The UE Brand

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: The UE Brand

Postby E-Villan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 am

I think it might be a case of chicken and egg....

For us old timers, we can remember when you could get UE apparel all over town. Of course, we were winning and averaging over 10K a game. Was the awareness creating the market, or was the market creating the awareness?

Another issue with this, is back when it was easily available, retailing was much more local. Gus Doerner's and Woolsey's have been replaced with Dick's and Academy. These stores are so much more price driven. It is easier and cheaper to order quantity of IU and UK merchandise for 10-15 stores, than to specialty order for 1. That's not to say it can't be done. Sears and Penney's for example used to carry quite a bit of UE merchandise back then. Gordman's was one national retailer that recently had UE merchandise, unfortunately, it looks like their days are numbered.

With that said, there is no question UE is dropping the ball with marketing, branding, etc.. A while back, I compared what the Icemen were doing versus UE. At that time, the Icemen were actually outdrawing UE. They had business marquees all over town, beer schedules in many bars, local commercial radio, and an apparel shop highly visible across from the Ford Center. Now we have the Thunderbolts, who have done much less in regards to marketing. No radio, office and apparel hidden inside an office building, very few business marquees, and no schedules in bars, etc. As a result, it appears attendance is less than half of what the Icemen were doing. This perfectly illustrates the value of marketing and creating awareness.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 am

E-Villan wrote:I think it might be a case of chicken and egg....

For us old timers, we can remember when you could get UE apparel all over town. Of course, we were winning and averaging over 10K a game. Was the awareness creating the market, or was the market creating the awareness?

Another issue with this, is back when it was easily available, retailing was much more local. Gus Doerner's and Woolsey's have been replaced with Dick's and Academy. These stores are so much more price driven. It is easier and cheaper to order quantity of IU and UK merchandise for 10-15 stores, than to specialty order for 1. That's not to say it can't be done. Sears and Penney's for example used to carry quite a bit of UE merchandise back then. Gordman's was one national retailer that recently had UE merchandise, unfortunately, it looks like their days are numbered.

With that said, there is no question UE is dropping the ball with marketing, branding, etc.. A while back, I compared what the Icemen were doing versus UE. At that time, the Icemen were actually outdrawing UE. They had business marquees all over town, beer schedules in many bars, local commercial radio, and an apparel shop highly visible across from the Ford Center. Now we have the Thunderbolts, who have done much less in regards to marketing. No radio, office and apparel hidden inside an office building, very few business marquees, and no schedules in bars, etc. As a result, it appears attendance is less than half of what the Icemen were doing. This perfectly illustrates the value of marketing and creating awareness.

Good post, and very true. For a D1 team, UE sure doesn't seem to act like one. UE could increase attendance without getting better on the court if they would put more effort into promoting the program, but winning is the best promotion there is. If the same attitude is allowed to continue in the top administration, and athletic department, I don't see how the situation can improve.

ShootersShoot
New User
New User
Fan Since: 2014

Postby ShootersShoot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 am

Y'all are totally overestimating the amount of money the program has. Intense promotion is expensive. The reason why there aren't ticket deals, commercials, etc. is because all of that stuff is too expensive.

As for the apparel, we could really use some decent looking stuff. The apparel in the bookstore is either hideous or way overpriced.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:37 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:Y'all are totally overestimating the amount of money the program has. Intense promotion is expensive. The reason why there aren't ticket deals, commercials, etc. is because all of that stuff is too expensive.

As for the apparel, we could really use some decent looking stuff. The apparel in the bookstore is either hideous or way overpriced.

Most of what has been posted is simply doing things that we did for many years. Sorry, I don't buy the no cash for marketing. What efforts has the University taken to increase donations, support, etc for increased marketing??? They want new practice facilities..bam, money shows up, start up track teams, bam, money shows up...etc

How much more money would there be if they simply increased average attendance back to 8,000? You have to spend money to make money. There is a reason successful companies have successful marketing plans.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
GA Ace wrote:https://19nine.com/collections/evansville-aces

19nine.com had more UE items previously available but only has a shirt and shorts at this time for sale. In a nod to a previous topic regarding the UE logo, I'd personally like to see the Ace Purple logo from the shirt and the deck of cards from the shorts used. Not sure what the current star is all about. Of the four owners of 19nine, 2 are from Evansville, a Reitz and MD grad. $65 is a bit steep for the shorts but I'll take the XL if anyone is buying.

I've got one of the old school Ace Purple T shirts, really like it!

