go aces
:shockue: :razzinsu: :shockue:
PROTECT THE FC

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Postby acecard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:37 am

I said after the Mo. St. game that I would wait to see if the Aces could win on the road, to declare that maybe they weren't a Thursday team. Not going to count the Drake game because it was an aberration, and played under circumstances not likely to happen again. The Aces won't have to get up at 6:00 on Wednesday, drive 4 hours to the St. Louis airport, catch a charter flight to Des Moines, and play a D1 basketball game 2 hours after they get there, so I am going to expect that they will be out to prove that they are a way better team that what they showed at Drake, and they will do so in my opinion. They will still have to prove to me that they can win on the road in the MVC.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

acecard wrote:I said after the Mo. St. game that I would wait to see if the Aces could win on the road, to declare that maybe they weren't a Thursday team. Not going to count the Drake game because it was an aberration, and played under circumstances not likely to happen again. The Aces won't have to get up at 6:00 on Wednesday, drive 4 hours to the St. Louis airport, catch a charter flight to Des Moines, and play a D1 basketball game 2 hours after they get there, so I am going to expect that they will be out to prove that they are a way better team that what they showed at Drake, and they will do so in my opinion. They will still have to prove to me that they can win on the road in the MVC.

Can't argue any of your points. Feel the same.

The games against ISU are always close and exciting. Greg Lansing is a very good coach. Wish I could be there. I will consider it a big plus if the team can rebound right away after a loss.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
acecard wrote:I said after the Mo. St. game that I would wait to see if the Aces could win on the road, to declare that maybe they weren't a Thursday team. Not going to count the Drake game because it was an aberration, and played under circumstances not likely to happen again. The Aces won't have to get up at 6:00 on Wednesday, drive 4 hours to the St. Louis airport, catch a charter flight to Des Moines, and play a D1 basketball game 2 hours after they get there, so I am going to expect that they will be out to prove that they are a way better team that what they showed at Drake, and they will do so in my opinion. They will still have to prove to me that they can win on the road in the MVC.

Can't argue any of your points. Feel the same.

The games against ISU are always close and exciting. Greg Lansing is a very good coach. Wish I could be there. I will consider it a big plus if the team can rebound right away after a loss.

They played pretty darned well the next game after the Duke humiliation even though they lost here against Ill. St.. I expect they will play well against the Trees.

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

I think so too the way they had to travel to Drake was ridiculous Drake’s finally woke them selfs up after what seemed like a decade of subpar basketball our guys will be ready for those Trees and show that we are a better team than what the results showed Saturday go Aces!!

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:12 am

Wednesday will feature two of the longer tenured coaches in MVC play. Let's look at their respective records.

Greg Lansing (8th year)
Overall: 128-118 (.520)
MVC: 68-64 (.515)
MVC Tourney: 8-6

Marty Simmons (11th year)
Overall: 179-167 (.517)
MVC: 77-109 (.414)
MVC Tourney: 5-10

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am

NumbersDontLie wrote:Wednesday will feature two of the longer tenured coaches in MVC play. Let's look at their respective records.

Greg Lansing (8th year)
Overall: 128-118 (.520)
MVC: 68-64 (.515)
MVC Tourney: 8-6

Marty Simmons (11th year)
Overall: 179-167 (.517)
MVC: 77-109 (.414)
MVC Tourney: 5-10

Greg Lansing going into his 8th year has 1 NCAA bid (2nd Round) 2 NIT bids
Marty Simmons going into his 11th year has 0 NCAA bids 0 Nit bids

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:37 am

Head to Head:
Greg Lansing: 12 wins
Marty Simmons: 8 wins

But the Aces have won 5 of the last 7 matchups with the Trees.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 am

Although his overall record and his tournament resume is better, Lansing seems to be on a downward trend. The Aces have put them out of Arch madness the last 2 years and if hedoesn't do anything this year that will be 4 years without any kind of post season play, I do however think this will be a tough game for the Aces

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 am

I don't think it is at all unusual that when a mid-major gets a bid to either NCAA or NIT there will be a decline for awhile. Most fans get that. The program then begins to rebuild and make another push 3 to 4 years later. Marty, now entering his 11th season, has no meaningful post season bids - not one. It's not going to happen this year either. ISU faces many of the same challenges as the Aces but have fared much better under Lansing's leadership.

Return to “The Aces”