New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm
Fan Since: 1970

New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Meet the recruits UE basketball has recently offered

https://www.courierpress.com/sports/

Unfortunately I don’t have a subscription but if someone could paste the content of the article that would be great.

Thanks

Ryan Reynolds
Casual Fan
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Fan Since: 1988

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Ryan Reynolds » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Austin:

My name is Ryan Reynolds, and I work down at the Courier & Press with our UE beat writer, Chad LIndskog. I'm thrilled that you find our content worth reading, but would like to take the opportunity to remind you that digital subscriptions help us keep the lights on in an age that has seen print ad revenues shrink (dramatically) and paper and delivery costs increase (dramatically).

For us to continue to cover the Aces as much as we do, we need people who are interested in the articles to pony up a little $ to subscribe.

You can get 3 months for $5 right now, and the good news is that it'll help me keep Chad doing more of what you guys love. (For example, we're sending him to the Bahamas this year because it's a fairly big trip for the team.)

You can subscribe here: https://cm.courierpress.com/specialoffer/

If you have any other questions, please reach out to me at ryan.reynolds@courierpress.com. I've worked at the CP for 22 years now, grew up in Warrick County and have been attending Aces games since the 1980s, so I'm as invested as most folks when it comes to UE coverage.

(Also, and I didn't want to lead with this, but copying and pasting the article is a violation of copyright.)

Thanks again.

Ryan Reynolds

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm
Fan Since: 1970

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Just some thoughts on the article would work as well.

Thanks for all of your work.

Go Aces!!!

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm
Fan Since: 1970

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 pm

I should also say I didn’t mean any harm.

Ryan Reynolds
Casual Fan
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Fan Since: 1988

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Ryan Reynolds » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 pm

No harm done, no offense taken. Glad you’re interested in Chad’s stuff. Have a good weekend.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 am
Fan Since: 1971

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Aces & Eights » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:39 am

Ryan Reynolds wrote:
but would like to take the opportunity to remind you that digital subscriptions help us keep the lights on in an age that has seen print ad revenues shrink (dramatically) and paper and delivery costs increase (dramatically).


Maybe use some of that money to rehire a proofreader. Referring to UE as EU in the picture and the next page headline is totally unacceptable from Evansville's own newspaper.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 804
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:44 am
Fan Since: 1992

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby evilleman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:51 am

Ryan Reynolds wrote:Hi Austin:

My name is Ryan Reynolds, and I work down at the Courier & Press with our UE beat writer, Chad LIndskog. I'm thrilled that you find our content worth reading, but would like to take the opportunity to remind you that digital subscriptions help us keep the lights on in an age that has seen print ad revenues shrink (dramatically) and paper and delivery costs increase (dramatically).

For us to continue to cover the Aces as much as we do, we need people who are interested in the articles to pony up a little $ to subscribe.

You can get 3 months for $5 right now, and the good news is that it'll help me keep Chad doing more of what you guys love. (For example, we're sending him to the Bahamas this year because it's a fairly big trip for the team.)

You can subscribe here: https://cm.courierpress.com/specialoffer/

If you have any other questions, please reach out to me at ryan.reynolds@courierpress.com. I've worked at the CP for 22 years now, grew up in Warrick County and have been attending Aces games since the 1980s, so I'm as invested as most folks when it comes to UE coverage.

(Also, and I didn't want to lead with this, but copying and pasting the article is a violation of copyright.)

Thanks again.

Ryan Reynolds



Why can't I just read it for free? It's on the internet! :lol:

Thank you for all of your coverage. If Chad needs an unqualified photographer for the Bahamas trip my private messages are open.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2307
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby acecard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:54 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
Ryan Reynolds wrote:
but would like to take the opportunity to remind you that digital subscriptions help us keep the lights on in an age that has seen print ad revenues shrink (dramatically) and paper and delivery costs increase (dramatically).


Maybe use some of that money to rehire a proofreader. Referring to UE as EU in the picture and the next page headline is totally unacceptable from Evansville's own newspaper.

I saw that also, and couldn't believe it was from an Evansville newspaper. They have more Indy news than Evansville news, so it should not be a surprise.

Ryan Reynolds
Casual Fan
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Fan Since: 1988

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby Ryan Reynolds » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am

So here's an explanation for how an error like that gets into the print edition nowadays:

100 percent of the layout of the Evansville print edition is done in Louisville, at a design studio where dozens of people work doing design and layout for dozens of Gannett newspapers.

For sports, we send over the content, along with a list of where we'd like it to go on the cover of a section, as well as a list of stories for inside the sports section. They also have a list of what our preferences are locally (for example, if they're going to use an NFL story, the Colts are the biggest draw here, followed by the Bears and Titans. If it's baseball, we'd like the story to be about the Cards, Cubs or Reds if at all possible.)

Anyway, we send the material over and they do a layout on the page. If they take something we've send and do something we didn't do with it on our website, it opens up a possibility for an error on their end. This happened Wednesday night with the photo/caption in question. On our website, it was simply a photo ID'ing the player. When the design studio took it and made it a prominent layout piece, they banged out a quick caption different than what we sent them.

And over there, they don't know that the university's initials don't coincide with the European Union.

And when they're running behind to get things done, I don't always get a proof of the page to see. And THAT is how that sort of error gets into print.

It's maddening for me, but by the same token, even if there are flaws in the system that create these kinds of errors from time to time, the folks in Louisville doing the layout means I can keep my guys out doing reporting, writing and video highlights full-time. With a sports staff half the size of what it was a decade ago, that's important to me.

Thanks!

Ryan

wildbill
Road Tripper
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 pm
Fan Since: 1975

Re: New CouierPress article on recruits but only for new subscribers

Postby wildbill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:50 am

Let's be real clear, the Courier is becoming a complete joke. I still am a subscriber, but am very close to canceling it out. It's hard for me to believe that a legitimate publication would put an employee on a small message board and make idle threats about infringing on copyrighted materials....LOL

This paper must be about to go bankrupt. I do enjoy the articles about UE basketball, and that's the only reason I stay a purchasing customer. I have been a customer for a long time, way back when I had 2 daily papers delivered to me, the Courier (AM) and the Press (PM).

Quite honestly, I'm not sure it's worth the price.


Return to “The Aces”