Down the stretch

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Down the stretch

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Just curious here, but why spend that money to play in the CBI or CIT when it could be better served being used elsewhere? I mean, a few grand in the recruiting budget or coach’s pocket (assistant) would be better than beating (or even losing) to a NJIT in a tournament that would mean absolutely nothing.

The MVC as a whole has quit participating in the pay to plays. Why should UE really do it?
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Blindhorse
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Blindhorse » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Things always change. At one time, the NIT was THE SHOW.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:32 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
E-Villan wrote:I am not saying we won't take a buy tournament, but how would you justify doing it now to extend Blake's career...considering the fact we wouldn't do it 2 years ago with a much more successful team to extend DJ and Mock's? If Marty does that, it may be the ultimate wave of nepotism of his career.

IMO, it will indicate what our future with Marty is..we take a buy tournament, then it is safe to say his leash is still long enough to be back next year.

Simple answer, DJ and Mock weren't Marty's sons and Marty is a nepotist. As I understood it at the time, it was the the team as a whole that voted not to play in any tournament below the NIT. DJ and Mock correctly expected to continue playing basketball professionally at some level. Why would they risk injury on a tourney that carries very little prestige with it? They made the wise choice. No senior this year will be risking a professional career by playing in the CIT or CBI. It appears that the team loves their teammate Blake. He is a likable goober and the gift of several more games together seems appropriate. In addition, Marty Hill could return before long and salvage something of a lost year of eligibility and benefit from additional games to build on for next season. In my humble opinion, as fans, we should dry our eyes and warm up to the idea of playing in a buy-in tourney. I'm not a Blake or Marty fan, they've been mediocre at best, but I'm not vindictive either. Additional games as father/son coach/player would make a nice going away present for each of them and a benefit to newcomers Noah, Evan, Dainius and Marty Hill. I'm fine with it.

Not that it may matter to you or some others on this forum, but your reference to Blake as a "liable goober" I find as a needless jab at a really good young man. He is an honor roll student and has represented the university very well. I imagine he has faced a lot of obstacles as being the "coaches son". He has handled it admirably. And though I completely and overwhelming agree he has been over used, I think you are taking the wrong swipe at someone. Marty has made those decisions by himself.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper

Postby PurpleAces » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Just my thoughts but I don't want to see us play in any of those tourneys. First off we would probably lose money. Not sure if they could get 3,500 to show up and with the FC rent that would break even. What experience would we get out of that a couple more games against teams that are weaker than the Valley teams. Not really worth it for a couple games cosidering all the injuries this team has went through all year. Just pack it up get healthy and call it a year.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 pm

This fan does NOT want to spend any money to buy in to one of those lesser "tournaments" it was good to experience that a few years earlier. I remember all the talk about "how that championship would serve as a step up to the NIT or NCAA tournament entries/wins ...well, here we are trying to stay out of the bottom 4 in the MVC...so I say let's concentrate on the quality of our program in the future - money better spent.

I also want to say I hope this issue has nothing to do with Blake. He takes a lot of criticism for things he can't control, like his playing time. I wish other guys got more time, as they surely will now with so many injured players Blake isn't a "natural" -not a speedy player - but I think he gives 100% to help his team succeed. He is a threat to shoot/make the 3, which is quite an asset to any team. I hope he gets his "reward" for his time here not by playing in a paid-for tourney but instead....going dancing.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:
E-Villan wrote:I am not saying we won't take a buy tournament, but how would you justify doing it now to extend Blake's career...considering the fact we wouldn't do it 2 years ago with a much more successful team to extend DJ and Mock's? If Marty does that, it may be the ultimate wave of nepotism of his career.

IMO, it will indicate what our future with Marty is..we take a buy tournament, then it is safe to say his leash is still long enough to be back next year.

Simple answer, DJ and Mock weren't Marty's sons and Marty is a nepotist. As I understood it at the time, it was the the team as a whole that voted not to play in any tournament below the NIT. DJ and Mock correctly expected to continue playing basketball professionally at some level. Why would they risk injury on a tourney that carries very little prestige with it? They made the wise choice. No senior this year will be risking a professional career by playing in the CIT or CBI. It appears that the team loves their teammate Blake. He is a likable goober and the gift of several more games together seems appropriate. In addition, Marty Hill could return before long and salvage something of a lost year of eligibility and benefit from additional games to build on for next season. In my humble opinion, as fans, we should dry our eyes and warm up to the idea of playing in a buy-in tourney. I'm not a Blake or Marty fan, they've been mediocre at best, but I'm not vindictive either. Additional games as father/son coach/player would make a nice going away present for each of them and a benefit to newcomers Noah, Evan, Dainius and Marty Hill. I'm fine with it.

