Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Discussions of all the Aces sports
letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

acefan wrote:Y'all need to read/reread this article from the C&P from a couple years ago.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2016/11/10/ue-mens-basketball-program-hopes-build-recent-success/93495746/

Seventeen members of the Champions Club made a financial commitment to Aces Basketball thru the 2017-2018 season. That time frame is obviously about to end. This group of contributors is likely VERY influential regarding what will happen to the basketball program moving forward. Other than those mentioned in the article I have no information regarding who those seventeen are. But, I would suggest if you want change or if you want the status quo, it would probably be beneficial to attempt to identify those seventeen and begin some conversation.

Thanks for sharing Acefan. Interesting read. I knew a group came forward a number of years ago and pledged a large financial commitment to the program, and obviously this is them. Wouldn't we all wish we knew what would be going through each of their minds. Their, no doubt, will still be loyalist who will not want to mess with the status quo. But my earnest hope is their will be some "big dogs" in the room who will point out all of what most of us have stated on this forum. Wish their was a way some of us here could speak with them directly in some type of manner.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
acefan wrote:Y'all need to read/reread this article from the C&P from a couple years ago.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2016/11/10/ue-mens-basketball-program-hopes-build-recent-success/93495746/

Seventeen members of the Champions Club made a financial commitment to Aces Basketball thru the 2017-2018 season. That time frame is obviously about to end. This group of contributors is likely VERY influential regarding what will happen to the basketball program moving forward. Other than those mentioned in the article I have no information regarding who those seventeen are. But, I would suggest if you want change or if you want the status quo, it would probably be beneficial to attempt to identify those seventeen and begin some conversation.

Thanks for sharing Acefan. Interesting read. I knew a group came forward a number of years ago and pledged a large financial commitment to the program, and obviously this is them. Wouldn't we all wish we knew what would be going through each of their minds. Their, no doubt, will still be loyalist who will not want to mess with the status quo. But my earnest hope is their will be some "big dogs" in the room who will point out all of what most of us have stated on this forum. Wish their was a way some of us here could speak with them directly in some type of manner.

Money speaks volumes. When they have to start forking more money maybe they will change their mind.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 pm

I agree with you...when it comes down to it, the top donors and Board of Trustees are going to make the call as to what happens with everything. It's beyond Spencer and it's really beyond the President. The President can give feedback and try to influence but if he goes against the BOT (and big donors) he won't be president long.

Based on the comments from Neil Ellerbrook in the article, it doesn't sound like he is going to be one of the people wanting to change the status quo...

"On the contrary, Ellerbrook said the basketball program has “exceeded our expectations” the past two seasons.

“I think that’s where the big payoff will come in terms of applications and donations and alumni interest, but I’m hesitant to say that that is the absolute goal,” he said of the NCAA tournament. “We can have a successful program at (UE) without making the NCAA or for that matter, the NIT.

“As long as we put a competitive team on the floor and as long as we recruit the kind of kids who can be successful students at what is a pretty challenging academic institution and get them through and get them graduated, then I think we’re doing the right things and the donors are going to be pretty happy with what’s going on.”

Ellerbook hesitated. Then he made a concession.

“That’s not to say we wouldn’t celebrate even more if we made either the NCAA or the NIT.”
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Tom Servo wrote:

I agree with you...when it comes down to it, the top donors and Board of Trustees are going to make the call as to what happens with everything. It's beyond Spencer and it's really beyond the President. The President can give feedback and try to influence but if he goes against the BOT (and big donors) he won't be president long.

Based on the comments from Neil Ellerbrook in the article, it doesn't sound like he is going to be one of the people wanting to change the status quo...

"On the contrary, Ellerbrook said the basketball program has “exceeded our expectations” the past two seasons.

“I think that’s where the big payoff will come in terms of applications and donations and alumni interest, but I’m hesitant to say that that is the absolute goal,” he said of the NCAA tournament. “We can have a successful program at (UE) without making the NCAA or for that matter, the NIT.”

If that is the prevailing attitude at UE, then we are in big trouble. All they really seem to be worried about is not being a Thursday team every year.

