What are our needs

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Re: What are our needs

Postby Austin Ace » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm

The 6-9 in your equation is a big if in my mind. Now your tallest guy in that lineup is 6-6.

Any way you cut it we need another quality big man with this last scholarship.

But I do like the pieces that go around any mystery big man that we might bit up in the near future.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I should qualify when I say Traore is a big if; a big if in two regards:

1) Is his back healthy enough to play consistently - he didn't play a single minute the last month of the season (something like the last nine games he did not play); and

2) Even if he is healthy, I'm thinking he would be very lucky to log 20 minutes a game. I think it would be more like 10-15, with 20 as the max on average. Just my opinion.

But as last year we have a lot of unknowns at the 5 position right now. So all of this is speculation.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Sat May 06, 2017 1:13 pm

stl scooter wrote:The signing period started 4/12 (yesterday) and runs through 5/17.

As Stl scooter mentioned the signing period ends on May 17th which is fast approaching. Will be interesting to see if we sign someone before the deadline.

We can still bring someone in after May 17th like we have done quite often in past years but I believe they are not "bound" until they sign their LOI which can only be signed in May and November during the signing periods- correct me if I am wrong. So what is the downside if we don't sign someone by May 17th - they are not bound and can leave?

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Sat May 06, 2017 1:45 pm

The downside in my opinion is that basically you have a player that no one else wanted to commit a scholarship to. Yes the school may have had no scholarships available but the player was very low on the recruiting list. Also, a non letter commitment is no better than a walk on. You may not know if they will show up at your school until they enroll in classes in the fall. They could even participate in summer programs and go somewhere else in the fall without penalty.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader

Postby Austin Ace » Sat May 06, 2017 2:17 pm

On the bright side, John Hall and Egidijus fell into this group - that is, they signed after the May LOI deadline. Egidijus turned out pretty good and I have high hopes for Mr. Hall - time will tell. But I agree the pickings are a lot slimmer after May; so the odds of getting a quality player go down. But there is still hope - I know our coaching staff is working very hard to bring in the best player/person they can.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:27 pm

The ACES, with the accolades The University of Evansville's Drama Dept collects, needs to find a 6'10 250 lbs. song and dance man.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Players,not bodys.Three open scholarships this late in the year is freaking pitiful

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:17 am

muni cup14 wrote:Players,not bodys.Three open scholarships this late in the year is freaking pitiful

It really doesn't give one a feeling that they are on top of the situation does it? If they don't get some impact players with those 3 scholly's it's going to be a real disaster. Anybody who thinks this team will be relevant next year without an up grade in personnel is living in La la Land.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 am

I agree. I can't think of a single justification for a coach to be in his 11th season and sitting on 3 open scholarships in the middle of June.

I am being serious here, if the situation is as it appears, why not go ahead and can Simmons now? Seriously....why wait and go through what will obviously be a disasterous season, then do it? If we are going to eat a crap sandwich this year, why not let it be the inevitable one a new coaching staff eats in their first season. Letting Marty have another season will only extend the bottoming out.

Unless there are players we aren't aware of, I see absolutely no reason not to send him out the door immediately.

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am

At this point I am not very hopeful that we land much help and if so I would rather leave the scholarships open if we are to assume a new coach will be in charge of the Aces next season.

Unlikely any of us know what is truly going on but I will throw out a wild ass assumption. Suppose AD Spencer has already been given the green light to begin searching for a new coach. Thus he is wanting to hold open scholarships for whomever he lands for next season. AD Spencer would have some potential coaches very interested in the idea of having 7 open scholarships (3 open now + Gibson, Hainna, Simmons and Traore). Returning in the 2018-19 season at this point would be Frederking, Hall, Hill, Kuhlman, Smith and Taylor and this small number of six could even be less if any defections occurred due to a coaching change (or any other reason).

On a personal basis it would allow Marty the honor of being Blake's Coach for his Senior season.

Return to “The Aces”