GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: Game Thread---TREES @ ACES---1/17

Postby GoAcesgo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
No no no...I want the Names of the "several" who have coached a D-1 program 10 to 11 years at the same place and have not been to the NCAA or NIT. I have looked and cannot find a one. Please reveal the several name.

Eddie Payne
Tony Shaver
Barclay Radebaugh
Horace Broadnax
Bill Herrion

Here you go, just google thier name and it should pull it up.

Tony Shaver, Barclay Radebaugh, and Hoarce Broadnax have all taken their team to the NIT. Feel free to look it up.
Eddie Payne finally stepped down after ten years with no NCAA or NIT appearances. He is no longer an active coach.
Bill Herrion is the coach at New Hampshire and he has indeed gone 10 years with no NCAA or NIT bids. He and Marty are running neck and neck for that achievement. You may (or may not) be interested in knowing that New Hampshire averaged 440 people per game last season. I certainly hope the Aces do not wait till attendance and futility get as low as that to decide whether or not a change should be made

Dave Simmons
Don verlin

I agree with you he has been given a long leash and ample time, what is wierd he was hired the same time as Greg Marshall, did he make our list of potential coaches?

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:At the end of the day it's still just a game, in life I try to stay positive and keep the proper perspective on things that really don't amount to much and nothing at all eternally.

I have to disagree. A game is what you see at the park in the afternoon. Like it or not, these young men are a part of a multi-million dollar business. They get their education for free for playing a game, but the school profits from it as they charge for tickets, and gets a share of the post season money that the conference gets. And if they make the post season, they would actually get a double share from the conference.

So no. It isn’t just a game.

And it brings a sense of pride to the community....well, it used to. There's both a hard and soft value for the city from that.

Go2aces
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Go2aces » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 pm

I thought Todd Golden's article in the Terre Haute paper regarding the game was interesting. Under sports at tribstar.com . Forgive me if someone has previously mentioned it...I started reading the posts beginning at page 10.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 am

Go2aces wrote:I thought Todd Golden's article in the Terre Haute paper regarding the game was interesting. Under sports at tribstar.com . Forgive me if someone has previously mentioned it...I started reading the posts beginning at page 10.

Quote from the article.

"Ford Center has grown to be one of my least favorite venues in the MVC. The building itself is beautiful from the outside, but inside it's just so staid.

Fans are so far off the floor, due to the hockey rink, that it's really difficult to generate any atmosphere at all. Other venues find a way to move seats closer to the action, you barely notice the hockey rink at Carver Arena for example, but not the Ford Center. It's a 15-foot moat between the court and the fans.

Then there's the amount of fans in attendance, which may or may not be related to the atmosphere.

Attendance was announced at 3,601. The upper deck was curtained off and fans were spread out. The game was ugly and it didn't lend itself to a raucous crowd, but let's just say ISU didn't have to worry about the crowd intimidating it into losing the lead, as it was when the Sycamores played at Illinois State on Dec. 31.

I worry about Evansville. Interest seems low and I'm not sure what will bring the fans back apart from some serious sustained winning. It's a small school enrollment-wise and has an aging fan base. I don't get the sense there's much urgency to make a splash there.

What happens when/if Southern Indiana goes Division I as has been rumored? If that happens, I think the Aces might be in serious trouble. USI's enrollment is over 10,000 and they do seem to generate interest in the Evansville area.

Evansville has a new president coming soon and it will be interesting to see what direction the school goes in. I think UE is at a crossroads, and like ISU, needs to figure out what it wants its commitment to be."

The author must have talked to quite a few PAF members. Just a side note. I checked out Sycamore Pride yesterday to see what their fans had to say about the game. Eye opening! Their fan base was Shocker like in their comments about the Aces team and players.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
Go2aces wrote:I thought Todd Golden's article in the Terre Haute paper regarding the game was interesting. Under sports at tribstar.com . Forgive me if someone has previously mentioned it...I started reading the posts beginning at page 10.

Quote from the article.

"Ford Center has grown to be one of my least favorite venues in the MVC. The building itself is beautiful from the outside, but inside it's just so staid.

Fans are so far off the floor, due to the hockey rink, that it's really difficult to generate any atmosphere at all. Other venues find a way to move seats closer to the action, you barely notice the hockey rink at Carver Arena for example, but not the Ford Center. It's a 15-foot moat between the court and the fans.

Then there's the amount of fans in attendance, which may or may not be related to the atmosphere.

Attendance was announced at 3,601. The upper deck was curtained off and fans were spread out. The game was ugly and it didn't lend itself to a raucous crowd, but let's just say ISU didn't have to worry about the crowd intimidating it into losing the lead, as it was when the Sycamores played at Illinois State on Dec. 31.

