2019 MVC Predictions

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: 2019 MVC Predictions

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:10 am

The Three Man Weave one was a pretty good article and I can buy a lot of the reasoning there. However, I just skimmed the 2nd article and saw a couple things that were immediate red flags. Item 1 - I saw "Dan Muller is a good coach" and laughed pretty hard. Then I saw McCarty referred to as McCartney - who is a great musician and songwriter but never knew he was coaching the Aces. Also they used the wrong form of "Their" instead of "they're." Needless to say - wouldn't put much stock in that one...

I will say though, I fully expect us to be picked around 8th in the MVC preseason poll.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Ad1770
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:13 am

Tom Servo wrote:The Three Man Weave one was a pretty good article and I can buy a lot of the reasoning there. However, I just skimmed the 2nd article and saw a couple things that were immediate red flags. Item 1 - I saw "Dan Muller is a good coach" and laughed pretty hard. Then I saw McCarty referred to as McCartney - who is a great musician and songwriter but never knew he was coaching the Aces. Also they used the wrong form of "Their" instead of "they're." Needless to say - wouldn't put much stock in that one...

I will say though, I fully expect us to be picked around 8th in the MVC preseason poll.

Well, considering that their “expert” is a stand up comedian (read his bio), I definitely put no stock into the ranking of it. Obviously he knows nothing about college basketball, let alone the MVC. Hopefully he is a better comedian then predicter.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

CA/ACE
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1963

Postby CA/ACE » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:47 pm

I was really impressed with what I saw at Hoopfest. We have several potentially "outstanding " newcomers to add to our returning vets, led by KJ, Hall, our three impressive juniors (Kuhlman/Frederking/Straub), two VASTLY improved sophs (Givance/Newton), and freshmen (Henderson, Alexander and Bobe). Can't wait to see "Peace" Illegoma when he is eligible. Cunliffe, Williams and Labinowitz, combined with those just listed , appear to me to have the makings of a top 3 MVC team, with potentially a championship at Arch Madness in March. Conference: 13-5... Season 20+ Wins (at least) are
my guesses, and maybe even 22-24 wins if we gel as a team early! This team will surprise many opponents. Beware of the 2019-20 Aces! ;)

EvilleWays
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1991

Postby EvilleWays » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:02 pm

CA/ACE wrote:I was really impressed with what I saw at Hoopfest. We have several potentially "outstanding " newcomers to add to our returning vets, led by KJ, Hall, our three impressive juniors (Kuhlman/Frederking/Straub), two VASTLY improved sophs (Givance/Newton), and freshmen (Henderson, Alexander and Bobe). Can't wait to see "Peace" Illegoma when he is eligible. Cunliffe, Williams and Labinowitz, combined with those just listed , appear to me to have the makings of a top 3 MVC team, with potentially a championship at Arch Madness in March. Conference: 13-5... Season 20+ Wins (at least) are
my guesses, and maybe even 22-24 wins if we gel as a team early! This team will surprise many opponents. Beware of the 2019-20 Aces! ;)

Every team's players look good in a dunk contest. I won't take the hype train up to 100 MPH until I see how we look against real competition. The Aces are probably going to be better than fans of other Valley programs think, but probably not quite as good as we Aces fans are thinking right now.

As I wrote on my blog yesterday, I just want to go a few weeks into MVC play where we're still in the conference race. In my adult lifetime we've never been relevant in February.

youngacesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:27 pm

EvilleWays wrote:
CA/ACE wrote:I was really impressed with what I saw at Hoopfest. We have several potentially "outstanding " newcomers to add to our returning vets, led by KJ, Hall, our three impressive juniors (Kuhlman/Frederking/Straub), two VASTLY improved sophs (Givance/Newton), and freshmen (Henderson, Alexander and Bobe). Can't wait to see "Peace" Illegoma when he is eligible. Cunliffe, Williams and Labinowitz, combined with those just listed , appear to me to have the makings of a top 3 MVC team, with potentially a championship at Arch Madness in March. Conference: 13-5... Season 20+ Wins (at least) are

Every team's players look good in a dunk contest. I won't take the hype train up to 100 MPH until I see how we look against real competition. The Aces are probably going to be better than fans of other Valley programs think, but probably not quite as good as we Aces fans are thinking right now.

As I wrote on my blog yesterday, I just want to go a few weeks into MVC play where we're still in the conference race. In my adult lifetime we've never been relevant in February.

Maybe my logic is flawed but here's how I look at it: we were close In a lot of games last year and it felt like 1 player would have made the difference in a lot of games. When i look around the league, the only 2 teams that are going to be really improved from last year are us and mizzou state in my opinion. Instead of having 1 player that will come in and make a difference, we have 3. In my opinion that sets up for a top 3 finish

ncace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:42 pm

I appreciate CA's enthusiasm. It's fun to speculate, but I don't think anyone is early marking. UE could be a very good team. I like DeAndre a lot, and if he, Sam, and Art get it going, we could be very, very tough, both home and away. These are not Frosh newcomers, but guys who've been around. This is going to be a two-phase season, IMHO. The pre-conf. Will be important, but the MVC is what really matters, and I think we'll be squarely in the middle of the conf. race and ready for the Arch. We want to win'em all, but there'll be no reason for anxiety if we've lost 5 before New Years.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:18 am

I really don't have a problem with not getting a lot of respect until we prove we deserve it, but Todd Hefferman's (SIU Beat Writer) MVC prediction shows not only a lack of respect, but a lack of any real insight. He should probably stick to writing Herrin Garage Sale notices. For those that don't want to read the article, he has us 9th, behind his rebuilding Salukis.

https://thesouthern.com/sports/college/ ... 0211c.html

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:04 pm

E-Villan wrote:I really don't have a problem with not getting a lot of respect until we prove we deserve it, but Todd Hefferman's (SIU Beat Writer) MVC prediction shows not only a lack of respect, but a lack of any real insight. He should probably stick to writing Herrin Garage Sale notices. For those that don't want to read the article, he has us 9th, behind his rebuilding Salukis.

Actually, the less respect the Aces get the more I love it. I am more than happy to see how others react when this Aces' s team take a big bite out of their conference foe's "azz" and see their reaction.

Aces & Cardinals 16
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 2006

Postby Aces & Cardinals 16 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:09 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
E-Villan wrote:I really don't have a problem with not getting a lot of respect until we prove we deserve it, but Todd Hefferman's (SIU Beat Writer) MVC prediction shows not only a lack of respect, but a lack of any real insight. He should probably stick to writing Herrin Garage Sale notices. For those that don't want to read the article, he has us 9th, behind his rebuilding Salukis.

Actually, the less respect the Aces get the more I love it. I am more than happy to see how others react when this Aces' s team take a big bite out of their conference foe's "azz" and see their reaction.

Same here. It is going to be a great surprise for some teams and fans. :D

wildbill
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I don't think that Carbondale writer has a clue. I would bet a grand UE doesn't finish next to last. What a joke. Can't wait to see how these reporters react to how well our kids play.

Return to “The Aces”