Down the stretch

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Down the stretch

Postby acecard » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:36 am

E-Villan wrote:If we want to avoid Thursday night, we are going to have to find two more teams to get behind us. The obvious answer to that would be the other two teams we are currently tied with at 5-6, Indiana State and Missouri State. Here is the remaining schedules for the three of us.

UE (5-6): @ILST, VALPO, @MSU, @UNI, LUC, @INST, SIU
MSU (5-6): @LUC, @INST, UE, @SIU, DU, BU, @UNI
INST (5-6): @UNI, MOST, LUC, @DU, SIU, UE, @BU

Head to head, the three of us all have one remaining game with each of us, so the opportunity is there to put a team a game back. Looking at this angle, Indiana State gets both us and MSU at home, MSU gets us at home and a roadie with INST, and we have to take both MSU and INST on the road. Slight nod in the head to head to Indiana State.

All three of us have to go to UNI, never an easy place for anyone to play. All three of us still have a game with Loyola, us and INST get them at home, while MSU has to play in Chicago.

I think Indiana State may have an overall advantage with the remaining schedule. Not by much. Our only positive is we have two games left with teams behind us, and they each only have one. I think we are going to need to win a minimum of 4 to get ahead of both MSU and INST, and possibly 5. In short, we are going to have to knock off both INST and MSU on the road, beat Valpo and SIU at home, and get at least 1 win between ILST, Loyola and UNI....all without Dru.

I can see a win against Valpo here, maybe a 50-50 shot at beating UNI there, and with Dru a chance of beating SIU here, and without Dru a loss. The other games are losses. That's my best guess at this time.

PurpleWhiskers
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 am

With this being Marty's last year to coach Blake, I would be surprised if the Aces didn't buy into more games with the CBI or CIT, assuming they are unable to make it into the NIT or Big Dance. If it comes down to a team vote, the team will vote to extend Blake's senior season.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am

I am not saying we won't take a buy tournament, but how would you justify doing it now to extend Blake's career...considering the fact we wouldn't do it 2 years ago with a much more successful team to extend DJ and Mock's? If Marty does that, it may be the ultimate wave of nepotism of his career.

IMO, it will indicate what our future with Marty is..we take a buy tournament, then it is safe to say his leash is still long enough to be back next year.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm

E-Villan wrote:I am not saying we won't take a buy tournament, but how would you justify doing it now to extend Blake's career...considering the fact we wouldn't do it 2 years ago with a much more successful team to extend DJ and Mock's? If Marty does that, it may be the ultimate wave of nepotism of his career.

IMO, it will indicate what our future with Marty is..we take a buy tournament, then it is safe to say his leash is still long enough to be back next year.

I don't think that would be the reason IMO. There is a nice core of rotational guys returning. To me that would be the benefit of playing (if the Aces chose to do so). They didn't take a buy tourney 2 years ago because the team voted not to.

I agree with your assessment that if they play in one it tells a lot about Marty's future.

PurpleWhiskers
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:30 pm

E-Villan wrote:I am not saying we won't take a buy tournament, but how would you justify doing it now to extend Blake's career...considering the fact we wouldn't do it 2 years ago with a much more successful team to extend DJ and Mock's? If Marty does that, it may be the ultimate wave of nepotism of his career.

Simple answer, DJ and Mock weren't Marty's sons and Marty is a nepotist. As I understood it at the time, it was the the team as a whole that voted not to play in any tournament below the NIT. DJ and Mock correctly expected to continue playing basketball professionally at some level. Why would they risk injury on a tourney that carries very little prestige with it? They made the wise choice. No senior this year will be risking a professional career by playing in the CIT or CBI. It appears that the team loves their teammate Blake. He is a likable goober and the gift of several more games together seems appropriate. In addition, Marty Hill could return before long and salvage something of a lost year of eligibility and benefit from additional games to build on for next season. In my humble opinion, as fans, we should dry our eyes and warm up to the idea of playing in a buy-in tourney. I'm not a Blake or Marty fan, they've been mediocre at best, but I'm not vindictive either. Additional games as father/son coach/player would make a nice going away present for each of them and a benefit to newcomers Noah, Evan, Dainius and Marty Hill. I'm fine with it.

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

evilleman wrote:

I don't think that would be the reason IMO. There is a nice core of rotational guys returning. To me that would be the benefit of playing (if the Aces chose to do so). They didn't take a buy tourney 2 years ago because the team voted not to.

I agree with your assessment that if they play in one it tells a lot about Marty's future.

Agree totally different scenario this year as two years ago it was ncaa nit or bust but this will tell a bunch about Martys future with Evansville

tomace44
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby tomace44 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Excuse me I thought this team would be "LUCKY" to win any games this year ha ha go Marty go

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm

tomace44 wrote:Excuse me I thought this team would be "LUCKY" to win any games this year ha ha go Marty go

BINGO!!! We have a winner!

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:

Simple answer, DJ and Mock weren't Marty's sons and Marty is a nepotist. As I understood it at the time, it was the the team as a whole that voted not to play in any tournament below the NIT. DJ and Mock correctly expected to continue playing basketball professionally at some level. Why would they risk injury on a tourney that carries very little prestige with it? They made the wise choice. No senior this year will be risking a professional career by playing in the CIT or CBI. It appears that the team loves their teammate Blake. He is a likable goober and the gift of several more games together seems appropriate. In addition, Marty Hill could return before long and salvage something of a lost year of eligibility and benefit from additional games to build on for next season. In my humble opinion, as fans, we should dry our eyes and warm up to the idea of playing in a buy-in tourney. I'm not a Blake or Marty fan, they've been mediocre at best, but I'm not vindictive either. Additional games as father/son coach/player would make a nice going away present for each of them and a benefit to newcomers Noah, Evan, Dainius and Marty Hill. I'm fine with it.

Good perspective, and I would agree wholeheartedly if I thought that was the pre-decided end game..and it may be.

My concern would be either we make a deep run, and in a warped sense, it somehow gives what Marty is doing here some validity, especially with a new President coming in...or, we take an early exit from a team we wouldn't want to see on our non-con schedule, and the program takes another unnecessary black eye.

If your scenario is correct, it's additional playing time and a nice going away present, then I am right there with you. Play on!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

When the team voted no to the CIT a couple years ago was because they were heartbroken that expectations were not met (no NIT or NCAA bid). They had shared the feeling they had nothing to prove by playing in the CIT. I not advocating this type of tournament by wanting to throw "a parade" should they be extended a bid this season. However, given the expectations we had FOR THIS TEAM THIS YEAR I have less a problem with it. I do believe the experience it would provide the younger players would prove invaluable for them as they move forward. If the present administration would see the CIT bid as something they are satisfied with given that the present coach has no NIT or NCAA bids in his tenure I then have a problem with it.

Return to “The Aces”