Game Thread: Northern Iowa @ Aces

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Re: Game Thread: Northern Iowa @ Aces

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 am

It's also worth mentioning that on the UNI message board (which was posted earlier on this thread), a lot of the UNI fans think that it is time for Ben Jacobson to go.

UNI has certainly not been the same team the last couple of years (since they lost to Texas A&M in the NCAA tournament).

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 am

Always happy for a win and wasn't sure it would happen with Dru out. Ugly or not I will take it. Very good effort by all and particularly pleased with how RT and Blake elevated their game. However, avoiding a Thursday night game now looks unavoidable without having our best player available which totally has me aggravated. Perhaps Frederking and Kuhlman can hit a few more shots and Ryan will be lights outs as well, but on the defensive end I don't know how you replace hm.

On a side note, Koch on UNI is an excellent player but not sure how backing into your opponent while he is stationary is not an offensive foul.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 am

Austin Ace wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:
GA Ace wrote:UNI keeps feeding Koch who is drawing fouls on our big men. Traore has 4 fouls, DC has 3. This not even 4 minutes into the second half.

Koch's 2 patented moves are butt bumping 4 or 5 times his defender back towards the basket or arms at head level of the defender clearing the defender out with arms and elbows. Referees clearly allowed this questionable play all night long and it was always a defensive foul.
We zoned one time which UNI easily beat along the baseline for a foul and 2 free throws.

Totally agreed with this post. I am sure that Marty and the staff will break down the video on how we guarded Koch and the issues before the next game.

In a nutshell I think a lot of the fouls were because Evansville was trying to front Koch 100% of the time and Koch would raise his arms up as IBleed mentioned and then they would get tangled up and Koch would make it appear that he was getting fouled. Also Koch created a lot of contact with tactics like the "butt bumping" which also made it hard for the refs not to call something....So I think a lot of the fouls were due to the contact that Koch was creating when the Aces tried to front him.

So now the important question is: What is the solution for guarding him for the next game? One answer is mixing up the defensive coverages and schemes better next time. Not sure exactly what the details of that look like. Secondly (and arguably we have to figure out how to front him without creating so much contact. Again, not sure 100% how we do that. Do we try to "duck under" his arms when fronting him. His "butt bumping" certainly pushes the defender out on the floor more which causes the defender to have to "lean forward" a little bit to come back to deny him the ball. They need to practice solutions in practice with a couple of the big men to figure out what works. Thirdly they could try doubling more; but of course, that will open up the three point shooters more - which is dangerous.

It will be interesting to see what the adjustments we make in the second game; but you definitely want to keep the defensive pressure on the three point shooters as well. So it is a balancing act. Since we play them on February 13th it is unlikely that Dru would play or if he does that he would be any where near 100%.

As long as we can keep five healthy players on the floor I like this team and its chances. However, this is a real challenging stretch for the Aces; anything less than the Aces's absolute best means a Thursday play in game.

Go Aces!!!

Well said

I think part of the problem was they were trying to front him too far away from the basket and he was pinning them which forced our players out of position and then they had to bump and push to get around. I would suggest they play behind him that far from the basket. I can understand fronting when he gets into the lane or the low block, but I wouldn't try to do it in the mid post.

I definitely wouldn't double him. My theory always is to let big guys do whatever it is they do and defend it the best you can with one guy. No one has any real post game anymore like in the old days. If he scores 20+ and you hold everyone else in check, you will win. The one thing we should never do is leave open the shooters up there. That always leads to trouble.

All in all, I don't really mind him getting the majority of the points or the fouls, because it kept UNI from getting in rhythm from 3 which is where teams hurt us.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 am

Austin Ace wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:
GA Ace wrote:UNI keeps feeding Koch who is drawing fouls on our big men. Traore has 4 fouls, DC has 3. This not even 4 minutes into the second half.

Koch's 2 patented moves are butt bumping 4 or 5 times his defender back towards the basket or arms at head level of the defender clearing the defender out with arms and elbows. Referees clearly allowed this questionable play all night long and it was always a defensive foul.
We zoned one time which UNI easily beat along the baseline for a foul and 2 free throws.

