Ramblings on a Sunday

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: Ramblings on a Sunday

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 pm

I was among those who would have loved to see this come to fruition. The stadium downtown would have been great, but to have class ball again, especially with Mattingly and Ripken involved would have been even better.

I am not convinced a Class A team couldn't play at Bosse. Sure it would take some work, but if the majors can continue to play in Wrigley and Fenway, surely Bosse can be improved enough to host a Midwest League team.

The EVSC is having some financial issues, and apparently looking to do something with Bosse. With the tax the city got pushed through, there should be accountability to what is played in there. If nothing else, put out bid proposals from interested affiliated teams that would be interested in relocating here. Let them tell us what would be needed to Bosse. The only person I see saying Bosse isn't sufficient is Bill Bussing. Of course he would say that.

I am a huge baseball fan, but can't bring myself to go to more than one or two Otters games a year. I love the old ballpark, but detest how the Frontier League is about anything besides the actual game. Bussing is running a 3 hour beerstube out there.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am

PurpleRain wrote:Long time lurker/eavesdropper here, first time poster. Hope no one minds if I add my 2 cents worth of rambles.

I’d fully support a coaching change for many of the reasons and more that others have already stated so won’t bore anyone w/that. I believe it’s the big dog donors who have the most power. I really don’t believe the AD has a lot of say so on it. I do however believe the AD reads this board. Regardless, I’d like to see a new coach who’s a bit “coachable” himself, willing to accept advice and implement the ideas his AD and others suggest. At this point I’d even take a young, unproven guy who shows leadership qualities. An Adam Wing kinda guy although I don’t think even he’d be interested as a newlywed with a baby on the way.

A team who can schedule and maybe even compete w/decent competition and win some Valley games will bring in more fans. Don’t know any other semi-foolproof plan.

UE Students at the games - I love E-Villan’s number 2 idea. They’ve tried to bribe them in the past w/t-shirts, Turoni’s Bucks, and other goodies. We can’t do free food at the games due to Ford Center restrictions. They are planning bus transportation for the next game but that’s been iffy in the past. Lack of communication and wonky pickup times seem to be to blame. Then UE complains that not enough students use the service. Things students have said to me, band members included - we have to pay to park, it’s boring to watch, Marty and Blake suck, I have to study, I hate how the student section is set up, I just sit w/my parents.

Some ideas are nixed by Compliance rules. One example is we can’t just give free tix to students who are potential recruits for any sport. I think it’s like 6th grade and up is prohibited but could be off a bit. I know we once had a hs band from Henderson KY so must be ok if they and their families are invited for a valid “reason”, not just “free tix”.

It’s my understanding that UE must pay the Ford Center for each ticket sold or given away. Not sure of the $ amount but say we give away 500 upper bowl tix - we may owe the venue $1000 regardless of whether the tix get used. (Just guessing $2 per tic, could be much higher?). The Ford Center will not want the extra work of preparing/cleaning the upper deck. I’d bet most of those people will find an empty lower bowl seat to use anyway. Some people will come when it’s free but wouldn’t consider buying a full price tix. And even if it’s free, they won’t return if they think it’s no fun.

If you can’t force UE musicians to show up - invite other groups, ask Adam Wing’s dad to come w/his his trumpet, at the very least pipe in canned music in the lobby before the game.

I’ve been to MVC away games, never to Creighton when they were in tho, and have seen lots of “fun” stuff. Sometimes it seems UE wants to be boring or maybe just lazy. Kinda like “what if we get a new coach who’s worse?”. We’ll never know what works and what doesn’t if we don’t at least give it a try.