Not that it may matter to you or some others on this forum, but your reference to Blake as a "liable goober" I find as a needless jab at a really good young man. He is an honor roll student and has represented the university very well. I imagine he has faced a lot of obstacles as being the "coaches son". He has handled it admirably. And though I completely and overwhelming agree he has been over used, I think you are taking the wrong swipe at someone. Marty has made those decisions by himself.

It matter to me that you misquoted me. I called Blake a "likable" goober not a "liable" goober. Big difference between likable and liable. To clarify, I did not mean it as a jab. I'll explain. Urban dictionary defines goober as "a term of affection for a lovable, silly, lighthearted person. Always easy to poke fun at without actually meaning harm". That's exactly how I meant it and I believe it not only fits Blake it is a commendable and valuable attribute to have on a stressed-out team depleted by injuries and adversity.

Every team needs a Blake (in practice, on the floor and somewhere on the bench 20 minutes per game). He smiles often during games. Good for him, it is just a game no matter how serious we are about it. By being cheerful and lighthearted he helps take the stress away from other players. When they are down, he is there to pick them up. The new players rely on him for instruction on "The System." I hate the system but if we are stuck with it, and it appears we are, it's nice to have an extra coach on the floor. Lastly, it is very well known and often mentioned that Blake is an outstanding student with an outstanding attitude. That doesn't happen by chance, Blake has been blessed with great parents. With a solid foundation, Blake has a great future ahead of him. I wish the same could be said of Aces basketball in the Marty Ball era where finishing 6th and avoiding a Thursday game is considered a great year worthy of a contract extension.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:

Not that it may matter to you or some others on this forum, but your reference to Blake as a "liable goober" I find as a needless jab at a really good young man. He is an honor roll student and has represented the university very well. I imagine he has faced a lot of obstacles as being the "coaches son". He has handled it admirably. And though I completely and overwhelming agree he has been over used, I think you are taking the wrong swipe at someone. Marty has made those decisions by himself.[/quote
It matter to me that you misquoted me. I called Blake a "likable" goober not a "liable" goober. Big difference between likable and liable. To clarify, I did not mean it as a jab. I'll explain. Urban dictionary defines goober as "a term of affection for a lovable, silly, lighthearted person. Always easy to poke fun at without actually meaning harm". That's exactly how I meant it and I believe it not only fits Blake it is a commendable and valuable attribute to have on a stressed-out team depleted by injuries and adversity.

Every team needs a Blake (in practice, on the floor and somewhere on the bench 20 minutes per game). He smiles often during games. Good for him, it is just a game no matter how serious we are about it. By being cheerful and lighthearted he helps take the stress away from other players. When they are down, he is there to pick them up. The new players rely on him for instruction on "The System." I hate the system but if we are stuck with it, and it appears we are, it's nice to have an extra coach on the floor. Lastly, it is very well known and often mentioned that Blake is an outstanding student with an outstanding attitude. That doesn't happen by chance, Blake has been blessed with great parents. With a solid foundation, Blake has a great future ahead of him. I wish the same could be said of Aces basketball in the Marty Ball era where finishing 6th and avoiding a Thursday game is considered a great year worthy of a contract extension.

I kind of doubt to many people on this forum use the"urban dictinary" Webster is just fine by me and I think you will find the definition of "goober' quite a bit different.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 pm

sect.3purple wrote:This fan does NOT want to spend any money to buy in to one of those lesser "tournaments" it was good to experience that a few years earlier. I remember all the talk about "how that championship would serve as a step up to the NIT or NCAA tournament entries/wins ...well, here we are trying to stay out of the bottom 4 in the MVC...so I say let's concentrate on the quality of our program in the future - money better spent.

I also want to say I hope this issue has nothing to do with Blake. He takes a lot of criticism for things he can't control, like his playing time. I wish other guys got more time, as they surely will now with so many injured players Blake isn't a "natural" -not a speedy player - but I think he gives 100% to help his team succeed. He is a threat to shoot/make the 3, which is quite an asset to any team. I hope he gets his "reward" for his time here not by playing in a paid-for tourney but instead....going dancing.

+100

Great Post and Spot On !!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 am

Where would we be without Blake this year.I think about
9-15 instead of 15-9. Maybe worse ;) :(

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Postby Aceup13 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 am

muni cup14 wrote:Where would we be without Blake this year.I think about
9-15 instead of 15-9. Maybe worse ;) :(

Yes I like Blake. I have had him in a couple of classes and he is more knowledgeable about basketball than most of you think and he has been very committed to getting better and he HAS!!

Return to “The Aces”