Game Thread - Aces @ Illinois State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
indymoon
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Game Thread - Aces @ Illinois State

Postby indymoon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Aces22 wrote:Not even a ball screen for Taylor there!!!!

And no, that was clean unfortunately.

Yes, need something there or let Gibson bring the ball up and set 3-4 screens for Taylor.

Aces have no answer for Fayne and haven't for 3 years. Why ISU doesn't get him the ball every time down is beyond me.
Last edited by indymoon on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Aces22 wrote:Not even a ball screen for Taylor there!!!!

And no, that was clean unfortunately.

Defender never touched the ball and got all forearm!

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 pm

Very good effort and close game. They played hard. I have 2 questions:

1. Why did Kuhlman play so little (2 min) after contributing so much in the win over N.Iowa?

2. Knowing we needed a three to tie, why didn’t we set up a play to free up Taylor or Frederking? I guess the play was to make Taylor go one against the team.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Well, I’m shocked that we played that well. Honestly, against any other team but them that probably would be a win.

What’s encouraging is that every other game here on out we have a chance to win. We just have to learn from things that went wrong.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

GA Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Purpleredbird, are you out there? Would like to hear your takes as I'm sure you were at the game. From your vantage point was Taylor fouled on the 3 attempt at the end of the game?

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader

Postby sect.3purple » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Taylor was phenomenal....too bad we couldn't gt the win ....I am still hoping for an exit out of the bottom 4 and Dru's return before the tourney.....that would be a good time to finally put that phenomenal shooting along with energized defense and FOCUSED effort by everyone else on the team toward a championship...today's loss was the result of several careless mistakes and poor decisions, both of which are correctable.

Ad1770
Road Tripper

Postby Ad1770 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:23 pm

I’m letting this one sink in before speaking.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Once again.....team never gave up. We just do not have enough weapons inside and out. Fayne is used the same way DC, DT and John are....never. Those 3 usually get what scraps the offense leaves them. Thought DC played well on the boards, but he cannot keep getting those silly, physical fouls that put him on the bench or the other team on the line. Sometimes restraint is for the better good. Ryan is Ryan and is going to get his points...but we have to get way more production from the Point (2 of 13 combined for Riley and Boo) and others on the offensive end. We also cannot make 10+ "foolish" turnovers against a team like Illinois State. Gave them 17 pts off those turnovers. And our rebounding, even though we won in the stats, was somewhat lacking in the 2nd half (lost by 6). We are so very close to being a very competitive team....but once again not always consistent and you never know from game to game who is going to help Ryan on offense. Today hurt....and it was a game that Illinois St tried 2 to 3 times to give back to us... but we just couldn't find a way. Hopefully that is something we can accomplish down the stretch and use for the tournament. On to Valpo....Go Aces!!!
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader

Postby sect.3purple » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:28 pm

I sure thought it looked like Taylor was fouled on that last shot he took, just as I thought there were several calls against us under the basket that were not fairly called! We still would have won had we not had such bad turnovers - just have to play smarter and more focused.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm

GA Ace wrote:Purpleredbird, are you out there? Would like to hear your takes as I'm sure you were at the game. From your vantage point was Taylor fouled on the 3 attempt at the end of the game?

I was there proudly wearing my Aces shirt and ISU hat. Our seats are 10 rows up on the free throw line on the exact side Ryan took the shot. From my vantage point I thought it was a great defensive play. No way a decent ref would ever call that a foul

Overall proud of the Aces. Played very hard the entire way. Taylor just got no help on the offensive side. David N from ISU had 6 blocks and at least twice that many alterations. To me he was the clear MVP of the game.

Return to “The Aces”