I worry about Evansville. Interest seems low and I'm not sure what will bring the fans back apart from some serious sustained winning. It's a small school enrollment-wise and has an aging fan base. I don't get the sense there's much urgency to make a splash there.

What happens when/if Southern Indiana goes Division I as has been rumored? If that happens, I think the Aces might be in serious trouble. USI's enrollment is over 10,000 and they do seem to generate interest in the Evansville area.

Evansville has a new president coming soon and it will be interesting to see what direction the school goes in. I think UE is at a crossroads, and like ISU, needs to figure out what it wants its commitment to be."

The author must have talked to quite a few PAF members. Just a side note. I checked out Sycamore Pride yesterday to see what their fans had to say about the game. Eye opening! Their fan base was Shocker like in their comments about the Aces team and players.

Sadly, this article is spot on in every aspect.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 am

As for the ISU fans, the one commenter that was most annoying was a man who hates Evansville and has for over 50 years, which is his right. But he claims that when he was a freshman in 1962, Buster Briley called a Sycamore a racist name at Roberts Stadium, and the guy punched Briley in the return game in Terre Haute, much to the his ( the fan) delight.
Now that was a few years before my time, and maybe Briley did do that. I didn't know him but do know he is beloved in Aces history.
I just find it difficult to believe for two reasons: I don't believe Arad McCutchan would stand for it if he knew, and Briley helped recruit fellow Madison, IN, native Larry Humes to Evansville.
As for the article, it was well written, and correct in every way.
I too worry about Evansville and the direction of the program.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:57 am

GoAcesgo wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:
Eddie Payne
Tony Shaver
Barclay Radebaugh
Horace Broadnax
Bill Herrion

Here you go, just google thier name and it should pull it up.

Tony Shaver, Barclay Radebaugh, and Hoarce Broadnax have all taken their team to the NIT. Feel free to look it up.
Eddie Payne finally stepped down after ten years with no NCAA or NIT appearances. He is no longer an active coach.
Bill Herrion is the coach at New Hampshire and he has indeed gone 10 years with no NCAA or NIT bids. He and Marty are running neck and neck for that achievement. You may (or may not) be interested in knowing that New Hampshire averaged 440 people per game last season. I certainly hope the Aces do not wait till attendance and futility get as low as that to decide whether or not a change should be made

Dave Simmons
Don verlin

I agree with you he has been given a long leash and ample time, what is wierd he was hired the same time as Greg Marshall, did he make our list of potential coaches?

When Mark Turgeon left Wichita State for Texas A&M Greg Marshal was a hot commodity at Winthrop. Turgeon made WSU relevant again so the Shockers were anxious to make a big hire and they were able to get Marshall. Aces would have never been to afford him.

As I recall the three finalist for the Aces position was Rick Byrd from Belmont, and Jeff Brownlee (who I was pulling for) and of course Marty. I was okay with the hire at the time..I think the administration wanted Marty from the beginning and he got a glowing endorsement from Jim Crews. Hindsight is 20 20 as they say...would now would have loved to have had either Brownlee or Byrd.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 am

Aces & Eights wrote:

Quote from the article.

For the most part, he is correct. As far as the atmosphere and the Ford Center, that is a direct product of what is going on with the program...nothing more. For me, it'a a glass half empty or full. Considering it was a bitter cold Wednesday night, we were playing a crappy team, the current state of the program, and zero effort put forth by the University, the fact that we still got 3700 people to show up gives me hope.

I have visited their board. It's full of homers like all of the others, no issue with that. It's more like a clique because there isn't a lot of members. True, there is not a lot of respect for our program, and likewise, I don't think you find too much respect here for Indiana State. Basically, we have both been stale for so long we are desperate to find something positive..hey, we are not as bad as they are seems to be the mantra at both places right now.

My question is why are they wrong? What makes them a bunch of mindless trolls instead of knowledgeable fans of their program, and the teams within the conference? What have we done in the last decade to make them respect us, or be in awe of us? I'm not picking a fight, I am sincerely asking. Yes, it pisses me off to see these types of comments from freaking Indiana State, or anyone else, but I am afraid the perception is reality. They see what many of us see, a once proud program turning in one mediocre season after the next, with no public effort by anyone to change a thing.

Acesfanlegacy
Ford Center Regular

Postby Acesfanlegacy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:09 am

Who is Jeff Brownlee? Where is he at?

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 am

What's unfortunate is that they didn't fire Merfeld the year before they did...if they had, I think they would have had a chance at Brad Brownell who ended up at Wright State.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Return to “The Aces”