FBI NCAA Corruption Arrests - Bruce Pearl/Chuck Person(Auburn)

Discussions of all the Aces sports
stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Re: FBI NCAA Corruption Arrests - Bruce Pearl/Chuck Person(Auburn)

Postby stl scooter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Auburn is now offering full refunds for season ticket purchases for this season. Wow!

https://articles.al.com/auburnbasketbal ... unds_f.amp
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

klinky
Head Cheerleader

Postby klinky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:03 pm

stl scooter wrote:
klinky wrote:Investigation moving to Nike quickly:

Darren Heitner (@DarrenHeitner)
Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

List of Nike EYBL players in the 2017 NBA draft:
http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/806661

Do all of these schools have Nike contracts?

I'm not sure about each but believe Duke, Kentucky, Purdue, Syracuse and North Carolina are all Nike schools. I think Indiana is Adidas.

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 pm

klinky wrote:
stl scooter wrote:
klinky wrote:Investigation moving to Nike quickly:

Darren Heitner (@DarrenHeitner)
Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

List of Nike EYBL players in the 2017 NBA draft:
http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/806661

Do all of these schools have Nike contracts?

I'm not sure about each but believe Duke, Kentucky, Purdue, Syracuse and North Carolina are all Nike schools. I think Indiana is Adidas.

Yes, Indiana is Adidas. Duke, UK, Purdue, SYR, and North Carolina (Air Jordan) are Nike. South Carolina and Auburn are UA.

klinky
Head Cheerleader

Postby klinky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Wednesday evening update:

Pat Forde‏ Verified account
New story: NCAA basketball scandal spreads to Alabama, involves staffer who formerly worked in ... NCAA enforcement

"Wednesday night, Alabama accepted the resignation of men’s basketball administrator Kobie Baker after an internal review. Baker’s previous job: assistant director of enforcement at the NCAA."

"For someone who formerly worked as one of the NCAA rules cops to be caught up in whatever Alabama found, on the heels of the bombshell dropped by the feds Tuesday, hints at the profound credibility problems facing the sport."

"The scandal already has effectively ended the Louisville tenure of Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino and his accomplished athletic director, Tom Jurich. Other jobs could clearly be in jeopardy, as well, at Louisville and beyond. And there is no telling when or where this FBI probe could go.

But when former NCAA compliance workers are part of the fallout, the sport is in uncharted territory of trouble."

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 pm

First I'd like to say, "hope they all get what they deserve".

Seriously doubt that anyone will ever see jail time. But, could you imagine this kind of fraud and blatant cheating in anything other than "sports" and not spending time in a Federal Penitentiary?

Now my rant.........

I've said since they implemented the rule.....
Biggest mistake The NBA & NCAA, made was not allowing high school kids go straight into, The NBA.
That "one year rule", created this entire mess.
The NBA, didn't want to babysit 18 year old kids.
And, The D League, would have to expand to 50 (or more) teams, to accommodate the flow of high school wanna be NBA players.
The NBA. took the attitude to just let the colleges and universities weed out the potential future draft choices.
That rule created prep school basketball factories, for kids that were unable to keep up academically. But, had a sweet 18 foot jumper and could touch his elbows to the rim, flat footed.
With the, "one year removed from high school rule", The AAU and shoe companies saw the door jarred open and could attach themselves to a few dozen kids, knowing all they needed was no more than a handful, to return their investments in shoes and apparel.
What better way to secure that investment than to sign major universities and (or) big name coaches to more shoe and apparel contracts. Promising them first and perhaps only shot at that 6'5" teenager with a 40 inch vertical.....just take care of his family....."and oh, by the way, we've got three coming up right behind him".....
Those 15 year old kid(s) they latched on to, end up at UK, UNC, Louisville, ect. The program makes a run through the tournament, in his one and only year and he's selected in the first round.
Reload and do it again.

Open up The NBA, to take kids right out of high school again. Increase the number of D League teams.
If a kid wants to go that route, fine....good luck to you.
If he can't make it in the D league, there's always the possibility of playing over sea.
Or, if NIKE, Adidas, Puma, ect.... truly cared about those 15 year olds, they cuddled up to, they could develop a NBA minor league.
Max out scholarships to 15. (An exception would or could ONLY be because of injury)
And, obviously if a student leaves the program and continues his college career. (playing D1, 2, or 3)
If student just drops out of school and doesn't enroll in another institution......That particular scholarship could become valid again after only one year.
If those schools, that have always been able to get those superior athletes, want to take a chance on recruiting a kid that will leave after his Freshman season, fine.....The following three years, that school has only 14 scholarships available.
If three leave, 'cause that program went after those "lottery type pick" student athlete....OK, now they only have 12 available, the next three seasons.
The scholarships would cycle though four years. Same as any regular college experience would be.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 pm

My gut is telling me this is all just the tip of the iceberg. Could this go to mid major schools as well? Any coach/AD/staff that thought they could get away with it with a rich booster or two could be in the mix. The more schools they find involved the better for UE and our staff who has tried to do things the right way from all I hear.

