Game Thread: Northern Iowa @ Aces

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: Game Thread: Northern Iowa @ Aces

Postby E-Villan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 pm

I was a little surprised with Koch's absence as well.

When we grumble about Marty, let's be thankful we aren't giving him the money Jacobson is taking at UNI. With the success he has had, I would expect more than the garbage they put out there tonight. They have had more than their share of good luck, and maybe the tables are evening out. I hope so..I don't know if I am more happy Valpo won tonight because it enabled us to catch InSU, or because it knocked UNI into a last place tie. Hard to respect all that grabbing and flopping.

I think this is the updated standings after tonight.

1) Loyola 8-3
T2) Bradley 7-4
T2) Southern Illinois 7-4
T4) Drake 6-5
T4) Illinois State 6-5
T6) Evansville 5-6
T6) Indiana State 5-6
T6) Missouri State 5-6
T9) Valpo 3-8
T9) Northern Iowa 3-8

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:15 pm

This was one of the worst games to watch as a fan I can remember. All we had to do was breath on Bennett and a foul was called. Too many fouls overall, let em play for gosh sake's. This was a gutty win. I thought Taylor and Blake came up big. Kuhlman hit a couple big 3s and managed to not foul out when trying to guard Bennett.
I thought Taylor and Blake had very good games. We needed every thing we could get out of them because we are so much weaker without Smith on both ends of the floor. With no Boo or Hill we have so little in terms of ball handling guards.
I thought Bennett being taken out down the stretch did help us. He was having his way with us and they simply decided they had to go for 3s and we played pretty good D down the stretch.
I don't see how we can compete the rest of the way vs anyone other than maybe Valpo at home without Dru and the other guys that are out. I hope I am proven wrong. We pulled one out tonight without him but at Illinois State will be another story. Too bad. If we have any luck at all it's the bad kind.
Go Aces !

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 pm

GA Ace wrote:UNI keeps feeding Koch who is drawing fouls on our big men. Traore has 4 fouls, DC has 3. This not even 4 minutes into the second half.

Koch's 2 patented moves are butt bumping 4 or 5 times his defender back towards the basket or arms at head level of the defender clearing the defender out with arms and elbows. Referees clearly allowed this questionable play all night long and it was always a defensive foul.
We zoned one time which UNI easily beat along the baseline for a foul and 2 free throws.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:40 am

Congrats, Blake. No one will have a problem with his 39 minutes when he has a stat line like tonight.

Here’s my Blake Theory: Blake’s playing time has nothing to do with him being Marty’s son and everything to do with him being the exact type of player Marty wants.

My Blake Theory is tied to my Marty Theory: Marty cares more about process than results. Put another way, he believes so strongly that a good result eventually comes from a good process (and that a bad result eventually comes from a bad process) that (a) he won’t sit a player who practices and plays the “right way” (even when that player’s game day value isn’t always obvious), and (b) he'll sit a player who doesn’t practice or play the “right way” (even when it seems like good things happen the second that player touches the floor).

The Marty Theory pays dividends on nights like tonight. The fact that Blake, with as little god-given size and athleticism as he has, had 15 rebounds and 3 steals in a Division I basketball game is remarkable. I’m sure it’s possible only because, for the past 5 years, he’s practiced for hundreds and hundreds of hours doing exactly what his coaches have told him to do with an absolutely laser-like focus.

On one hand, I think Blake's game tonight shows that the Marty Theory would probably work if every recruit "bought into the system" like Marty always talks about. If we went into every season with all of our upperclassmen having put in work like Blake for their entire careers here, I bet our Marches would be a lot more exciting. On the other, when I hear Coach K and Calipari talk about how they approach each new season with an open mind and look for the unique strengths and weaknesses of that year’s team, it sounds a lot like the opposite of the Marty Theory.

I like the Marty Theory very much - in theory - and I think it actually is a sure path to success in almost every other facet of life. But I don’t expect it to hang too many banners in the Ford Center.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:49 am

Great win,yes it was ugly.But when you have two teams
that play great defence,it's going to look that way.
My only problem was with us having problems with Koch
why didn't we go to a zone.Can you say,Mule headed.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:18 am

fg4ster wrote:Congrats, Blake. No one will have a problem with his 39 minutes when he has a stat line like tonight.

Here’s my Blake Theory: Blake’s playing time has nothing to do with him being Marty’s son and everything to do with him being the exact type of player Marty wants.

