What are our needs

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: What are our needs

Postby pafan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:53 am

E-Villan wrote:I am being serious here, if the situation is as it appears, why not go ahead and can Simmons now?

Do you want Spencer to name an "interim coach" for an entire season?

UE0958 wrote:Unlikely any of us know what is truly going on but I will throw out a wild ass assumption. Suppose AD Spencer has already been given the green light to begin searching for a new coach. Thus he is wanting to hold open scholarships for whomever he lands for next season. AD Spencer would have some potential coaches very interested in the idea of having 7 open scholarships (3 open now + Gibson, Hainna, Simmons and Traore). Returning in the 2018-19 season at this point would be Frederking, Hall, Hill, Kuhlman, Smith and Taylor and this small number of six could even be less if any defections occurred due to a coaching change (or any other reason).

Any new coach would have carte blanche to clean house however he saw fit, so I don't think this is it.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Does anyone know what the buyout is for Marty's contract? That to me is the biggest question. Do know I have been a big supporter of Marty over the years. We all have our opinions on this matter and at the moment I don't have the energy or desire to make a defense for the program. But this off season has been a nightmare - not because the coaching staff didn't get our "top choice recruits" but because they couldn't even land our third or forth choices.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 am

pafan wrote:
E-Villan wrote:I am being serious here, if the situation is as it appears, why not go ahead and can Simmons now?

Not if it is done now. If the situation is as dire as it appears, why not? My hope would be before Spencer cans Marty, that he would have a list and have feelers out. Why not have someone lined up and agreed to before you announce the firing? Seems too often, a school fires a coach, and then gets publicly rejected by a candidate. Look at what just happened at Ohio State. I understand confidentiality, and possible leaks, but I would assume a solid AD would have a gameplan in place first. If we start the season, lose the first 10 or so, and it is apparent Marty has lost the program, then pull a Drake, name a interim and finish the season. I would just prefer to avoid that if things are as they appear.

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 am

E-Villan wrote:
pafan wrote:

Not if it is done now. If the situation is as dire as it appears, why not? My hope would be before Spencer cans Marty, that he would have a list and have feelers out. Why not have someone lined up and agreed to before you announce the firing? Seems too often, a school fires a coach, and then gets publicly rejected by a candidate. Look at what just happened at Ohio State. I understand confidentiality, and possible leaks, but I would assume a solid AD would have a gameplan in place first. If we start the season, lose the first 10 or so, and it is apparent Marty has lost the program, then pull a Drake, name a interim and finish the season. I would just prefer to avoid that if things are as they appear.

Well stated E-Villan / we can definitely hope Spencer has a plan in place and names he would go after. The bigger question is if the UE Administration realize the condition of the Men's Basketball program and if they care enough to be proactive in providing AD Spencer the support he needs.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:13 pm

UE0958 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:
pafan wrote:

Well stated E-Villan / we can definitely hope Spencer has a plan in place and names he would go after. The bigger question is if the UE Administration realize the condition of the Men's Basketball program and if they care enough to be proactive in providing AD Spencer the support he needs.

I agree. Firing Marty and replacing him with another shortsighted and non-qualified move will do nothing to improve the program. We can only hope they do care enough, and give ADMS the tools to do it better this time around. If these discussions aren't already taking place, then somebody is not doing their job.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:54 pm

E-Villan wrote:
pafan wrote:

Not if it is done now. If the situation is as dire as it appears, why not?

I asked because no one had a positive thing to say about Spencer when he fired Oties Epps and hired an "interim" coach in March/April of '16. I'm not following the logic of why it is bad a bad idea to hire an interim coach in April, and also bad in December, but a good idea in June.

It's not like UE's trajectory for 2017-18 has changed much since bowing out of Arch Madness on March 4th. I was projecting a 9th place or worse team before Silas and Jaiveon left, and I am still projecting be a 9th place or worse Aces team.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Thats not what I meant. I meant if things look this bad, why not go ahead now and can him, in the hopes we can land a permanent coach. An interim coach IMO would only be appropriate if Marty was canned during the actual season. June should be a spot where we can make a calculated hire.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

A new head coach

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 pm

The list is long.