Fan Since: 1962

Re: 2020 Kiyron Powell

Postby acefan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Sure hope the boy stays home and his mom can come to ALL his home games.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am

Without sounding selfish if I were asked to advise Kiyron and his mother, my best advice would be to strongly consider the Evansville offer.

My reasoning is this. I had a son who was an athlete at a P-5 school some 2000 miles from our home. While the distance is not the same, the loss of connection is. His mother will be in constant worry about his well being and being limited to just a phone call periodically will not satisfy her concerns. The C&P article talks about how close knit the family is and his mother is by herself handling his separation.

Kiron's illness is controlled with medication and lab tests, but since it can occur without warning she will feel helpless all the time. How do I know this? During my son's Sophomore year he received an injury that kept him out of competition for most of the year. He received all the rehab that all athletes in a major D-1 program receives, but his mother and I worried constantly because we could not spend personal time with him. We finally took some vacation time and flew out to see him and talk to the trainers/medical staff, and to me this is nothing like what I feel Kiyron's mother will feel day to day by not seeing him. If he should have an epileptic attack while at school my experience tells me she will feel totally lost.

By having him close to home and under the eye of Walter, his staff and the University's training and medical staff these anxieties should be relieved. She will be able to see him at just about any time and he would be able to remain in contact with his current doctors. As a bonus, she will be able to watch Kiyron play throughout his collegiate career and not depend so much on others to tell her how he did. If he develops as projected these four years will be treasured by her and they should make the most of sharing them together. I know that I missed most of our son's collegiate experience and it can never be recaptured.

So Kiyron if you read this, give my thoughts above some serious thought. If you are capable of playing in the NBA, Walter and his staff will be capable of getting you there. Just as D-1 coaches have found you, NBA scouts will find you wherever you play collegiately.

Good luck to you young man and I hope your collegiate experience is all you want it to be.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:56 pm

AcesHigh wrote:Without sounding selfish if I were asked to advise Kiyron and his mother, my best advice would be to strongly consider the Evansville offer.

My reasoning is this. I had a son who was an athlete at a P-5 school some 2000 miles from our home. While the distance is not the same, the loss of connection is. His mother will be in constant worry about his well being and being limited to just a phone call periodically will not satisfy her concerns. The C&P article talks about how close knit the family is and his mother is by herself handling his separation.

Kiron's illness is controlled with medication and lab tests, but since it can occur without warning she will feel helpless all the time. How do I know this? During my son's Sophomore year he received an injury that kept him out of competition for most of the year. He received all the rehab that all athletes in a major D-1 program receives, but his mother and I worried constantly because we could not spend personal time with him. We finally took some vacation time and flew out to see him and talk to the trainers/medical staff, and to me this is nothing like what I feel Kiyron's mother will feel day to day by not seeing him. If he should have an epileptic attack while at school my experience tells me she will feel totally lost.

By having him close to home and under the eye of Walter, his staff and the University's training and medical staff these anxieties should be relieved. She will be able to see him at just about any time and he would be able to remain in contact with his current doctors. As a bonus, she will be able to watch Kiyron play throughout his collegiate career and not depend so much on others to tell her how he did. If he develops as projected these four years will be treasured by her and they should make the most of sharing them together. I know that I missed most of our son's collegiate experience and it can never be recaptured.

So Kiyron if you read this, give my thoughts above some serious thought. If you are capable of playing in the NBA, Walter and his staff will be capable of getting you there. Just as D-1 coaches have found you, NBA scouts will find you wherever you play collegiately.

Good luck to you young man and I hope your collegiate experience is all you want it to be.

Excellent Post and my feelings as well. Well put and thanks for the post. Hope we get him. He reminds me of Walter at this age.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:06 am

AcesHigh wrote:Without sounding selfish if I were asked to advise Kiyron and his mother, my best advice would be to strongly consider the Evansville offer.

Well said!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “Class of 2020”