Ramblings on a Sunday

Discussions of all the Aces sports
NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Ramblings on a Sunday

Postby NumbersDontLie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Some interesting advanced stats metrics.

Per 40 minutes of playing time:
Blake Simmons (2013-14) - 11.5 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 2.7 Assists, 1.9 Turnovers
Noah Frederking (2017-18) - 11.1 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 2.3 Assists, 2.0 Turnovers

We play at a slightly slower pace this year as opposed to 2013. The offensive efficiency with Noah on the floor is 105.6, while freshman Blake's was 102.8 in 2013.

Very similar games and stats.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Loyola to build 18.5 million dollar practice facility for basketball and volleyball. no doubt that will be a great recruiting tool.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:27 am

NumbersDontLie wrote:Some interesting advanced stats metrics.

Per 40 minutes of playing time:
Blake Simmons (2013-14) - 11.5 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 2.7 Assists, 1.9 Turnovers
Noah Frederking (2017-18) - 11.1 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 2.3 Assists, 2.0 Turnovers

We play at a slightly slower pace this year as opposed to 2013. The offensive efficiency with Noah on the floor is 105.6, while freshman Blake's was 102.8 in 2013.

Very similar games and stats.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing it. I do believe Noah has more potential. He has more range and he is a very hard nosed player not afraid to hit and get hit. Blake has elevated his physical game in the second half of this season and it shows in his rebounds and increased fouls of late. He is finally getting close enough to his man to foul him occasionally. What I have seen from him for 3 1/2 years is matador defense and his fouls per 40 minutes of playing time has been the lowest or second lowest of any Ace during his 4 years. Some may say that a lack of fouls proves that he plays smart. True to a point. But I believe the main reason is that he would rather let a man score than commit a foul and exit the game. It is not possible to lead the MVC in minutes played by playing tenacious defense. Granted, Marty may be ordering him to play soft believing that he is too valuable on the floor to risk foul trouble. Marty and I don't think alike. Enough said.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner

Postby Aces44 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:04 am

It was my Econ professor at UE that told me there are three kinds of lies:
White Lies
Damn Lies
And
Statistics...

I expect really good things from Noah.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm

I think once Noah gets in D1 game shape, has a year under his belt will deliver three years worth of good basketball, just as Dru has done in his second season. We just need more guys like this. Having 2 or 3 on a team just makes us average, we need a six pack :) of guys like this so we have five threats to score on the floor at one time. We simply have not had this for years, there has always been one or two guys the defense can slack off of in Valley play. Up to the coaching staff to get a few more solid players.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper

Postby NumbersDontLie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 am

Aces44 wrote:It was my Econ professor at UE that told me there are three kinds of lies:
White Lies
Damn Lies
And
Statistics...

I expect really good things from Noah.

So do I. And I probably had that same professor back in the day.

Since figures lie and liars figure.. I just have one more observation. Noah and Freshman Blake are very similar statistically. Yet one comes off the bench and averages 20 minutes a game, while the other started every game and played 33+ minutes a night.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 am

The other night during the I'll. State game the announcers noted UE's dominance of having the leading scorer in the MVC, Besides Colt, DJ, and now Ryan, I think they said we've had a top 3 MVC scorer for the last 10 years. Yet we tend the hover at the bottom and can't make post season. What's the message? There is a serious flaw in our system. Example, Jaylon Brown came in as Fishers leading scorer, I believe he averaged 33. He had to wait 3 years before he was allowed to look at the basket. We are a "one trick pony".

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:19 am

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I think once Noah gets in D1 game shape, has a year under his belt will deliver three years worth of good basketball, just as Dru has done in his second season. We just need more guys like this. Having 2 or 3 on a team just makes us average, we need a six pack :) of guys like this so we have five threats to score on the floor at one time. We simply have not had this for years, there has always been one or two guys the defense can slack off of in Valley play. Up to the coaching staff to get a few more solid players.

Exactly! A team full of players like Noah's, Dru's, Blake's, etc would be pretty good and we could play at a much quicker offensive pace. That would in turn give us more margin for error. I can't emphasize this enough, we have to stop recruiting players who cannot shoot the ball and who will never be threats on the offensive end. In today's game, it doesn't work.

And yes, the one trick pony thing is a problem, has been for a while. Basically it puts a ceiling on how good the team can be. If you had 4 or 5 guys on the floor the other team was concerned about stopping, it's going to make the offense much more difficult to deal with and it will make guys like Taylor that much more deadly. He'll have to force less shots if there are other threats the other team is worried about.

I'd much rather be finishing in the top three in the conference than having the leading scorer every year.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acepurple71 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am

Tom Servo wrote:
IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I think once Noah gets in D1 game shape, has a year under his belt will deliver three years worth of good basketball, just as Dru has done in his second season. We just need more guys like this. Having 2 or 3 on a team just makes us average, we need a six pack :) of guys like this so we have five threats to score on the floor at one time. We simply have not had this for years, there has always been one or two guys the defense can slack off of in Valley play. Up to the coaching staff to get a few more solid players.

Exactly! A team full of players like Noah's, Dru's, Blake's, etc would be pretty good and we could play at a much quicker offensive pace. That would in turn give us more margin for error. I can't emphasize this enough, we have to stop recruiting players who cannot shoot the ball and who will never be threats on the offensive end. In today's game, it doesn't work.

And yes, the one trick pony thing is a problem, has been for a while. Basically it puts a ceiling on how good the team can be. If you had 4 or 5 guys on the floor the other team was concerned about stopping, it's going to make the offense much more difficult to deal with and it will make guys like Taylor that much more deadly. He'll have to force less shots if there are other threats the other team is worried about.

I'd much rather be finishing in the top three in the conference than having the leading scorer every year.

Want I want is 4 or 5 good 3 point shooters. Get the game exciting again. If they start scoring a bunch of point game after game they will put more fans in the stands.

Ad1770
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:32 am

svmar10 wrote:The other night during the I'll. State game the announcers noted UE's dominance of having the leading scorer in the MVC, Besides Colt, DJ, and now Ryan, I think they said we've had a top 3 MVC scorer for the last 10 years. Yet we tend the hover at the bottom and can't make post season. What's the message? There is a serious flaw in our system. Example, Jaylon Brown came in as Fishers leading scorer, I believe he averaged 33. He had to wait 3 years before he was allowed to look at the basket. We are a "one trick pony".

First time in 11 years I have heard another fan admit that Martyball is a one trick pony. Good for you. And yes, they are correct.

Year 1, Merfeld’s team- no real scorers for Marty to want to use.
Year 2, start of the Colt 4
Year 6, start of the DJ 4
Year 10, JB lone year
Year 11, RT

(Year one has an asterisk. Team was not designed to play Martyball.)

Every year since year 2, Marty has keyholed the offense through one guy. Others may not have seen it, but I had, when he was at SIUE. The difference between then and now is that he was in a league with schools such as USI, KWC, NKU, and Drury that averaged 85-100 PPG, where his team averaged 60. His one leading scorer didn’t show up in the league leaders every year like now that he is in a league averaging closer to what his team averages.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Return to “The Aces”