Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Postby Aces101 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 am

I thought Rick Byrd and Brad Brownell were the other finalists......both of those guys have had great success

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am

Aces101 wrote:I thought Rick Byrd and Brad Brownell were the other finalists......both of those guys have had great success

Brownell was a year off...Wright State had already hired him and he had coached there while Merfeld was stinking up the place during 06-07.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Brownell
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

PurpleAces
Ford Center Regular

Postby PurpleAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:19 am

I feel like the crowds will return with a new direction. This city wants to see good fun basketball. A couple of years ago we had a sellout game for Wichita State. The crowd was on it's feet when they started to play the song before the players come out. The crowd was pumped. We pissed down our leg instead of taking the perfect oppurtunity. The community has seen that too many times under Marty. We have had big crowds and they will come back but it will be with a different coach. Downtown is on the rebound and in another couple of years will be totaly different. With downtown coming back I can see more fans with a better product on the floor.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 am

Dave Simmons got his team to the NIT.

Don Verlin of University of Idaho had indeed no NCAA or NIT appearances in his 10 years as head coach. This school averaged a robust 1,004 per game last season.

Honestly, do you really want to put the Aces on par with the programs you have mentioned??? How much worse would you (or anyone) want the Aces to sink before a change would be in order??? If I am on the board of directors for a major corporation and I have a CEO who continues to lose money do I hesitate in firing him because the next guy might even lose more money???

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:28 am

AcesChamps6571 wrote:As for the ISU fans, the one commenter that was most annoying was a man who hates Evansville and has for over 50 years, which is his right. But he claims that when he was a freshman in 1962, Buster Briley called a Sycamore a racist name at Roberts Stadium, and the guy punched Briley in the return game in Terre Haute, much to the his ( the fan) delight.
Now that was a few years before my time, and maybe Briley did do that. I didn't know him but do know he is beloved in Aces history.
I just find it difficult to believe for two reasons: I don't believe Arad McCutchan would stand for it if he knew, and Briley helped recruit fellow Madison, IN, native Larry Humes to Evansville.
As for the article, it was well written, and correct in every way.
I too worry about Evansville and the direction of the program.

Yes, the commenter you mention had that one and only post. I was talking about the foul language (including from the moderator) and the derogatory comments about the UE program (appears most of these posts were no longer on the site this morning) and the attacks on Blake. I expect to read negative comments about the play, the refs, the Aces and even the coach. But these were over and above the average MVC game comments.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 am

Does anyone know how much time is left on Marty's contract and what the buyout is?

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 am

Agree Tom,Brad would probably would have been our coach.Marty didn't set the world on fire at SIUE

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am

muni cup14 wrote:Agree Tom,Brad would probably would have been our coach.Marty didn't set the world on fire at SIUE

Marty actually won the GLVC 1 year and got the Cougers to their first ever elite eight appearance.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
Go2aces wrote:I thought Todd Golden's article in the Terre Haute paper regarding the game was interesting. Under sports at tribstar.com . Forgive me if someone has previously mentioned it...I started reading the posts beginning at page 10.

Quote from the article.

"Ford Center has grown to be one of my least favorite venues in the MVC. The building itself is beautiful from the outside, but inside it's just so staid.

Fans are so far off the floor, due to the hockey rink, that it's really difficult to generate any atmosphere at all. Other venues find a way to move seats closer to the action, you barely notice the hockey rink at Carver Arena for example, but not the Ford Center. It's a 15-foot moat between the court and the fans.

Then there's the amount of fans in attendance, which may or may not be related to the atmosphere.

Attendance was announced at 3,601. The upper deck was curtained off and fans were spread out. The game was ugly and it didn't lend itself to a raucous crowd, but let's just say ISU didn't have to worry about the crowd intimidating it into losing the lead, as it was when the Sycamores played at Illinois State on Dec. 31.

I worry about Evansville. Interest seems low and I'm not sure what will bring the fans back apart from some serious sustained winning. It's a small school enrollment-wise and has an aging fan base. I don't get the sense there's much urgency to make a splash there.

What happens when/if Southern Indiana goes Division I as has been rumored? If that happens, I think the Aces might be in serious trouble. USI's enrollment is over 10,000 and they do seem to generate interest in the Evansville area.

Evansville has a new president coming soon and it will be interesting to see what direction the school goes in. I think UE is at a crossroads, and like ISU, needs to figure out what it wants its commitment to be."

The author must have talked to quite a few PAF members. Just a side note. I checked out Sycamore Pride yesterday to see what their fans had to say about the game. Eye opening! Their fan base was Shocker like in their comments about the Aces team and players.

I can't really dispute anything he said...it's pretty accurate, at least from what I am seeing. The only statement I disagree with is USI generating interest in the Evansville area...they don't. They have success every year and still get no one at their games. It's a shame for them as well.

The rest of it though...I think it's the sad truth. Who would have ever dreamed we would be at this point 20 years ago.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

PurpleAces
Ford Center Regular

Postby PurpleAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am

letsgoAces wrote:Does anyone know how much time is left on Marty's contract and what the buyout is?

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sport ... /90854764/

According to this who knows he might have another 3-5 years left.

Return to “The Aces”