What are our needs

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ACEPURPLE84
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Re: What are our needs

Postby ACEPURPLE84 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 pm

We need 3 point shooters. Good ones. Eaves showed signs he would pull the trigger. And so did Taylor. But they need to be consistent. Watching the tourney it showed if we want to be successful we must shoot 3's.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Right now are biggest need with one scholarship remaining is a quality big man - no question IMO. Only options now are Silas and Traore. Hoping for big things from Silas but he is only 6-8 (and unproven at the moment). We lost Vucetic, Howard, and Wiley from last year who played the bulk of the minutes at the 5 spot. I would like to see Silas at the PF spot; but he will probably have to play the 5 a lot out of necessity. Evan Kuhlman is supposedly a 6-7 to 6-8 PF, so don't want him to have to play out of position either.

The 3-point shooting has been addressed as much as it can be with the new recruits of Noah, Evan and Marty. Then you factor in the returning redshirts of Blake, John Hall and even Silas. Not to mention players like Ryan Taylor, Javieon and Dru coming back. If we are not ok on 3 point shooting I don't think it will be Marty' or the coaching staff's fault this time around but we will see.

The needs for the following year with players like Gibson and Traore (and Blake graduating): The biggest need will be a point guard; a pretty close second would be another big guy; and then you just take the best available players that fit your system after that with the one or two scholarships left - hopefully Hainna will be back for his third year but currently it is possible his scholarship could be freed up as well.

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Austin Ace wrote:Right now are biggest need with one scholarship remaining is a quality big man - no question IMO. Only options now are Silas and Traore. Hoping for big things from Silas but he is only 6-8 (and unproven at the moment).

I've heard that Silas is still growing. He arrived on campus at 6' 8" but has now grown to 6' 10" .

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 pm

acefan wrote:I've heard that Silas is still growing. He arrived on campus at 6' 8" but has now grown to 6' 10" .

I don't know about that, but that is encouraging. He is officially listed at 6-8 and 235 lbs.

Either way we still need another quality big man IMHO.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Rapid growth leads to non-coordinated Leads to fouls While Traore maybe able to relieve Silas then a JUCO center is needed just to be covered at the position
TIME FORCHANGE

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 am

Our needs are one,a big man who can play Inside and outside.
A shooting gaurd.I know we have Noah but we need multiple people
Who can hit the three.
I believe with the signing of Marty that Noah will be red shirted

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am

We need a true power big man like Vance Johnson to team up with Traore to play the center position. That would allow Adheke and Hall to play the power forward position and use their athleticism, ability to knock down a mid range shot, and take the ball to the rim off the dribble. I see Taylor, Hill, Simmons, Hainna, and Eaves covering the shooting guard and small forward positions. Finally, the point will be in good hands with Gibson and Smith running the offense.

In my opinion, this would allow Frederking and Kuhlman the chance to redshirt.

I'd like to see this lineup:
Boo - Point
Hill - SG
Taylor - SF
Adheke - PF
Johnson - Center

2nd unit:
Smith - PG
Simmons/Eaves - SG
Simmons/Hainna - SF
Hall - PF
Traore - C

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

@ ACES101 good assessment but I would start Dru at the Point and use Boo to spell him. Boo is very worthy of starting but I think getting Dru the experience is more important.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 am

UE0958 wrote:@ ACES101 good assessment but I would start Dru at the Point and use Boo to spell him. Boo is very worthy of starting but I think getting Dru the experience is more important.

I second this, Dru Smith is the future and when he was playing on his game last year, he really made a big difference for us. Also a great defender.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:14 am

I agree with Dru starting, but I know Marty doesn't like to change it up much. When Boo's been healthy, he has started.

Return to “The Aces”