Hey PurpleRain welcome to posting here. I agree with a lot of what you have said here. Very good 1st post. I'm going to have to disagree with one of your points. In choosing a new coach the only folks I want him to be "coachable" with are guys we has coached and played under. There is not a coach worth a darn anywhere that is taking advice from his AD, boosters, etc. Especially considering our AD doesn't have a bball background (to my knowledge). I understand that Marty is stubborn as hell so we want to see someone flexible be the next coach. I don't disagree with that but when we start talking about taking coaching from the AD etc.... I don't want that person coaching my team. These coaches spend countless hours studying the game and their opponents. It's my right as a fan to complain, but good god I hope no coach ever listens to me about our pick and roll coverage.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader

Postby evilleman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 am

I know there is a lot of complaining about the FC. I don't mind it at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... did we use to play a lot more Saturday night games? My wife and I were talking about that on Saturday as we scrambled to get to the Ford Center for the game on Saturday. I swear there used to be a lot more Sat night games. You could make a night of it. We'd go to Kiplee's and have some pizza and drinks before going over to the game. We don't play Sat night games anymore. Why?

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

evilleman wrote:I know there is a lot of complaining about the FC. I don't mind it at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... did we use to play a lot more Saturday night games? My wife and I were talking about that on Saturday as we scrambled to get to the Ford Center for the game on Saturday. I swear there used to be a lot more Sat night games. You could make a night of it. We'd go to Kiplee's and have some pizza and drinks before going over to the game. We don't play Sat night games anymore. Why?

We have always had a lot of Saturday afternoon games. I remember big games against Xavier, Butler, etc seemed to always be in the afternoon. The final game at Roberts was a Saturday afternoon game. Some people will blame the hockey team, but they play half their games on the road as well, and there are plenty of Saturday nights they are not in town. I would like to see more, but I am afraid UE may be choosing the earlier times to accommodate the older fan base.

For those bashing the Ford Center, here is what a Drake fan had to say about it after Saturday's game:

musiccitybulldog » January 27th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Exciting game at Evansville. I always like attending games at the Ford Center. Great seats, leg room, really clean rest rooms, food nearby. I see they are hosting the OVC tournament. When I saw the ad for the OVC I was thinking I wish the MVC was there. Nice Place.

If the Bulldogs had pressed a few minutes earlier possibly different outcome. Good game all the same.

They were blowing the whistles a bunch today, almost seemed at times they couldn't decide on a reason.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 am

evilleman wrote:I know there is a lot of complaining about the FC. I don't mind it at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... did we use to play a lot more Saturday night games?

Yes. The Aces haven't played a Saturday night home game in 2 seasons now.

My wife and I were talking about that on Saturday as we scrambled to get to the Ford Center for the game on Saturday. I swear there used to be a lot more Sat night games. You could make a night of it. We'd go to Kiplee's and have some pizza and drinks before going over to the game. We don't play Sat night games anymore. Why?

Nobody knows. Some speculate it is because of the hockey team. There are five dates this year where the TBolts play after the Aces on a Saturday, more than in years past. Usually with Geary's IceMen it would only be 2 or 3 doubleheaders in a season. But still that is only five dates, the Aces had several other home dates where the TBolts were either not playing or on the road, and the Aces still scheduled a matinee.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

evilleman
Head Cheerleader

Postby evilleman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:10 am

E-Villan wrote:
evilleman wrote:I know there is a lot of complaining about the FC. I don't mind it at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... did we use to play a lot more Saturday night games? My wife and I were talking about that on Saturday as we scrambled to get to the Ford Center for the game on Saturday. I swear there used to be a lot more Sat night games. You could make a night of it. We'd go to Kiplee's and have some pizza and drinks before going over to the game. We don't play Sat night games anymore. Why?

We have always had a lot of Saturday afternoon games. I remember big games against Xavier, Butler, etc seemed to always be in the afternoon. The final game at Roberts was a Saturday afternoon game. Some people will blame the hockey team, but they play half their games on the road as well, and there are plenty of Saturday nights they are not in town. I would like to see more, but I am afraid UE may be choosing the earlier times to accommodate the older fan base.

