Game Thread: Northern Iowa @ Aces

Discussions of all the Aces sports
letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Game Thread: Northern Iowa @ Aces

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 am

Tom Servo wrote:
muni cup14 wrote:It was quite obvious we could not contain koch so why did we not go to a 2-3 Zone they definitely could hit anything from outside

They scored 49 points -- I'd say the defense wasn't an issue.

The last thing we should be allowing is open threes...I keep repeating it, but how many times has that burned us over the years? The answer is too many. I can't really think of anytime in recent history a big guy inside has killed us. McDermott is probably the last one. Sure Koch got fouls on people but to be honest it didn't really mean much of anything. In fact, it finally got Evan in the game and he delivered.

Exactly

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 am

Tom Servo wrote:
muni cup14 wrote:It was quite obvious we could not contain koch so why did we not go to a 2-3 Zone they definitely could hit anything from outside

The last thing we should be allowing is open threes...I keep repeating it, but how many times has that burned us over the years? The answer is too many. I can't really think of anytime in recent history a big guy inside has killed us. McDermott is probably the last one. Sure Koch got fouls on people but to be honest it didn't really mean much of anything. In fact, it finally got Evan in the game and he delivered.

Between DC, DT, Kuhlman and Hall there were 20 fouls available against Koch. Koch made 1 basket in the 1st half and went 1-2, 0-1, 2-2 from the free throw line. In the 2nd half he made 3 baskets and made a +1, 1-2, 1-2, 2-2, and 1-2 from the free throw line. That is 7 possessions that UNI didn't score 21 points from beyond the arc and were limited to 14 possible points and only scored 8.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:

Between DC, DT, Kuhlman and Hall there were 20 fouls available against Koch. Koch made 1 basket in the 1st half and went 1-2, 0-1, 2-2 from the free throw line. In the 2nd half he made 3 baskets and made a +1, 1-2, 1-2, 2-2, and 1-2 from the free throw line. That is 7 possessions that UNI didn't score 21 points from beyond the arc and were limited to 14 possible points and only scored 8.

Thanks for sharing all that...definitely provides even more evidence to how effective it was.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 am

Tom Servo wrote:

Amen Tom. Hold teams to 49 points you will win a lot of ball games.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:30 pm

As their record reflects UNI is a bad team. It's a lot easier to hold a bad team to 49 points than it is a good one. Not demeaning the Aces defense, but they were not playing one of the better offensive teams last night. The Aces defense has been a whole lot better this year than I ever expected. Let's hope it continues that way, but Dru was a big part of that defense. Lets see what happens against good teams, and Ill. St. is a good team.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:29 pm

acecard wrote:As their record reflects UNI is a bad team. It's a lot easier to hold a bad team to 49 points than it is a good one. Not demeaning the Aces defense, but they were not playing one of the better offensive teams last night. The Aces defense has been a whole lot better this year than I ever expected. Let's hope it continues that way, but Dru was a big part of that defense. Lets see what happens against good teams, and Ill. St. is a good team.

I don't disagree with you. My point was there was no point to change the defense last night.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:15 pm

For whatever reason, and most of you have read them.....I am able to find fault in just about every game we play. Not because I want our team to fail, quite the contrary, I want whatever team we have left to use.... to be the best team they can be....and be as consistent as possible doing so. I thought our team showed a lot of guts last night. Did UNI shoot well...no. We didn't absolutely set the world on fire all night. But what I did see is a team that had a 11 point lead with 6:30 left in first half....lose it....get down quickly in the 2nd half and fight right back for a win. We overcame foul trouble, we overcame silly turnovers, we overcame poor free throw shooting, we overcame a more than usual rotating bench and we overcame another team in the Missouri Valley. If there is a concern that seems to have crept up on us lately is the fact that early in the year our post rotation was getting us 10-14 pts and 10+ rebounds a game. Lately we are struggling to get to both. Sure...getting in foul trouble will cause this....but as someone pointed out in another post "we have 20 fouls to give"....that means 4 players should be able to easily get us over both of those marks. I am hoping the increased minutes for John and Evan will translate to more production for this group. It allows us more options on the floor and can only help our inside-out game on both ends. No matter how anyone felt before the season, after it started or anytime since... no one could have ever foresaw what this team as gone through....I know I didn't. I am proud of the boys for staying strong when they were 2-6 and trying to make a run for the tournament. We have some very tough games in tough places left...hopefully our recent success can continue. On to the Redbirds.....Go Aces!!!
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Last night as I sat there watching our score sit at "21" for what seemed to be forever, I was ready to get up and leave...our team DID NOT stop fighting though, and that is what impressed me most about last night's victory,,,,the fight in our guys - and the 3-pointers I saw being made - how I do love the 3 being a weapon we use (and defending our opponent's 3's) Even fighting against those every-time-down- the court fouls called on us as Koch butt-fouled, elbow- fouled and was rewarded by getting free throws, our guys came roaring back after falling behind, and they scored 36 points the second half. I have said all year about this team that attitude and effort are our two best skills and make our offense move smoother and our defense cripple the opponent. Now losing Dru, the warrior, must force all the other guys to play with his passion. The rest of the team has to keep battling, and maybe Dru will be back to join them to finish out the season strong. I am still hoping for a tournament championship in March....Go, ACES!

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pm

No Dout last nights game was ugly without dru specially the 1st half second half we played team ball and other guys stepped up and made plays those two 3s by Evan were huge last years team would not be able to shoot those to get back into these type of games but this years team is different hopefully Dru returns before the regular seasons over as we need our warrior but really proud of our young guys and Blake stepping up and taking advantage of injury bugs we’ve had this season on to the Redbirds!

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 pm

They got the job done. Wasn’t pretty, but they got it done. Thing is, there were two coaches that want to play football on defense, and both did it well. UNI packed the lane about 10 to 15 feet out and dared UE to shoot it from the three point line, and more teams are going to dare KJ to shoot from there.

Happy about the win, but man, it was ugly. Oh, and the ascar goes to Mr. Koch for drawing all of those fouls.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Return to “The Aces”