The UE Brand

Discussions of all the Aces sports
klinky
Head Cheerleader

Re: The UE Brand

Postby klinky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Joe Downs‏ @jdowns14news
Just wanted to let our great 14 Sports Facebook fans that this will be my last night on 14 News. Thank you for all the support!

Corey Clayton‏ @coreyclayton14
where u going to

Joe Downs‏ @jdowns14news
Replying to @coreyclayton14
University of Evansville. Sports Information Department

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Considering he is the Sports Director at WFIE, I would have to think UE was offering him something pretty good. Does this mean they are stepping up a bit?

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Let's hope so because it seems as a non-Evansville resident some of you make it sound like there might be pockets of people in Evansville that don't even know the Aces exist.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:27 pm

According to the staff director, there isn't a SID listed. I assume that is the position that Joe is taking. Have we not had a SID recently?

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 pm

I think Bob Pristash had been the SID the last couple years. His new title is "Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations (VB, XC, MBB, Golf, SB, WTEN)." I don't know if that interprets to mean SID, or if it's something else.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Bob hasn't gone anywhere. That fancy job title is just Mark Spencer handing out fancy job titles.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 pm

I just found out about Homefield Apparel, an Indianapolis-based company that sells T-shirts and sweatshirts of colleges and universities in the state of Indiana. The company manufactures their clothing in Indianapolis. Their website just launched today and they currently have three UE items with retro designs. I have no affiliation with the company, just thought I'd inform my fellow Aces fans that the site exists. The prices are a bit steep, $32 T-shirts and a $58 sweatshirt, but I haven't seen these Aces logo in a while so it might be nice to have something without the Aces' current star logo mess. They currently have a 20% off discount that I listed below. The company link is below:

https://www.homefieldapparel.com/collec ... aces-store

Use promo code NEWS20 to get 20% off your order.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 pm

GA Ace wrote:I just found out about Homefield Apparel, an Indianapolis-based company that sells T-shirts and sweatshirts of colleges and universities in the state of Indiana. The company manufactures their clothing in Indianapolis. Their website just launched today and they currently have three UE items with retro designs. I have no affiliation with the company, just thought I'd inform my fellow Aces fans that the site exists. The prices are a bit steep, $32 T-shirts and a $58 sweatshirt, but I haven't seen these Aces logo in a while so it might be nice to have something without the Aces' current star logo mess. They currently have a 20% off discount that I listed below. The company link is below:

I have no affiliation to this firm either but I prefer to support the local Evansville retailers. Golf Plus carries some Aces gear, I believe Advision may also carry Aces gear and of course the bookstore usually has some things as well. With the season not real far away with the new coaching staff wearing a variety of new things out and about I think we may see some new items and new designs as the season gets closer. If I see anything I will post it here and try to get some pics.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm

GA Ace wrote:I just found out about Homefield Apparel, an Indianapolis-based company that sells T-shirts and sweatshirts of colleges and universities in the state of Indiana. The company manufactures their clothing in Indianapolis. Their website just launched today and they currently have three UE items with retro designs. I have no affiliation with the company, just thought I'd inform my fellow Aces fans that the site exists. The prices are a bit steep, $32 T-shirts and a $58 sweatshirt, but I haven't seen these Aces logo in a while so it might be nice to have something without the Aces' current star logo mess. They currently have a 20% off discount that I listed below. The company link is below:

Love all three of these. And this reminds me of another point: the first order of business for the Aces High Fan Club should be to fight like hell to dump the star logo.

That thing is ready-made, quick-fix, boardroom-approved, cookie-cutter stock photo of what "edgy" and "Xtreme" looked like 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure the school asked a marketing company, "If the Merfeld hire were a logo, what would it be? Because we want that." It probably looked fine at first. (I don't remember hating it so much when I was excited about Matt Webster, Ely/Holsinger, Egidijus/DJ, JB, Mislav, etc.) But now it just makes me think of how dusty and mediocre the program had become.

Blow that thing up like the Bartman ball. A re-brand for the 2019-20 season would be perfect timing, and the style of this Homefield Apparel stuff is a good place to start. Let's aim for more of an updated “Jerry Sloan/Larry Humes-era” look this time . . . and away from the Saturday-morning-cartoon-commercial look.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:04 am

fg4ster wrote:

Love all three of these. And this reminds me of another point: the first order of business for the Aces High Fan Club should be to fight like hell to dump the star logo.

That thing is ready-made, quick-fix, boardroom-approved, cookie-cutter stock photo of what "edgy" and "Xtreme" looked like 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure the school asked a marketing company, "If the Merfeld hire were a logo, what would it be? Because we want that." It probably looked fine at first. (I don't remember hating it so much when I was excited about Matt Webster, Ely/Holsinger, Egidijus/DJ, JB, Mislav, etc.) But now it just makes me think of how dusty and mediocre the program had become.

Blow that thing up like the Bartman ball. A re-brand for the 2019-20 season would be perfect timing, and the style of this Homefield Apparel stuff is a good place to start. Let's aim for more of an updated “Jerry Sloan/Larry Humes-era” look this time . . . and away from the Saturday-morning-cartoon-commercial look.

I could not agree more with both of these posts!

I've got a shirt similar to the one in the link below - expect mine is a purple shade instead of grey but it's the same Ace Purple logo just without the coloring (can't seem to find it online as this was a couple years ago). I would certainly be in favor of going to something similar to this and away from the star. There aren't very many good memories with that Star Logo and it is very generic (at best).

https://19nine.com/products/aces-basketball

There was some discussion about Ace Purple and the logo at the season ticket holder meeting a couple months ago (off the record not during the actual meeting). Nothing official came from this but I think there could be something in the works, a couple friends of mine, my parents, and I talked to one of the people in the athletics department. We can only hope, ironically, I was wearing my retro Ace Purple shirt when we talked at the meeting. I am not a fan of the current Ace Purple either (the costume not the person inside).
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Return to “The Aces”