Re: Is this the new UE logo

Postby riverboat_gambler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Unfortunately

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:09 pm

It's my least favorite of the new logos - I like the script Aces and the Ace Purple much better than the UK logo...I mean UE logo.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Hard to figure UE played big money to come up with this.

Ace78
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:45 pm

I'm not feeling it either with this logo. I know they wanted it to look like the UK, UH, etc. logos, but I don't like it. I think it should be unique to UE, but that's my opinion.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:54 pm

It’s more than the logo - it’s branding. While the format of block interlocked letters may not be unique, the color scheme and moniker ‘UE’ is. The fact we are UE and not EU should no longer be in question.

Look around a bit - if I say ‘ISU’ who am I talking about? The Redbirds, Sycamores, or Cyclones? Speaking of, I bet most fans can’t distinguish Illinois St’s Redbird logo from Ball State or Louisville’s cardinal head logo. Butler’s bulldog is Georgia’s bulldog without his collar.

Branding is why Southwest Missouri St is now just Missouri St., Southeast Missouri no longer calls itself ‘SEMO.’ NE Missouri is Truman State and so on.

I have to admit, I wasn’t sure at first but it’s growing on me. I like it.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:00 am

I'm OK with the logos, the attempt to get away from misidentification of UE as Evansville Univ. or Evanston Univ. or placing us geographically somewhere near Chicago. I get all that.

Regardless of the logos and mascot change, I would like to see more evidence of initiatives that are fueling growth for UE in programs, student enrollment, and presence in the community. The school can do SO much more to promote itself, and this is what I saw as unfortunate when the Ath. Dept. let Lance Wilkerson go. Every entity needs a face to its constituency. When Lance was let go, it appeared that we lost some of that, but there is undoubtedly more to the story.

The reason I make this comment, is that UE needs an enthusiastic someone to carry the flag. This CAN be the president, but only if he/she has the right skills and has set this as a very high priority. Otherwise, there needs to be a point person who can unabashedly promote the school in all areas, with the goal to grow the school. I'm not fully informed, but my perception is that we are stuck between stagnant enrollment and reduction of study programs, just to keep budgets in line. This needs to be rebalanced, and quickly.

A "master plan" was developed in 2013, and is available on the internet, however, in retrospect, it was only words. UE took a proactive step in hiring WMc, and we are beginning to return to a relevant position in the conference. UE, as a larger entity needs to follow Walter's lead; amenities, more community outreach, better "players", and a sense of urgency.

Logos, branding, and mascots don't provide much return on investment, if there is no strong, master plan to be implemented with them.

purpleredbird
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:48 pm

ncace wrote:I'm OK with the logos, the attempt to get away from misidentification of UE as Evansville Univ. or Evanston Univ. or placing us geographically somewhere near Chicago. I get all that.

Regardless of the logos and mascot change, I would like to see more evidence of initiatives that are fueling growth for UE in programs, student enrollment, and presence in the community. The school can do SO much more to promote itself, and this is what I saw as unfortunate when the Ath. Dept. let Lance Wilkerson go. Every entity needs a face to its constituency. When Lance was let go, it appeared that we lost some of that, but there is undoubtedly more to the story.

The reason I make this comment, is that UE needs an enthusiastic someone to carry the flag. This CAN be the president, but only if he/she has the right skills and has set this as a very high priority. Otherwise, there needs to be a point person who can unabashedly promote the school in all areas, with the goal to grow the school. I'm not fully informed, but my perception is that we are stuck between stagnant enrollment and reduction of study programs, just to keep budgets in line. This needs to be rebalanced, and quickly.

A "master plan" was developed in 2013, and is available on the internet, however, in retrospect, it was only words. UE took a proactive step in hiring WMc, and we are beginning to return to a relevant position in the conference. UE, as a larger entity needs to follow Walter's lead; amenities, more community outreach, better "players", and a sense of urgency.

Logos, branding, and mascots don't provide much return on investment, if there is no strong, master plan to be implemented with them.

Agree! The log itself really means nothing if there is not a plan behind it that actually gets executed. Having spent 25+ years in IT, I have seen way too many "plans" proposed that are never executed on. Hoping EU.....sorry UE..... :D :D :D :D doesn't do that.

Return to “The Aces”