Game Thread - Aces @ Illinois State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Game Thread - Aces @ Illinois State

Postby pafan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:44 pm

I agree watching on TV, live and on replay - good defense / good no-call.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

indymoon
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby indymoon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm

sect.3purple wrote:I sure thought it looked like Taylor was fouled on that last shot he took, just as I thought there were several calls against us under the basket that were not fairly called! We still would have won had we not had such bad turnovers - just have to play smarter and more focused.

What did you think of the Rebound foul call on Blake (his 4th I believe)? It looked to me like Blake had position and the ISU player jumped so Blake appeared to undercut him. I also think D.C. has yet to get any respect from officials.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:43 pm

indymoon wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:I sure thought it looked like Taylor was fouled on that last shot he took, just as I thought there were several calls against us under the basket that were not fairly called! We still would have won had we not had such bad turnovers - just have to play smarter and more focused.

What did you think of the Rebound foul call on Blake (his 4th I believe)? It looked to me like Blake had position and the ISU player jumped so Blake appeared to undercut him. I also think D.C. has yet to get any respect from officials.

DC won't as long as he acts like a bull in a china shop. He has got to be smarter and has to recognize how a game is being called....whether we like it or not. We cannot have him on the bench every game due to foul trouble. Unfortunately.....this is something that came with him from VU
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:57 pm

indymoon wrote:

Ultimately, the story of the game was that ISU adjusted to the way the refs were officiating and the Aces did not. That's why there was such a free throw difference. One man's opinion.

One of these days I'm going to get my tie.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:00 pm

I did not watch or listen to the game. Saw highlights at 10pm and just read all the posts.
My take on this game continues to give me confidence in the fact that once we get Dru back if no other Ace goes down
we have just as good a chance to win it in St Louis as any other team. Illinois State is one of the better teams in the league and we just
went toe to toe with them on their floor without Dru. I felt we did play them tougher than I thought we would without him. Illinois State may have overlooked this game a bit as well since they beat us at our place already, either way, we were there in the end like we have been on the road in all games but one to this point (Drake). Go Aces ! Keep fighting, improving and we have a good chance in St Louis.

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1991

Postby acesfan27 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:54 am

Very proud of the effort against a good Red Birds team on the road I knew with Smith out it was going to be tough but our guys hung in there and battled Ill State till the end there will always be home cooking for the home teams usually so that is expected just have to keep playing tough and shoot defend rebound and get to the line we have just as good of chance of winning in St Louis as the other 7 teams lets go get Valpo this Wednesday and get back in the swing of things go Aces!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:17 am

Aces22 wrote:Not even a ball screen for Taylor there!!!!

And no, that was clean unfortunately.

Im sure thats why Marty was chewing Evans Ass
out after that shot.He didnt do a ball screen

NumbersDontLie
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:53 am

muni cup14 wrote:
Aces22 wrote:Not even a ball screen for Taylor there!!!!

And no, that was clean unfortunately.

Im sure thats why Marty was chewing Evans Ass
out after that shot.He didnt do a ball screen

I just rewatched the last minute. Taylor starts dribbling up the right, then switches over to his left to cross mid court. Evan comes to the top of the key and signals RT to use a ball screen back towards his right. Taylor instead goes back to the spot he just made the shot before and faded away left.

Not sure what was discussed in the huddle. Looked to me like you had a combo of guys who had never practiced that play together miscommunicate. In practice it’s probably DC or DT that sets the screen.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 am

There are 4 maybe 5 teams that could string 3 wins on a neutral court in St. Louis together. It'll take an early win over Ill. State or Loyola. It's not impossible.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 am

svmar10 wrote:There are 4 maybe 5 teams that could string 3 wins on a neutral court in St. Louis together. It'll take an early win over Ill. State or Loyola. It's not impossible.

I don't disagree that we could put three wins together in St. Louis, but if you are including us, then the number of teams that could do it is closer to 8. Other than Valpo and UNI, we haven't proven we are better than any of the others. Not saying we can't beat the other 7, just that there is at least that many that can do the same.

We might be able to pull off 3, but 4 is nearly impossible, which makes the first order of business to avoid Thursday night. A task that is daunting considering we will probably have to beat both Indiana State and Missouri State on the road to do it.

Return to “The Aces”