My Blake Theory is tied to my Marty Theory: Marty cares more about process than results. Put another way, he believes so strongly that a good result eventually comes from a good process (and that a bad result eventually comes from a bad process) that (a) he won’t sit a player who practices and plays the “right way” (even when that player’s game day value isn’t always obvious), and (b) he'll sit a player who doesn’t practice or play the “right way” (even when it seems like good things happen the second that player touches the floor).

The Marty Theory pays dividends on nights like tonight. The fact that Blake, with as little god-given size and athleticism as he has, had 15 rebounds and 3 steals in a Division I basketball game is remarkable. I’m sure it’s possible only because, for the past 5 years, he’s practiced for hundreds and hundreds of hours doing exactly what his coaches have told him to do with an absolutely laser-like focus.

On one hand, I think Blake's game tonight shows that the Marty Theory would probably work if every recruit "bought into the system" like Marty always talks about. If we went into every season with all of our upperclassmen having put in work like Blake for their entire careers here, I bet our Marches would be a lot more exciting. On the other, when I hear Coach K and Calipari talk about how they approach each new season with an open mind and look for the unique strengths and weaknesses of that year’s team, it sounds a lot like the opposite of the Marty Theory.

I like the Marty Theory very much - in theory - and I think it actually is a sure path to success in almost every other facet of life. But I don’t expect it to hang too many banners in the Ford Center.

This post should be pinned to forum for as long as Simmons is the Aces coach.

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:00 am

Great effort from all, but hats off to Blake for 15 and 15 and only 1 foul. I was wondering if the walk on was getting nervous or excited.

Aces11
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2008

Postby Aces11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 am

Also on the bright side it appeared that the student section was much more enthusiastic during the game than they were the last game

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 am

fg4ster wrote:Congrats, Blake. No one will have a problem with his 39 minutes when he has a stat line like tonight.

This is pretty much spot on.

The only thing I can add is...when you recruit guys like Blake, Noah, Kuhlman, Dru Smith, Colt Ryan, DJ, etc (guys who are smart, know how to play, and can shoot the basketball) it will work. The problem we have all had with Marty is the recruitment of players who simply will never comprehend the offense and will never be able to shoot the ball and will always be an offensive liability their entire career no matter how much they attempt to buy in or try. If we could avoid those kind of recruits, we would have a lot more success than we've had.

All in all though, you certainly hit the nail on the head with the "Marty theory." I 100% believe that's what he thinks and how he approaches it. If you can get a team with enough smarts and basketball talent, it could potentially work, as you said, in theory. But that's the big if...and it still goes back to the recruiting problem.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
GA Ace wrote:UNI keeps feeding Koch who is drawing fouls on our big men. Traore has 4 fouls, DC has 3. This not even 4 minutes into the second half.

Koch's 2 patented moves are butt bumping 4 or 5 times his defender back towards the basket or arms at head level of the defender clearing the defender out with arms and elbows. Referees clearly allowed this questionable play all night long and it was always a defensive foul.
We zoned one time which UNI easily beat along the baseline for a foul and 2 free throws.

Totally agreed with this post. I am sure that Marty and the staff will break down the video on how we guarded Koch and the issues before the next game.

In a nutshell I think a lot of the fouls were because Evansville was trying to front Koch 100% of the time and Koch would raise his arms up as IBleed mentioned and then they would get tangled up and Koch would make it appear that he was getting fouled. Also Koch created a lot of contact with tactics like the "butt bumping" which also made it hard for the refs not to call something....So I think a lot of the fouls were due to the contact that Koch was creating when the Aces tried to front him.

So now the important question is: What is the solution for guarding him for the next game? One answer is mixing up the defensive coverages and schemes better next time. Not sure exactly what the details of that look like. Secondly (and arguably we have to figure out how to front him without creating so much contact. Again, not sure 100% how we do that. Do we try to "duck under" his arms when fronting him. His "butt bumping" certainly pushes the defender out on the floor more which causes the defender to have to "lean forward" a little bit to come back to deny him the ball. They need to practice solutions in practice with a couple of the big men to figure out what works. Thirdly they could try doubling more; but of course, that will open up the three point shooters more - which is dangerous.

It will be interesting to see what the adjustments we make in the second game; but you definitely want to keep the defensive pressure on the three point shooters as well. So it is a balancing act. Since we play them on February 13th it is unlikely that Dru would play or if he does that he would be any where near 100%.

As long as we can keep five healthy players on the floor I like this team and its chances. However, this is a real challenging stretch for the Aces; anything less than the Aces's absolute best means a Thursday play in game.

Go Aces!!!

Return to “The Aces”