Postby Aces44 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:16 pm

He won’t be kept at 3 stars very long

stennisrm72
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Re: 2020 PF 6-9 WVA Obinna Anochili-Killen

Postby stennisrm72 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Aces44 wrote:He won’t be kept at 3 stars very long

I agree with you on this. Physically he's a man against his in the clip. Reminds me of some of the Wichita State big guys. I would love to have him.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 pm

While I agree that from the video the competition is weak, Obinaa is a special talent. He could be a big force.

Can't help but take notice of the much higher profile recruits that Walter and his staff have approached. Quite overwhelmingly different than what we had been accustomed.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm

letsgoAces wrote:While I agree that from the video the competition is weak, Obinaa is a special talent. He could be a big force.

Can't help but take notice of the much higher profile recruits that Walter and his staff have approached. Quite overwhelmingly different than what we had been accustomed.

When you have McCarty's pedigree as a player and coach and his personality you can persuade 3 and maybe 4 star players to land in Evansville.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 pm

When you have McCarty's pedigree as a player and coach and his personality you can persuade 3 and maybe 4 star players to land in Evansville.

McCarty has his eyes on the Butler and Xavier programs and how they jumped into National prominence. It only takes a few top notch recruits to spring your program to the next level. We have one or two of those at UE now. We are in a bit of a breather in recruiting for 2019. The next key cycle is 2020. McCarty and staff are knocking on some pretty big doors. If one or two of those open we could be on our way to great things.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

With one scholarship for next year, this would be my pick . A local boy would be great but I think this young mans skill level is better from all the video I’ve tracked down on both. IMHO

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Wed May 15, 2019 7:59 am

mybigpurplebrain wrote:With one scholarship for next year, this would be my pick . A local boy would be great but I think this young mans skill level is better from all the video I’ve tracked down on both. IMHO

Either of them would be great..I think in this case it would be a matter of who would say YES first.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed May 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Obinna A-K is the real deal and I can’t even imagine how the Aces would look with Obinna, Dixon and Williams across the front line. Throw John Hall into the mix and we could dominate the Valley. I like KP from Bosse but he has a lot of developing to do yet. Peace will dominate the 5 spot if he avoids foul trouble but with the numbers and substitute patterns I don’t see that as a problem. By picking up one or possibly two of these quality players we would have a baseline that has never existed at UE.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
mybigpurplebrain wrote:With one scholarship for next year, this would be my pick . A local boy would be great but I think this young mans skill level is better from all the video I’ve tracked down on both. IMHO

Either of them would be great..I think in this case it would be a matter of who would say YES first.

I would have to agree. I think Walter is finding the guys he wants and being honest with them saying we have x number available and whoever commits first gets it, playing the supply vs demand scheme...I like it. Nice to no longer be a "beggar" like in the past.

Go Aces !

PurpleWhiskers
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:

I would have to agree. I think Walter is finding the guys he wants and being honest with them saying we have x number available and whoever commits first gets it, playing the supply vs demand scheme...I like it. Nice to no longer be a "beggar" like in the past.

Go Aces !

I don't have any special insight into what strategies Walter employs as opposed to, say, Marty Simmons. But given the obvious fact that Marty had trouble recruiting anyone I doubt that he didn't also have the strategy of accepting the first commit who came along. He didn't have the luxury of holding a recruit in limbo to see if a better one steps up a month or two later. I think Walter recruits significantly better because Walter has NBA cred, is more relaxed and personable and plays a style that is more enjoyable to today's athletes. Showboat Marty screamed in every player's face who wasn't named Blake. Walter remained calm and patient all season with players who suffered 21 losses. He spent far more time sitting on the bench rather than stalking and screaming. Last year you could see the affection the transfers had for Walter on the sidelines before the halves started. They love playing for him. That's the difference. Marty's players loved having a scholarship and that's about it. Another thing, after Walter's first year, no one transferred, even the ones this board expected would. I'm having trouble recalling a year where no Aces transferred. If I am right and Walter has not only brought in better athletes but has instilled a deeper team chemistry from top to bottom we are in for a fun ride.

Return to “Class of 2020”