Re: 2019 WG Tristen Newton

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 pm

I hope that juwans lack of playing time so far does hurt our chances

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:17 pm

muni cup14 wrote:I hope that juwans lack of playing time so far does hurt our chances

I would have thought we would have heard something about why he didn't play at X. Here we go again with a lack of information from the athletic department, or nobody asking the question to the right person. I hope there isn't a problem that would affect Tristen. :?

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

acecard wrote:
muni cup14 wrote:I hope that juwans lack of playing time so far does hurt our chances

I would have thought we would have heard something about why he didn't play at X. Here we go again with a lack of information from the athletic department, or nobody asking the question to the right person. I hope there isn't a problem that would affect Tristen. :?

Let's take a positive spin on Juwan not playing. Perhaps they are considering a redshirt so they can play together for four years. Seems to make some sense to have two high scoring shooters on the floor.

The athletic department doesn't owe us squat for why a player didn't play in a specific game other than potential injury and I don't know they owe us that either. I don't recall stuff like that in the Crews era either.

Lastly, I expect everyone knows they can't comment on a recruit until the LOI is signed, sealed, and delivered.

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:
acecard wrote:

Let's take a positive spin on Juwan not playing. Perhaps they are considering a redshirt so they can play together for four years. Seems to make some sense to have two high scoring shooters on the floor.

The athletic department doesn't owe us squat for why a player didn't play in a specific game other than potential injury and I don't know they owe us that either. I don't recall stuff like that in the Crews era either.

Lastly, I expect everyone knows they can't comment on a recruit until the LOI is signed, sealed, and delivered.

Juwan cannot redshirt this season because he played in the Illinois game.

Redshirt Rules
For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.

Redshirted athletes are allowed to travel, practice and even dress for competition for their team during their redshirt season, but the minute they step on the playing field, they lose their redshirt status and use a season of eligibility.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:12 pm

I had thought of that too. Obviously, it is way to early to forecast how much playing time Juwaun will get as the season progresses. My hope is Juwaun's experience with UE has been a positive one and he would want his brother to come join him. It is probably safe to say that thus far, there are other players ahead of him. He is quite early in his basketball career. Not at all unusual that some freshmen may have to sit for awhile before they make an on the court impact.

pmh24
Evansville Courier & Press
Evansville Courier & Press
Fan Since: 2011

Postby pmh24 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:48 pm

acecard wrote:

"Freshman guard Jawaun Newton also did not play in what was called a coaches’ decision; he is not hurt nor was he said to be suspended."

https://www.courierpress.com/story/spor ... 892062002/

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:38 pm

acefan wrote:
stennisrm72 wrote:
acecard wrote:I would have thought we would have heard something about why he didn't play at X. Here we go again with a lack of information from the athletic department, or nobody asking the question to the right person. I hope there isn't a problem that would affect Tristen. :?

Juwan cannot redshirt this season because he played in the Illinois game.

Redshirt Rules
For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.

Redshirted athletes are allowed to travel, practice and even dress for competition for their team during their redshirt season, but the minute they step on the playing field, they lose their redshirt status and use a season of eligibility.

Fair enough. I did not check the NCAA website before making my statement. I thought there was a max on how much you could play before losing the option to redshirt.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Medical redshirt allows for a certain number of games played.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm

pmh24 wrote:
acecard wrote:

"Freshman guard Jawaun Newton also did not play in what was called a coaches’ decision; he is not hurt nor was he said to be suspended."

No, the Aces don't owe us squat about anything. All Pat has to do is ask Walter why he didn't play, and all Walter has to do is say, I didn't like the match up for him in that game. Nuff said, and we go on to another subject, but that doesn't mean we can't wonder why he didn't play.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

acecard wrote:
pmh24 wrote:
acecard wrote:I would have thought we would have heard something about why he didn't play at X. Here we go again with a lack of information from the athletic department, or nobody asking the question to the right person. I hope there isn't a problem that would affect Tristen. :?

No, the Aces don't owe us squat about anything. All Pat has to do is ask Walter why he didn't play, and all Walter has to do is say, I didn't like the match up for him in that game. Nuff said, and we go on to another subject, but that doesn't mean we can't wonder why he didn't play.

+100
He played a number of minutes tonight and did pretty well. He can take it to the rim and is athletic. I think he is going to help us over his four year career.

Return to “Class of 2019”