MBB Early Signing period

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Re: MBB Early Signing period

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:28 pm

I’m sure that’s what he’s doing but so much for wanting to play with his brother. That offer has been made by UE.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Yes, done all we could. I am sure they will both want to play together again. I say we are the front runner unless he has some kind of outstanding season and lands a P5 scholarship. Who knows, I am not sure how good he will be and what he will be offered. Juawan did not get any real D1 offers for whatever the reason. Tristen looks to be a bit taller to me but hard to know for sure from video. I think Juawan will help us over his four year career. The only thing I am seeing is he needs to work on his shot as he shoots very flat footed and does not elevate on his shot making it easier to block.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Does it bother anyone besides myself that 4 of Marty's holdovers are starters.Are they that much better than the recruits that Walter brought in.
Or was Walter having to play catch up on recruiting and took the best players avaible.
I'm committing the 2 transfers who will be eligible next year.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 am

I’m not sure what your point is. Freehan is a starter, Givance is playing significant minutes as a Freshman, Newton is getting a fair share of minutes as a Freshman and three others (Labinowicz, Williams and Cunliffe) would be starters if they were not red-shirting due to ncaa regulations. So who’s left?

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:59 am

I may be wrong but I believe McCarty and Staff are playing the recruiting process like a chess game. They are recruiting up and not just taking the next available man on the list.

There are a lot of P-5 and high Mid Major recruits that did not get a scholarship as of today. These kids will all be available in the Spring. McCarty is recruiting up the ladder to these recruits. Additional transfers could happen during the semester breaks also. I’m betting that significant recruiting announcements will be made this Spring that will make everyone most happy. I see next year as a significant year for the Aces program with who’s coming back, who will be eligible and new Spring recruits who will be eligible immediately.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54 am

muni cup14 wrote:Does it bother anyone besides myself that 4 of Marty's holdovers are starters.Are they that much better than the recruits that Walter brought in.
Or was Walter having to play catch up on recruiting and took the best players avaible.

muni cup14 wrote:Does it bother anyone besides myself that 4 of Marty's holdovers are starters.Are they that much better than the recruits that Walter brought in.

Well there are only 3 players he recruited eligible and 2 of them are true freshman that are getting significant minutes, so the answer is NO, what I am curious to see is if with Marty's recruits minus Dru and Ryan what our record in conference will be, I'm starting to believe we might be better.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:25 am

GoAcesgo wrote:

Well there are only 3 players he recruited eligible and 2 of them are true freshman that are getting significant minutes, so the answer is NO, what I am curious to see is if with Marty's recruits minus Dru and Ryan what our record in conference will be, I'm starting to believe we might be better.

Agree 100%. I really don’t understand the concern to be honest. Like AcesHigh said...who else is there to play? There are only 9 guys available and they all are playing. He’s trying to bring the freshman along slowly which is smart. Most coaches do the same unless it’s someone who is just so great they have to play right away. Someone like Colt Ryan. Usually any other freshman isn’t going to come in and start from the beginning.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:37 am

I never had a problem with who Marty recruited. He brought good talent in. It's just that he didn't do enough with them when they got here.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:02 pm

The ones who are starting are the ones with experience and more importantly size. Sheehan, also with 3 years college experience, starts and Newton and Givance are closing in on 20 productive minutes a game. I see no problem at all.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Purp wrote:I never had a problem with who Marty recruited. He brought good talent in. It's just that he didn't do enough with them when they got here.

I agree. Marty had a star system and everyone surrounding the star had to stifle their abilities and learn a role. What surprises me is that he recruited as well as he did. How did he convince recruits to join an antique offense and concede to supporting a chosen star? How would Mislav, Denver Holmes, Ned Cox, Adam Wing and others have done playing for Walter instead of Marty? It makes me ill thinking about it.

Return to “Class of 2019”