Game Thread: Aces @ Valpo 1/24 @ 7 pm

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Thread: Aces @ Valpo 1/24 @ 7 pm

Postby acecard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 am

sect.3purple wrote:
Dru is a warrior! Wouldn't it be great to have an entire team playing like he does!!!

Wouldn't that be a great thing. If it were true, this forum would have an entirely different mindset.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Just think if we had his running partner from Reitz, Jalen Sanford

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:31 pm

No doubt we are a different team when Dru is on the floor because he makes a difference on not just the offensive end like many players we have had and have now, but on BOTH ends. I bet if someone looked up the + and - for when he is vs is not on the floor like noted above for the Valpo game it would really show what a difference maker he is. The Valley losses since he came back from injury are the games I know we really suffered when he had to go to the bench with 2 fouls in the first half.

If Dru can stay healthy and keep improving he can be all MVC for the next two years if not this year. He is playing like it this year of late.
He just needs more help, he can't do it all.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am

Winning is great but before we extend Marty's contract over it, I'll weigh in. If the goal is to create a buzz and get fans back in the seats, inside the numbers, the Valpo game was a step backward. It was Martyball done right but it was still Martyball. Very few 3s (5) and a ton of free throws (31). Not many go to a game after shelling out big money hoping to see numerous game stoppages, a free throw game and the fewest 3s attempted (340th of 351 teams nationwide). Granted, UE is 9th in the nation in free throw percentage and getting to the line takes full advantage of that but does it sell tickets? I don't think so and the declining attendance under Marty proves it. His goal is to make more free throws than the other team attempts. My goal is to be entertained and burning the shot clock to make free throws doesn't cut it for me. So with the Valpo win, I can picture Marty telling the team "see, if you pass up 3s and get to the line, you will be successful." I predict you will be seeing even more Martyball in the remaining games than we've seen so far this year. Goodbye, ticket sales.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:Winning is great but before we extend Marty's contract over it, I'll weigh in. If the goal is to create a buzz and get fans back in the seats, inside the numbers, the Valpo game was a step backward. It was Martyball done right but it was still Martyball. Very few 3s (5) and a ton of free throws (31). Not many go to a game after shelling out big money hoping to see numerous game stoppages, a free throw game and the fewest 3s attempted (340th of 351 teams nationwide). Granted, UE is 9th in the nation in free throw percentage and getting to the line takes full advantage of that but does it sell tickets? I don't think so and the declining attendance under Marty proves it. His goal is to make more free throws than the other team attempts. My goal is to be entertained and burning the shot clock to make free throws doesn't cut it for me. So with the Valpo win, I can picture Marty telling the team "see, if you pass up 3s and get to the line, you will be successful." I predict you will be seeing even more Martyball in the remaining games than we've seen so far this year. Goodbye, ticket sales.

Whiskers, I will agree, and disagree. You are certainly correct when you say nobody wants to see a game with 5 three's, and 31 free throws, but I'll take it if it leads to a WIN. If the the Aces win the rest of their games this year using Marty ball, I don't think there will be that much conversation about it. Now, whether that would increase ticket sales is another question. The Aces have lost so many fans over the years that I don't know if anything they do will increase attendance. In short, I can watch 31 free throws, if they WIN the game, but if they LOSE, not so much. I keep going back to the Bowling Green game. If the Aces could play every game like they did that one, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I certainly do agree with you when you say it would be a whole lot better if the Aces played a more exciting brand of basketball. I guess if they did, the losses would be easier to take, and you would feel like you got your monies worth.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm

acecard wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:Winning is great but before we extend Marty's contract over it, I'll weigh in. If the goal is to create a buzz and get fans back in the seats, inside the numbers, the Valpo game was a step backward. It was Martyball done right but it was still Martyball. Very few 3s (5) and a ton of free throws (31). Not many go to a game after shelling out big money hoping to see numerous game stoppages, a free throw game and the fewest 3s attempted (340th of 351 teams nationwide). Granted, UE is 9th in the nation in free throw percentage and getting to the line takes full advantage of that but does it sell tickets? I don't think so and the declining attendance under Marty proves it. His goal is to make more free throws than the other team attempts. My goal is to be entertained and burning the shot clock to make free throws doesn't cut it for me. So with the Valpo win, I can picture Marty telling the team "see, if you pass up 3s and get to the line, you will be successful." I predict you will be seeing even more Martyball in the remaining games than we've seen so far this year. Goodbye, ticket sales.

