Scholarships

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Scholarships

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:14 pm

JohnU wrote:Gotta hope this Peace is not another Sergei Vucetic ... nothing worse than having a tree on the bench getting mopup minutes.

I understand what your saying.But almost every school has those players.Case in point,the kid from Pitt.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:20 pm

That kid from Pitt May soon become an Ace.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:56 pm

JohnU wrote:Gotta hope this Peace is not another Sergei Vucetic ... nothing worse than having a tree on the bench getting mopup minutes.

From the look of his youtube appearances, he is much better and more versatile than Vucetic. But he is not a franchise player and doesn't appear to be quick. He will not start without seeing big gains in skills. With our lack of size, even Vucetic would be helpful in spots this year, Peace has range and would be even more helpful under the current system.

JohnU
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:

From the look of his youtube appearances, he is much better and more versatile than Vucetic. But he is not a franchise player and doesn't appear to be quick. He will not start without seeing big gains in skills. With our lack of size, even Vucetic would be helpful in spots this year, Peace has range and would be even more helpful under the current system.

I guess, rather than say we 'wow got a 6-10 guy coming in next year,' we should be saying, he needs a lot of work to get the PT he obviously didn't get (hence, didn't like) at Pitt. If he gets the minutes Vucetic got, he's not getting more PT at all, so why is he really leaving Pitt? Not that it's a controversy, but he's not happy there.

If he isn't going to play more efficiently than Vucetic, we could use the scholly on a more adaptable player.
If all we want is a tall guy who **might** be decent, we got him.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 am

JohnU wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

I guess, rather than say we 'wow got a 6-10 guy coming in next year,' we should be saying, he needs a lot of work to get the PT he obviously didn't get (hence, didn't like) at Pitt. If he gets the minutes Vucetic got, he's not getting more PT at all, so why is he really leaving Pitt? Not that it's a controversy, but he's not happy there.

If he isn't going to play more efficiently than Vucetic, we could use the scholly on a more adaptable player.

It's possible that with the head coach we have, and his assistants, they might get him to the level of Dainius, or maybe a little better, but that doesn't mean we should stop looking for some one a hell of a lot better if we want to challenge for the MVC crown. I would agree that the scholly might be better spent, but sometimes mid majors have to take what they can get. If Walter wants him, who am I to disagree?

JohnU
Road Tripper

Postby JohnU » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:08 am

acecard wrote:
JohnU wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

It's possible that with the head coach we have, and his assistants, they might get him to the level of Dainius, or maybe a little better, but that doesn't mean we should stop looking for some one a hell of a lot better if we want to challenge for the MVC crown. I would agree that the scholly might be better spent, but sometimes mid majors have to take what they can get. If Walter wants him, who am I to disagree?

Well, you can wash your hands of any opinion by saying 'who am I to argue with the guy who knows more than I do?' That's just wishing away your opinion. But if that's all we have, then we can probably shut down the board.
Honestly, if a 6-10 guy wants to make the team, I am all for it. I really hope he pans out. Yes, I am sure Walter knows more about it than I do.

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 am

JohnU wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

While I can appreciate your always cautious measured approach, in this case you are comparing apples and oranges and fudging stats to reach the conclusion you started with. Stone Age Marty recruited far worse bigs than Vucetic. How about Matt Peeler and Zach House? The point is that you are comparing the poor recruiting record of the apple (Marty) to the recruiting of the orange (Walter). McCarty is assisted on the bench by a former NBA scout who one must assume was paid to find and evaluate talent. After seeing the play of Shamar and Jawaun and recognizing that 3 of next years starters with excellent resumes are sitting on the bench in street clothes, all of them plucked late in the recruiting season, so far I trust the oranges to recruit more than I trust you and the apples.

Back to Vucetic, had you put forth the effort and paid attention, you would know that Vucetic got more than "mopup" minutes. He averaged 11 minutes per game as a senior (compared to the 7 minutes Peace has seen at Pitt as a sophomore) and routinely saw half of that action in the first half. Not even Marty would "mopup" in the first half. Further, Marty shunned his bench for his entire tenure and used a 7-man rotation with four of them playing 35+ minutes if not the full 40. If you were a big and not adequate in Marty's eyes to screen for the designated MVC leading scorer you stayed glued to the bench. Don't blame Vucetic for that. His lack of minutes was baked into the cake before he hit campus the first time. Note that Peace is playing behind two other bigs who get 15 minutes a game and neither of them start. It's difficult to evaluate his potential when he is situated on a 10-3 ACC team with far more talent than the current Aces.

So loosen up for now, Marty is gone. And within a few years all of his 1950s motion offense recruits will be gone too. Maybe then, comparing oranges to oranges, you'll stop worrying that Walter recruits no better than Marty.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:21 pm

JohnU wrote:
acecard wrote:
JohnU wrote:I guess, rather than say we 'wow got a 6-10 guy coming in next year,' we should be saying, he needs a lot of work to get the PT he obviously didn't get (hence, didn't like) at Pitt. If he gets the minutes Vucetic got, he's not getting more PT at all, so why is he really leaving Pitt? Not that it's a controversy, but he's not happy there.

Well, you can wash your hands of any opinion by saying 'who am I to argue with the guy who knows more than I do?' That's just wishing away your opinion. But if that's all we have, then we can probably shut down the board.
Honestly, if a 6-10 guy wants to make the team, I am all for it. I really hope he pans out. Yes, I am sure Walter knows more about it than I do.

Well, if that's the way you feel, who am I to disagree? Why don't you ask pafan about how he would feel about shutting down the board?

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 pm

acecard wrote:Well, if that's the way you feel, who am I to disagree? Why don't you ask pafan about how he would feel about shutting down the board?

If JohnU wants it, I can arrange it. :shockue:
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

JohnU
Road Tripper

Postby JohnU » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't recall mentioning Marty Simmons at all in conjunction with this Peace kid.
I just wondered if he is any good.
Cheesh, sorry about the fruit stand you brought with you.

Return to “Class of 2019”