Totally agreed with this post. I am sure that Marty and the staff will break down the video on how we guarded Koch and the issues before the next game.

In a nutshell I think a lot of the fouls were because Evansville was trying to front Koch 100% of the time and Koch would raise his arms up as IBleed mentioned and then they would get tangled up and Koch would make it appear that he was getting fouled. Also Koch created a lot of contact with tactics like the "butt bumping" which also made it hard for the refs not to call something....So I think a lot of the fouls were due to the contact that Koch was creating when the Aces tried to front him.

So now the important question is: What is the solution for guarding him for the next game? One answer is mixing up the defensive coverages and schemes better next time. Not sure exactly what the details of that look like. Secondly (and arguably we have to figure out how to front him without creating so much contact. Again, not sure 100% how we do that. Do we try to "duck under" his arms when fronting him. His "butt bumping" certainly pushes the defender out on the floor more which causes the defender to have to "lean forward" a little bit to come back to deny him the ball. They need to practice solutions in practice with a couple of the big men to figure out what works. Thirdly they could try doubling more; but of course, that will open up the three point shooters more - which is dangerous.

It will be interesting to see what the adjustments we make in the second game; but you definitely want to keep the defensive pressure on the three point shooters as well. So it is a balancing act. Since we play them on February 13th it is unlikely that Dru would play or if he does that he would be any where near 100%.

As long as we can keep five healthy players on the floor I like this team and its chances. However, this is a real challenging stretch for the Aces; anything less than the Aces's absolute best means a Thursday play in game.

Go Aces!!!

During the post game interview on the radio broadcast, Marty said the problem was that the defenders were playing behind Koch and not fronting him. What I saw early in the first half was fronting Koch led to a high pass over the defender giving Koch a easy path to the basket. Hopefully the problem can be worked out before the rematch.
Just a sidenote: Have you ever seen another D1 player with an uglier free throw style than Koch?

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 am

fg4ster wrote:Congrats, Blake. No one will have a problem with his 39 minutes when he has a stat line like tonight.

Here’s my Blake Theory: Blake’s playing time has nothing to do with him being Marty’s son and everything to do with him being the exact type of player Marty wants.

My Blake Theory is tied to my Marty Theory: Marty cares more about process than results. Put another way, he believes so strongly that a good result eventually comes from a good process (and that a bad result eventually comes from a bad process) that (a) he won’t sit a player who practices and plays the “right way” (even when that player’s game day value isn’t always obvious), and (b) he'll sit a player who doesn’t practice or play the “right way” (even when it seems like good things happen the second that player touches the floor).

The Marty Theory pays dividends on nights like tonight. The fact that Blake, with as little god-given size and athleticism as he has, had 15 rebounds and 3 steals in a Division I basketball game is remarkable. I’m sure it’s possible only because, for the past 5 years, he’s practiced for hundreds and hundreds of hours doing exactly what his coaches have told him to do with an absolutely laser-like focus.

On one hand, I think Blake's game tonight shows that the Marty Theory would probably work if every recruit "bought into the system" like Marty always talks about. If we went into every season with all of our upperclassmen having put in work like Blake for their entire careers here, I bet our Marches would be a lot more exciting. On the other, when I hear Coach K and Calipari talk about how they approach each new season with an open mind and look for the unique strengths and weaknesses of that year’s team, it sounds a lot like the opposite of the Marty Theory.

I like the Marty Theory very much - in theory - and I think it actually is a sure path to success in almost every other facet of life. But I don’t expect it to hang too many banners in the Ford Center.

Good night that is a helluva post. The Blake/Marty thing has been brought up hundreds if not thousands of times in the past 5 years. And this was the best post on the topic. Unfortunately you waited until year 5 to share it! :lol:

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 am

I hear a lot of people talking about this being an ugly game. Man, I thought it was beautiful as hell. Our guys knew they lost their best defender and I thought the Aces came out an fought their butts off to try and compensate for that loss. I thought we competed and scratched and clawed for 40 minutes. I know UNI isn't exactly the GS Warriors but holding a Division 1 team to 31% shooting is impressive.