Whiskers, I will agree, and disagree. You are certainly correct when you say nobody wants to see a game with 5 three's, and 31 free throws, but I'll take it if it leads to a WIN. If the the Aces win the rest of their games this year using Marty ball, I don't think there will be that much conversation about it. Now, whether that would increase ticket sales is another question. The Aces have lost so many fans over the years that I don't know if anything they do will increase attendance. In short, I can watch 31 free throws, if they WIN the game, but if they LOSE, not so much. I keep going back to the Bowling Green game. If the Aces could play every game like they did that one, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I certainly do agree with you when you say it would be a whole lot better if the Aces played a more exciting brand of basketball. I guess if they did, the losses would be easier to take, and you would feel like you got your monies worth.

I agree with both of you - if that is possible??

I think the Aces play an absolutely boring brand of basketball. That in and of itself is not a killer. The slowest team in Division 1 - ranked 351st out of 351 is Virginia. The difference is that they are 19-1 and play in a great conference.The same can be said of Wisconsin, Syracuse, Princeton, and Notre Dame. They are consistently some of the slowest teams out there. But they win. And by win, I mean better than .500 in their conference - something that has only happened TWICE in 11 years.

While Virginia is slow - they are extremely efficient (Rating 113.5) - 42nd overall. Only 3 games (Oakland City, Bowling Green, Midway) has UE's offense been better than their AVERAGE.

Notre Dame (113.6) slightly better than Virginia offensively and St. Mary's is at 122.7 (4th overall) while playing slower than Evansville as well. The Aces have the 235th ranked offense according to Kenpom.

Bottom line - it's not just that UE plays slow, it's that they play inefficiently on offense. Those two combined are crowd-killers. Winning still trumps all though. Throw out a record like Virginia (19-1) or St. Mary's (20-2) and the crowds will be there.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm

The MVC as a whole plays slow. Especially UE, UNI, and Drake under Ray Giacolleti. There was a season maybe 3 or 4 years back when the MVC set a new NCAA record for fewest possessions per game for a conference.

That doesn't help Aces games look exciting.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:04 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:
IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:Any road win in the Valley is a good one even if it is against a rookie team from the Horizon League. Valpo is not yet used to MVC play and they should be the team that finishes last this year. It is not going to be Drake, the surprise of the season so far.

We need to hold serve at home the rest of the season and find a way to finish 6th and stay out of the Thursday game, this has to be the goal the rest of the way. I did not watch the game or listen to it but it sounds familiar to the two home games we won where we had a couple bigs in the lineup.

Go Aces..way to get a W on the road.

Actually we didn't play with 2 bigs....our bigs were in foul trouble all night. Hall and Kuhlman had to give good minutes and they didn't kill us at all.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2017-18/6615/evansville-vs-valpo-01-24-2018/#playbyplay

Our normal lineup features Blake at the 4. Most teams would call this a 'small' lineup.

Check out the box score play by play:
7:50 - Hall in for Taylor. We play Hall/Traore, then Hall/DC, then Hall/Kuhlman, then Kuhlman/Traore for the rest of the half. A 17-21 deficit becomes a 38-30 lead at half. That's +12

Second half the 4 only subbed in for each other. Small lineup combos went +2, pretty much just maintaining the lead built over the 8 minute span.

That was an important 8 minute stretch.

Sorry....I agree with you....just have a hard time calling John Hall a 5. Just like I have a hard time calling Blake a true 4.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 pm

So far It appears to me that Loyola is maybe a couple of points better team than most. SIU / Valpo have no chance. The middle 7 teams are a push. Home court rules. A hot hand on a given night can move the needle. But the feel I have is we have more potential of stepping up to another level between now and March than anyone. Noah playing to the level of DS and RT, and factor in Blake ending his career with a hot 3pt hand, who knows. They key... don't have to play on Thursday.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:28 pm

The field is wide open. that is for sure. Avoiding Thrusday a real key but Aces are not consistent enough to avoid that. Hope I am wrong. Ramblers look like the team to beat and suddenly SIU is playing good as anyone

Return to “The Aces”