For those bashing the Ford Center, here is what a Drake fan had to say about it after Saturday's game:

Exciting game at Evansville. I always like attending games at the Ford Center. Great seats, leg room, really clean rest rooms, food nearby. I see they are hosting the OVC tournament. When I saw the ad for the OVC I was thinking I wish the MVC was there. Nice Place.

If the Bulldogs had pressed a few minutes earlier possibly different outcome. Good game all the same.

They were blowing the whistles a bunch today, almost seemed at times they couldn't decide on a reason.

Thanks for the post. Yes I remember going to Roberts for afternoon tilts too. Just seemed like there were more Sat night games. I understand the older crowd thought process. But, we've missed a lot of games because of elementary basketball tournaments etc are going on during the day and not at night. Folks are more likely to go out to an event at night. Hence why it is cheaper to go to an afternoon movie than at night. Oh well.... I'm not one to typically complain. Just some food for thought.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 am

I actually prefer Saturday afternoon games - just being honest. Yeah, their can be scheduling conflicts, but some of those can be at night as well. Frees me up to do other things the same day. As a passionate fan I would attend the Evansville game no matter the time, but I know for some that is not possible.
Nice post by Drake fan...nice to see a civil post. Most Drake fans I have met have been good folks.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 am

evilleman wrote:
E-Villan wrote:

Thanks for the post. Yes I remember going to Roberts for afternoon tilts too. Just seemed like there were more Sat night games. I understand the older crowd thought process. But, we've missed a lot of games because of elementary basketball tournaments etc are going on during the day and not at night. Folks are more likely to go out to an event at night. Hence why it is cheaper to go to an afternoon movie than at night. Oh well.... I'm not one to typically complain. Just some food for thought.

'
You're both right.

evilleman, luckily I've been able to make all the games but I've tried multiple times in the last few years to give away tickets to these afternoon games and have had the same problem. Anyone with kids over the age of 8 or so can't go because of other sports and activities that all happen in the afternoon. There are a lot of people who follow the Aces where I work. I say follow because they never go the games but know generally what is going on. They all say the same thing, they can't go to games because there are no weekend games at night. I've tried giving tickets to people at our church who like the Aces and they can never go for the same reason. I could go on and on, but I think everyone gets the idea.

I think there needs to be a mix. Some night, some afternoon. That way everyone can get one that fits their schedule and that's how it used to be at the stadium. I've brought this up with UE before and was brushed off. I'm going to write them again about it after the season is over and this time I'm going to get compile a list of everyone I've talked to about this. It's something I'm going to continue to fight until it's fixed.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 am

Even the Aces C&P beat writer has problems with Venue Works.

https://twitter.com/patmhickey/status/9 ... 3523837955

AcesChamps6571
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 am

Did there used to be Saturday night home games?
That would be a resounding"Yes!!"
That's all the Aces played for decades. In the 60s, 70s and 80s, an Aces home game on Saturday night was the biggest thing going on.
I went to my first Aces games as a 4th grader in the undefeated season. I never missed a home game the rest of the 60s, and all through the 70s. Because of family and work obligations, the perfect attendance ended, but we still went enough when we could that my adult sons reminisce about going to certain games when they were younger. And while we went on school nights, their memories are more of going on Saturday nights.
Anyway, the first afternoon game the Aces played in the Roberts Stadium era was against Butler in 1987.
Through the next decade and a half, there would be maybe a handful of afternoon games, usually more on a Sunday than a Saturday.
The last game in the Stadium, as Evillan pointed out, was an afternoon game, which disappointed me. I wanted that to be a night game for old times sake.
For whatever the reason(s), the Aces have not had a Saturday night home game since the season opener in November of 2014. They went the rest of that season after that game, including the MVC season, and now three full seasons without one.
Since we were celebrating a family birthday that Nov., 2014 game, the last Saturday night home game I was able to attend was Senior Night, with no senior players, and the same night Scott Haffner had his jersey retired, against SIU in 2014. I never would have imagined, that that could be the last Saturday night Aces home game I would attend. The end of an era in Evansville.

Return to “The Aces”