New Purple Aces shirt from 19nine.com. I really miss this logo (no star) and version of Ace Purple. You can get free shipping through Friday, June 23, with promo code SUMMER. I am in no way affiliated with this company but have ordered from them in the past and receive their emails from time to time. I believe two of the owners are from Evansville (Reitz and MD grads).

https://19nine.com/collections/evansvil ... basketball

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:39 am

GA Ace wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
GA Ace wrote:https://19nine.com/collections/evansville-aces

19nine.com had more UE items previously available but only has a shirt and shorts at this time for sale. In a nod to a previous topic regarding the UE logo, I'd personally like to see the Ace Purple logo from the shirt and the deck of cards from the shorts used. Not sure what the current star is all about. Of the four owners of 19nine, 2 are from Evansville, a Reitz and MD grad. $65 is a bit steep for the shorts but I'll take the XL if anyone is buying.

I've got one of the old school Ace Purple T shirts, really like it!

New Purple Aces shirt from 19nine.com. I really miss this logo (no star) and version of Ace Purple. You can get free shipping through Friday, June 23, with promo code SUMMER. I am in no way affiliated with this company but have ordered from them in the past and receive their emails from time to time. I believe two of the owners are from Evansville (Reitz and MD grads).

https://19nine.com/collections/evansvil ... basketball

Nice shirt, mine is pretty similar to that but I think it's a little bit older, unfortunately it appears to be sold out. It looks like this:
https://19nine.com/collections/evansvil ... ace-purple
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am

My son bought me one a couple of years ago,real soft fabric.
Now,let's get rid of the Merfeld,McGillis star logo,it's a jinx.
What does a Star have to do anything with Ace Purple.

Aces Aces
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces Aces » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:45 am

Tom Servo wrote:
bryan_05 wrote:Class of '06 here. Third generation UE grad, fan since the Xavier rivalry days.

I was in town last weekend on a Sunday and went to the mall to update my UE gear. I couldn't find a single thing. There was USI stuff and an asinine amount of IU and Purdue gear, but UE was nowhere to be seen. I stumbled upon some ugly shirts at Meijer, but that was it.

Who is in charge of branding the university? Wouldn't it be great to see local kids in UE gear like the countless kids in Champaign county with University of Illinois everything? Obviously, UE's brand won't match a Big 10 school, but to see nothing is embarrassing for the University.

Who is in charge of marketing/branding?

Great post, totally agree. It's the same thing as all the other things we post about on here. It comes across as a complete lack of effort/mailing it in. Whether that's the case or not I don't know, but that's what it looks like. Just like no games on tv, no band, no advertisements, no Ace Purple, the list just goes on and on...

I dont know who's job it is to get The UE Brand out there....but whoever it is, Is'nt Doing Their Job! The President and the Administration at UE really need to decide IF they care about being Division 1.....IF they do....Then Act Like It and Put Some REAL Effort Into Promoting Their Athletics and Coaches.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am

Aces Aces wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
bryan_05 wrote:Class of '06 here. Third generation UE grad, fan since the Xavier rivalry days.

I was in town last weekend on a Sunday and went to the mall to update my UE gear. I couldn't find a single thing. There was USI stuff and an asinine amount of IU and Purdue gear, but UE was nowhere to be seen. I stumbled upon some ugly shirts at Meijer, but that was it.

Who is in charge of branding the university? Wouldn't it be great to see local kids in UE gear like the countless kids in Champaign county with University of Illinois everything? Obviously, UE's brand won't match a Big 10 school, but to see nothing is embarrassing for the University.

Who is in charge of marketing/branding?

Great post, totally agree. It's the same thing as all the other things we post about on here. It comes across as a complete lack of effort/mailing it in. Whether that's the case or not I don't know, but that's what it looks like. Just like no games on tv, no band, no advertisements, no Ace Purple, the list just goes on and on...

I dont know who's job it is to get The UE Brand out there....but whoever it is, Is'nt Doing Their Job! The President and the Administration at UE really need to decide IF they care about being Division 1.....IF they do....Then Act Like It and Put Some REAL Effort Into Promoting Their Athletics and Coaches.

Could not have said it better! thank you

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:39 pm

I posted​ back in mid-March, at the beginning of this thread.
Sounds like it could be a small (even part time) business opportunity up there, in Southern Indiana.
If you could get a meeting with the "powers that be"
I might think they wouldn't mind if someone took over a part of the off campus merchandising, for a 5% cut.

Return to “The Aces”