Aces @ the Braves

Discussions of all the Aces sports
sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:23 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby sect.3purple » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:19 pm

The team we saw tonight has all the characteristics of a team with a loser's mentality....and by loser I mean a team that does not believe in its own abilities/skills or in that of its leader (coach). When we start out so slowly (as we usually do) that feeling is further cemented into our brains. We play with little focus and little fight. Some players fight too recklessly and foul too often and have to ride the bench for long periods of time (Dru, whom I love as such a warrior), is an example). Others seem non-focused (Taylor has done this for the last couple of games). We don't even do the basics well (like inbounding the ball). We can't muster energy to move toward a rebound. We have NO flow to our game and every move toward the basket to score is a one-on-one stiff, heavily defended one that often results in a turnover with no points scored. A third of our shots are panic shots because the shot clock is running down. We don't defend the 3 and watch while our opponent buries us with 3-point baskets that keep us always falling further behind. And we are getting worse, game by game!

Now, if that wouldn't make you spout a few obscenities, I don't know what would, but I am a lady so I will just shout at my t.v. and post my absolute disgust and anger at what I see happening to the basketball program I have loved and supported for ages.

The university OWES the fans and the community so much more than what they are delivering....actually it is not just that, is we are being robbed of something that has been a part of our community and our lives for decades.....it is time to make changes before there is nothing that matters any more!

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:32 am
Fan Since: 1998

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby Aceup13 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:14 am

I like the vulgarity I think it shows passion. Of course I don’t want it directed at anyone but using it as an adjective shows you care enough to speak up and that you are mad enough to use words like that. We need that fire because we as a fan base are one of the most boring.

No school spirit from students (most likely because we are good).
Crowd gets mad when we play music too loud or too new.

I am a current student and have attended most home games every year since 2000 and it is amazing the decline in attendance and spirit. All starts with the record.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:48 pm
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby Aces44 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 am

It is absolute INSANITY that Dru Smith had 25 min and Blake had 39. If you want to wonder how quickly our fortunes could change, just think about that for a moment.
And don’t give me the “foul trouble” argument. He finished with 3 fouls.
On what planet does Blake earn more minutes than Dru?

User avatar
Atlanta Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:35 am
Fan Since: 1971
Location: Atlanta, GA.

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby Atlanta Ace » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:18 am

Aceup13 wrote:I like the vulgarity I think it shows passion. Of course I don’t want it directed at anyone but using it as an adjective shows you care enough to speak up and that you are mad enough to use words like that. We need that fire because we as a fan base are one of the most boring.

No school spirit from students (most likely because we are good).
Crowd gets mad when we play music too loud or too new.

I am a current student and have attended most home games every year since 2000 and it is amazing the decline in attendance and spirit. All starts with the record.


I respect your opinion Acesup13. I'm old school. While I may cuss like a sailor while watching an Aces game in private, I think you can prove your point without spouting them out in a public forum. Cursing and equating that with passion is starting to get old.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:32 am
Fan Since: 1998

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby Aceup13 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am

Atlanta Ace wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:I like the vulgarity I think it shows passion. Of course I don’t want it directed at anyone but using it as an adjective shows you care enough to speak up and that you are mad enough to use words like that. We need that fire because we as a fan base are one of the most boring.

No school spirit from students (most likely because we are good).
Crowd gets mad when we play music too loud or too new.

I am a current student and have attended most home games every year since 2000 and it is amazing the decline in attendance and spirit. All starts with the record.


I respect your opinion Acesup13. I'm old school. While I may cuss like a sailor while watching an Aces game in private, I think you can prove your point without spouting them out in a public forum. Cursing and equating that with passion is starting to get old.


You are not wrong! I am just saying it gets easy to let those words out when we are mad and frustrated with these Aces that we all care so much about!

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:35 pm
Fan Since: 1967

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby SI_Acesfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am

OK, "Champions" Club. It's time to be true to what you call yourself.

Hopefully, you have finally woken up to the fact that no matter what you throw at Marty Simmons financially, it will never magically transform him into a good decision-maker.

It's past time for some of you in your club to break-off your bromance with him, stand-up, sit him down, and do the "resign for the good of the program" intervention.

We have been frequently told over the years that he "loves Aces basketball passionately". So what? So do many, many, other people. So do I. Quite frankly, many of us have been quietly sick and tired of hearing that lame defense for a long time. Let me be even more blunt. As far as I am concerned, if he doesnt voluntarily step down and save the program those needed buyout $$'s, then that "love" is pretty superficial.

User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby E-Villan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 am

Aceup13 wrote:
Atlanta Ace wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:I like the vulgarity I think it shows passion. Of course I don’t want it directed at anyone but using it as an adjective shows you care enough to speak up and that you are mad enough to use words like that. We need that fire because we as a fan base are one of the most boring.

No school spirit from students (most likely because we are good).
Crowd gets mad when we play music too loud or too new.

I am a current student and have attended most home games every year since 2000 and it is amazing the decline in attendance and spirit. All starts with the record.


I respect your opinion Acesup13. I'm old school. While I may cuss like a sailor while watching an Aces game in private, I think you can prove your point without spouting them out in a public forum. Cursing and equating that with passion is starting to get old.


You are not wrong! I am just saying it gets easy to let those words out when we are mad and frustrated with these Aces that we all care so much about!


I too am old school, and try to limit my cussing to the appropriate spot. Decorum is sadly slipping away in society. With that said, I really don't have a problem with the post, and agree with Acesup about it showing passion. PAFan quickly jumped on it, and moderated it while still leaving the message, which I applaud.

Sadly, I am more offended at this point by the people who say "we can't fire Marty because we won't get anyone better", or "Marty does things the right way, so we should be thankful"..than someone whose frustrations at this sick edition of Groundhog Day we keep witnessing, gets the best of them. I so identify with that, and we all should be that pi*&@, well, ticked off.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 pm
Fan Since: 1965
Location: Evansville

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

I agree 100 % with SI_Acesfan and E-Villan. You both have perfectly summed up the feelings of the overwhelming majority of our fan base, or what's left of it.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:34 am
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby svmar10 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am

In the last 2 games RT is 7-33 and Dru is 10-18. Dru spent 28 minutes on the bench. But Marty got Blake his 1000PT milestone. We got that going for us!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Aces @ the Braves

Postby acecard » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am

I certainly enjoy this forum, and would be very lost without it. Certainly we are all Aces fans, and want to see them flourish in D1, even though we all have different ways to express that desire. I again want to thank PAfan for the opportunity to express our thoughts. I feel though that there is just so many times we can say the same thing. We know that after 11 years of mediocrity, and on occasion embarrassing play, that things are not going to change, and I fear that if their are no changes in the basketball program it will sink to the level of non relevance. I hope that there is still enough interest in the program that we can discuss it on this forum in the following weeks, but haven't we beaten it to death, and how many times can we continue to say the same things. It would be great if I thought Marty, Spencer, and Kazee read our thoughts, and took them to heart, but I doubt it. If that's the case, aren't we all just pizzing against the wind?


Return to “The Aces”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yandex [Bot] and 8 guests