I really like this team. At the beginning of the season I wouldn't thought there was any chance we could be 15-9 (5-6). Then if you tell me Taylor, Gibson, and Dru were going to miss extended time I definitely wouldn't have believed it. I'm not into participation trophies, but I couldn't be anymore proud of this team than what I am for accomplishing what they have so far. Not a ton of talent, battled through a ton of injuries, and still finding a way to compete. Congrats and thank you to everyone in the program. We can all argue about the state of the program and what needs to be done and we shouldn't have been in this position before the season, and you'd be right. But, I'm damn proud and impressed with the job the coaches and players have done this season and what they have been able to accomplish.

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 am

evilleman wrote:I hear a lot of people talking about this being an ugly game. Man, I thought it was beautiful as hell. Our guys knew they lost their best defender and I thought the Aces came out an fought their butts off to try and compensate for that loss. I thought we competed and scratched and clawed for 40 minutes. I know UNI isn't exactly the GS Warriors but holding a Division 1 team to 31% shooting is impressive.

I really like this team. At the beginning of the season I wouldn't thought there was any chance we could be 15-9 (5-6). Then if you tell me Taylor, Gibson, and Dru were going to miss extended time I definitely wouldn't have believed it. I'm not into participation trophies, but I couldn't be anymore proud of this team than what I am for accomplishing what they have so far. Not a ton of talent, battled through a ton of injuries, and still finding a way to compete. Congrats and thank you to everyone in the program. We can all argue about the state of the program and what needs to be done and we shouldn't have been in this position before the season, and you'd be right. But, I'm damn proud and impressed with the job the coaches and players have done this season and what they have been able to accomplish.

I like this post

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
fg4ster wrote:Congrats, Blake. No one will have a problem with his 39 minutes when he has a stat line like tonight.

Here’s my Blake Theory: Blake’s playing time has nothing to do with him being Marty’s son and everything to do with him being the exact type of player Marty wants.

My Blake Theory is tied to my Marty Theory: Marty cares more about process than results. Put another way, he believes so strongly that a good result eventually comes from a good process (and that a bad result eventually comes from a bad process) that (a) he won’t sit a player who practices and plays the “right way” (even when that player’s game day value isn’t always obvious), and (b) he'll sit a player who doesn’t practice or play the “right way” (even when it seems like good things happen the second that player touches the floor).

The Marty Theory pays dividends on nights like tonight. The fact that Blake, with as little god-given size and athleticism as he has, had 15 rebounds and 3 steals in a Division I basketball game is remarkable. I’m sure it’s possible only because, for the past 5 years, he’s practiced for hundreds and hundreds of hours doing exactly what his coaches have told him to do with an absolutely laser-like focus.

On one hand, I think Blake's game tonight shows that the Marty Theory would probably work if every recruit "bought into the system" like Marty always talks about. If we went into every season with all of our upperclassmen having put in work like Blake for their entire careers here, I bet our Marches would be a lot more exciting. On the other, when I hear Coach K and Calipari talk about how they approach each new season with an open mind and look for the unique strengths and weaknesses of that year’s team, it sounds a lot like the opposite of the Marty Theory.

I like the Marty Theory very much - in theory - and I think it actually is a sure path to success in almost every other facet of life. But I don’t expect it to hang too many banners in the Ford Center.

This post should be pinned to forum for as long as Simmons is the Aces coach.

Yes, an excellent post, and hits the nail right on the head.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 am

It was quite obvious we could not contain koch so why did we not go to a 2-3 Zone they definitely could hit anything from outside

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am

muni cup14 wrote:It was quite obvious we could not contain koch so why did we not go to a 2-3 Zone they definitely could hit anything from outside

They scored 49 points -- I'd say the defense wasn't an issue.

The last thing we should be allowing is open threes...I keep repeating it, but how many times has that burned us over the years? The answer is too many. I can't really think of anytime in recent history a big guy inside has killed us. McDermott is probably the last one. Sure Koch got fouls on people but to be honest it didn't really mean much of anything. In fact, it finally got Evan in the game and he delivered.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”