Fan Since: 1962

Shooting Guards

Postby acefan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Shooting Guards

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for sharing the article. I think these two could be good players for us. However, as several of us have posted, playing time will be a problem. Taylor will probably be playing this position, or Smith which would be a mistake. That leaves a very limited amount of time for Hill and Frederking. He'll have to completely change the way he uses his bench for these two to be effective, which would be a very radical change for him.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for the link. It will indeed be interesting to see how the guard position shakes out. I personally believe Gibson and Smith will be starters and Taylor will play small forward. I anticipate that those three players are going to be on the court most of the time, and that rotating some combination of Kuhlman, Hall, Simmons, and Soloman, when substitutions are made. I am optimistic about Frederking but I don't think he is going to get a lot of playing time right away. How much Hill plays I think will depend on how far along the others are.
I will probably will be wrong as always, but this is my thinking right now :lol:

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 am

letsgoAces wrote:Thanks for the link. It will indeed be interesting to see how the guard position shakes out. I personally believe Gibson and Smith will be starters and Taylor will play small forward. I anticipate that those three players are going to be on the court most of the time, and that rotating some combination of Kuhlman, Hall, Simmons, and Soloman, when substitutions are made. I am optimistic about Frederking but I don't think he is going to get a lot of playing time right away. How much Hill plays I think will depend on how far along the others are.
I will probably will be wrong as always, but this is my thinking right now :lol:

Unfortunately, I think you are right, that's the lineup I fear most of all because that means Blake or Taylor are the 4 and Dru is the 2. I love Dru as a player, but I see his strengths being wasted as a two. He's too good as a PG, and he doesn't shoot well off screens. And either Blake or Taylor will be eaten alive as a 4.

As I have said before, it's not the roster that scares me for this season, there are some guys who I really like on it. It's the mix of players at certain positions and Marty's history of both playing time and bench use that's the biggest problem.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:23 am

Tom Servo wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:Thanks for the link. It will indeed be interesting to see how the guard position shakes out. I personally believe Gibson and Smith will be starters and Taylor will play small forward. I anticipate that those three players are going to be on the court most of the time, and that rotating some combination of Kuhlman, Hall, Simmons, and Soloman, when substitutions are made. I am optimistic about Frederking but I don't think he is going to get a lot of playing time right away. How much Hill plays I think will depend on how far along the others are.

Unfortunately, I think you are right, that's the lineup I fear most of all because that means Blake or Taylor are the 4 and Dru is the 2. I love Dru as a player, but I see his strengths being wasted as a two. He's too good as a PG, and he doesn't shoot well off screens. And either Blake or Taylor will be eaten alive as a 4.

As I have said before, it's not the roster that scares me for this season, there are some guys who I really like on it. It's the mix of players at certain positions and Marty's history of both playing time and bench use that's the biggest problem.

I understand what you are saying. On the plus side I do believe Smith and Gibson defensively have a chance to cause a lot of havoc for the opposition. Taylor has a chance to do the same at the three and the other guard positions. . But yes, we will be eaten alive at the 4 and probably get little production from the 5. As mentioned long ago, I sincerely believe the Aces will be fortunate to avoid a twenty plus loss season.

AcesHigh
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am

Blake will be a starter where he always was.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

AcesHigh wrote:Blake will be a starter where he always was.

What do they say? Death, and taxes, can't be avoided. Add Blake starting to that list. Blake's starting doesn't bother me that much. His playing time might.

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm

I would guess we'd start the season with experience. We have so many new players tho so that could change. ''Tis the season.

Gibson
Taylor
Simmons
Hainna
Traore

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1968

Postby COUTEAU » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Not a depth chart, in my prediction.
Just where I think we might see these ACES play throughout the season.
I agree..........Blake, Ryan, & Boo, are the only players that are locked into the starting rotation. With Dru getting the nod, a few times.
Many parts, more than years past, I believe will be interchangeable.

Boo, Dru, Marty, & KJ
Ryan, Dru, KJ, Noah, & Marty
Blake, KJ, Noah, & Ryan
King, John Hall, & Evan
Dalen, DC, Evan, John Hall, & King

go aces

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 am

I think this will be the lineup/guys who get the most minutes:

Gibson
Smith
Simmons
Taylor
A rotation of Hall, Kuhlman, Traore, DC, and Solomon - the usual 5 man center rotation.

To me, this lineup is a last place lineup, not because the players are bad, but because almost everyone is out of position.

What I hope to see, emphasizing hope:

1. Smith and Gibson platoon at the PG keeping each of them fresh to apply defensive pressure. KJ is insurance if Gibson gets hurt.
2. Some combination of Marty Hill, Frederking, and Taylor. If Hill and Frederking aren't ready, then Taylor would get most of the minutes. Those two were brought in to help with the shooting problems so I hope they can get minutes here.
3. Taylor and SImmons
4. Hall, Kuhlman and Solomon. I would hope Hall and Kuhlman can make this position a strength for us because both of them, on paper, should help us a lot in different areas, especially rebounding and shooting. Both needed desperately. Solomon could potentially be better if his knees are healthy but I don't know how much he can contribute.
5. Traore, DC, and Solomon platoon.

To me without seeing them play and just looking at video and scouting reports, this is what I hope to see, even though the chances of seeing it are about nil. If a couple of unknowns turned out well for us, I could see this rotation pushing 7-8 wins (maybe more) in a weak MVC. We'll know a whole lot more after hoopfest and after the first game. Like I said in another post - the roster isn't that bad, it's just a log jam to get playing time sorted out.

Edit: One other thing I didn't mention...If he plays something similar to what I have above, it helps us out for next year because a lot of players who will be coming back will get some heavy minutes. Definitely will give guys lots of experience.
- John Wooden

Return to “The Aces”