another thing that hasn’t been mentioned is this. Would he have to pay his way until the end of the year? Would the scholarship that was given to Will before the retirement be able to be “recycled” at the end of the semester?
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
MdEspenlaub wrote:I heard , a high school kid 6'9" is graduating mid term, and will enroll at UE at that time. Thats all I know , sorry.

Not saying it won’t happen, but what high school player is going to give up his last two months or so of high school ball unless they are scared of an injury, and another thing that hasn’t been mentioned is this. Would he have to pay his way until the end of the year? Would the scholarship that was given to Will before the retirement be able to be “recycled” at the end of the semester?

If it is Dixon, he would only be giving up a semester of JUCO ball.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:13 pm

stl scooter wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:

If it is Dixon, he would only be giving up a semester of JUCO ball.

Dixon is one thing (although I’m not sure about mid year transfers from JUCO to four year for athletics), but the post that started this said high school. Since the man reporting has been spot on with info so far, I have to take it at face value. This is a high school kid that we have heard nothing about to this point.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:43 pm

I believe I found the rule about participation during 2nd semester:

"Students must be enrolled full-time (twelve or more credits) at the college where they have chosen to participate when the regular season schedule of a sport begins. Students not enrolled during the term when the season begins remain ineligible throughout the season schedule unless they enroll on the first possible enrollment date following:

Their release from Active Armed Services of the United States with a discharge other than dishonorable.
Their return from a religious mission.
Their graduation from a high school or receipt of an equivalency diploma.
Their transfer from an NJCAA member college which has dropped a sport after the school year begins.

Students that satisfy one of the four exceptions become eligible after the previous term has ended upon registration as a full-time student for the new term. (Students must be added to the eligibility form before participating.) "

I agree that it would seem unlikely for a student to transfer in, have to learn the system, and play only for the remaining games this year.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Ahh, the early signing period. That week in the year that everyone wants to overreact to who has and hasn’t signed. Any word on if Henderson is going to sign his LOI this week?
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 pm

I hope we hear about some more quality recruits getting on board the next three days.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 am

Ad1770 wrote:

I don't disagree at all. The only advantage I can see is that it gives a kid a big head start in getting college credits early on to ease the load later on, and getting acclimated to his new teammates and coaching staff. (I doubt if he would be allowed to practice with the team, but I do not know that for sure).

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:39 am

Austin Ace wrote:I hope we hear about some more quality recruits getting on board the next three days.

I agree. I'd be willing to bet we will see someone whom we have not heard of up to this point.
I think we all know by now Coach McCarty is not bashful about going for top recruits....most will say no...hopefully one will say YES.

I am still anxiously waiting on Dixon's decision.

Return to “Class of 2019”