Ad1770
Road Tripper

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Tom Servo wrote:

“I think that’s where the big payoff will come in terms of applications and donations and alumni interest, but I’m hesitant to say that that is the absolute goal,” he said of the NCAA tournament. “We can have a successful program at (UE) without making the NCAA or for that matter, the NIT.

“As long as we put a competitive team on the floor and as long as we recruit the kind of kids who can be successful students at what is a pretty challenging academic institution and get them through and get them graduated, then I think we’re doing the right things and the donors are going to be pretty happy with what’s going on.”

Ellerbook hesitated. Then he made a concession.

“That’s not to say we wouldn’t celebrate even more if we made either the NCAA or the NIT.”

Just so I am clear here. We have a trustee member that doesn’t live in Evansville and has no ties to the University stating we can “have a successful program without making the tournament” in that article? Maybe he should move on if that is his thought.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:34 pm

acecard wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:

“I think that’s where the big payoff will come in terms of applications and donations and alumni interest, but I’m hesitant to say that that is the absolute goal,” he said of the NCAA tournament. “We can have a successful program at (UE) without making the NCAA or for that matter, the NIT.”

If that is the prevailing attitude at UE, then we are in big trouble. All they really seem to be worried about is not being a Thursday team every year.

No question, the remarks from Ellerbrook are alarming but surely we on this forum (who could not possibly be more loyal and passionate about UE) cannot be too far removed from some of the thinking of the major financial contributors to the Aces program. It's not like Marty was just hired a few years ago. I don't measure success just on wins and loses but at some point their has to be some significant on the court success as well. What more needs to be said in "11 years... no NCAA or NIT bid... and no end of this drought appears to be in sight?" If I was a major contributor no way I would waste my money on a staff that I have already seen their best efforts.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I remembered this, but forgot the details.

For those that aren't aware, Neil Ellerbrook made his fortune, and big donor status by being the CEO of Vectren...his big salaries came on the backs of the community with some of the highest utility rates in the country. I would say self-serving would be an understatement, and clearly not someone who is more concerned about the community at large over what is in it for Neil.

25 years ago, the big donors were small businessmen who made their money taking care of the local community...Risleys, John Cooke, Moutoux Furniture, Davidson-Amos, etc. Now it is by political elitist like Ellerbrook, who have always been insulated from having to answer to their consumer base. John Stanley serving as AD was a perfect example this.

Like I and others are saying, canning Marty does no good unless there is a serious commitment to the basketball program from the university.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Aceup13 wrote:
Acesfanlegacy wrote:Ignoring local alumni, community needs and future students is a problem at UE well beyond the basketball.

As a current student, kids don’t want to come here because it is BORING. No school spirit. There is no football which deters a lot of kids (because you can’t spend all day tailgating and having a good time without it). College is an experience and the nerds at the top here don’t understand that. Yes my God of course school is important but so is making memories, developing lifelong friendships, and growing up. Hard to do that when all there is to do is go to a student music recital.

This should be stamped on a gold plate and put on the desk of the top UE officials and community financial donors who dictate every move toward the university's growth - a university has an identity, and it has to be a broad identity that includes educational quality AND social and real-life experiences. Young people are in search of a wide spectrum of life, not just book study or art and music and not just study abroad...a wise offering from a university that offers exciting sports programs that give a chance to stand up and be a little crazy before you're spit out into the real world can be very appealing to young people. UE should offer quality in ALL areas - and that includes our basketball program (and staying out of a Th night game at St. Louis is not a quality standard)...can you imagine a university offering this "incentive" to possible students: "Come to UE and we will give you a mediocre education. You'll get a so-so job and you might even get a raise or promotion every 10 or 11 years." Absurd! So why do we settle for mediocrity in our basketball program?

" We should be able to "walk and chew gum" at the same time...educate students AND provide an exciting, fun atmosphere in which to do it.....what a novel idea....seems like I recall a local school that did just that!

Ad1770
Road Tripper

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Food for thought here. Don’t forget that St. Joseph (IN) closed at the end of last year due to financial problems, and they actually had more students attending then UE currently does.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

tomace44
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby tomace44 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:06 pm

A. A.H.

Return to “The Aces”