Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Discussions of all the Aces sports
NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Postby NumbersDontLie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am

Tom Servo wrote:
I can't really dispute anything he said...it's pretty accurate, at least from what I am seeing. The only statement I disagree with is USI generating interest in the Evansville area...they don't. They have success every year and still get no one at their games. It's a shame for them as well.

The rest of it though...I think it's the sad truth. Who would have ever dreamed we would be at this point 20 years ago.

Don't forget, USI is also searching for a new President currently. It's possible that their hire could envision USI as the next Northern Kentucky in terms of athletics.

2011 - NKU was in the GLVC with attendance figures between 1300 - 2500. They had 4,987 for their game last Thursday night game against Wright St.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am

NumbersDontLie wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:
I can't really dispute anything he said...it's pretty accurate, at least from what I am seeing. The only statement I disagree with is USI generating interest in the Evansville area...they don't. They have success every year and still get no one at their games. It's a shame for them as well.

The rest of it though...I think it's the sad truth. Who would have ever dreamed we would be at this point 20 years ago.

Don't forget, USI is also searching for a new President currently. It's possible that their hire could envision USI as the next Northern Kentucky in terms of athletics.

2011 - NKU was in the GLVC with attendance figures between 1300 - 2500. They had 4,987 for their game last Thursday night game against Wright St.

I agree with this, I was referring to them in D2 not getting any interest.

You're right...if they go D1, it's curtains for UE unless they get their act together.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 am

Tom Servo wrote:
NumbersDontLie wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:

I agree with this, I was referring to them in D2 not getting any interest.

You're right...if they go D1, it's curtains for UE unless they get their act together.

I believe both USI and UE could easily co-exist if the Screaming Eagles make the jump to D-1...I really believe we will see that happen within 5 years. Obviously, the main issue for the Aces basketball program is what type of commitment does the administration want to make? How low with the new UE president and AD allow the basketball program to sink before they see a change is needed? I truly don't think their is a moment to waste. I'm trying to stay optimistic but with each passing day it just gets gloomier.

tomace44
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby tomace44 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:19 am

aah

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Isn't it so indicative of the apathy from UE officials that a reporter writes an article for a Terre Haute newspaper that so accurately describes what is happening to our once-proud basketball program while our university doesn't even appear to acknowledge, or respond with any real plan to rebuild what once was such a great part of Evansville's identity! For the life of me, I cannot understand how a university, always in search of new enrollment, does not recognize how important retaining a strong sports program, especially in basketball where there has been such community support in the past, would be such a draw for student enrollment , alumni support, and community support!

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:11 pm

sect.3purple wrote:Isn't it so indicative of the apathy from UE officials that a reporter writes an article for a Terre Haute newspaper that so accurately describes what is happening to our once-proud basketball program while our university doesn't even appear to acknowledge, or respond with any real plan to rebuild what once was such a great part of Evansville's identity! For the life of me, I cannot understand how a university, always in search of new enrollment, does not recognize how important retaining a strong sports program, especially in basketball where there has been such community support in the past, would be such a draw for student enrollment , alumni support, and community support!

Mind boggling isn't it? Marty is a big part of the problem, but it doesn't begin or end with him.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm

sect.3purple wrote:Isn't it so indicative of the apathy from UE officials that a reporter writes an article for a Terre Haute newspaper that so accurately describes what is happening to our once-proud basketball program while our university doesn't even appear to acknowledge, or respond with any real plan to rebuild what once was such a great part of Evansville's identity! For the life of me, I cannot understand how a university, always in search of new enrollment, does not recognize how important retaining a strong sports program, especially in basketball where there has been such community support in the past, would be such a draw for student enrollment , alumni support, and community support!

Could not have said that any better.

Acesfanlegacy
Ford Center Regular

Postby Acesfanlegacy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Ignoring local alumni, community needs and future students is a problem at UE well beyond the basketball.

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Y'all need to read/reread this article from the C&P from a couple years ago.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2016/11/10/ue-mens-basketball-program-hopes-build-recent-success/93495746/

Seventeen members of the Champions Club made a financial commitment to Aces Basketball thru the 2017-2018 season. That time frame is obviously about to end. This group of contributors is likely VERY influential regarding what will happen to the basketball program moving forward. Other than those mentioned in the article I have no information regarding who those seventeen are. But, I would suggest if you want change or if you want the status quo, it would probably be beneficial to attempt to identify those seventeen and begin some conversation.

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Postby Aceup13 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Acesfanlegacy wrote:Ignoring local alumni, community needs and future students is a problem at UE well beyond the basketball.

As a current student, kids don’t want to come here because it is BORING. No school spirit. There is no football which deters a lot of kids (because you can’t spend all day tailgating and having a good time without it). College is an experience and the nerds at the top here don’t understand that. Yes my God of course school is important but so is making memories, developing lifelong friendships, and growing up. Hard to do that when all there is to do is go to a student music recital.

Return to “The Aces”