We are not winning, so we must not be cheating and buying playerss :lol:

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 pm

IMO, it wouldn't work for the shoe company to throw $ at a high school player to sign with a "mid major." The shoe company is counting on the player to be "one and done." Another benefit for the shoe company sending a player to a high profile school is that player comes to the NBA with a built in fan base. Ron Baker wasn't going to get 10,000 kids to buy his (Nike, Adidas, UA, etc.) shoes...Jayson Tatum (Duke) or De'Aaron Fox (UK) might.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:My gut is telling me this is all just the tip of the iceberg. Could this go to mid major schools as well? Any coach/AD/staff that thought they could get away with it with a rich booster or two could be in the mix. The more schools they find involved the better for UE and our staff who has tried to do things the right way from all I hear.

We are not winning, so we must not be cheating and buying playerss :lol:

If we are cheating we are doing a p poor job of it.

Purple&Orange
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:40 am

Who knows who will all be implicated in this by the time the story reaches it's conclusion. The shoe companies are in the grassroots AAU game hard, all trying to create brand loyalty and hit the jackpot for the next LeBron, Kobe, Jordan, etc...... Those are the kids who typically go one and done, Power 5 programs, etc who gain some exposure but the investment isn't for the college game, it's for the potential to be the next big NBA superstar and 10-15 years of signature shoes.

It sucks that it's a dirty game because all of college basketball gets looked at in a bad light, regardless if the majority of schools play by the rules. There's a lot of factors in recruiting, long before the seedy elements are introduced.

To those who were involved, coaching any level of basketball should be out of their future for life. You put yourself in this spot and it should take the game you say you love away. You can take wins away, put banners into storage, etc but when you take the game away, put a disgraced plague next to the bust of a guy like Pitino in the Hall of Fame, that's the legacy he should ultimately leave the game with.

I would hope there's a lot more innocents than guilty parties out there and for those who were caught up in a dirty program thru no fault of their own, they didn't take, etc it's rough. I hope college basketball emerges out of this stronger than it began this saga.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 am

COUTEAU wrote:First I'd like to say, "hope they all get what they deserve".

Seriously doubt that anyone will ever see jail time. But, could you imagine this kind of fraud and blatant cheating in anything other than "sports" and not spending time in a Federal Penitentiary?

Now my rant.........

I've said since they implemented the rule.....
Biggest mistake The NBA & NCAA, made was not allowing high school kids go straight into, The NBA.
That "one year rule", created this entire mess.
The NBA, didn't want to babysit 18 year old kids.
And, The D League, would have to expand to 50 (or more) teams, to accommodate the flow of high school wanna be NBA players.
The NBA. took the attitude to just let the colleges and universities weed out the potential future draft choices.
That rule created prep school basketball factories, for kids that were unable to keep up academically. But, had a sweet 18 foot jumper and could touch his elbows to the rim, flat footed.
With the, "one year removed from high school rule", The AAU and shoe companies saw the door jarred open and could attach themselves to a few dozen kids, knowing all they needed was no more than a handful, to return their investments in shoes and apparel.
What better way to secure that investment than to sign major universities and (or) big name coaches to more shoe and apparel contracts. Promising them first and perhaps only shot at that 6'5" teenager with a 40 inch vertical.....just take care of his family....."and oh, by the way, we've got three coming up right behind him".....
Those 15 year old kid(s) they latched on to, end up at UK, UNC, Louisville, ect. The program makes a run through the tournament, in his one and only year and he's selected in the first round.
Reload and do it again.

Open up The NBA, to take kids right out of high school again. Increase the number of D League teams.
If a kid wants to go that route, fine....good luck to you.
If he can't make it in the D league, there's always the possibility of playing over sea.
Or, if NIKE, Adidas, Puma, ect.... truly cared about those 15 year olds, they cuddled up to, they could develop a NBA minor league.
Max out scholarships to 15. (An exception would or could ONLY be because of injury)
And, obviously if a student leaves the program and continues his college career. (playing D1, 2, or 3)
If student just drops out of school and doesn't enroll in another institution......That particular scholarship could become valid again after only one year.
If those schools, that have always been able to get those superior athletes, want to take a chance on recruiting a kid that will leave after his Freshman season, fine.....The following three years, that school has only 14 scholarships available.
If three leave, 'cause that program went after those "lottery type pick" student athlete....OK, now they only have 12 available, the next three seasons.
The scholarships would cycle though four years. Same as any regular college experience would be.

Enjoyed what you wrote...but you are definitely going to see some jail time. This is the FBI, not the NCAA. Pardon the pun but these are "slam dunk" violations that are undisputable.

Return to “The Aces”