Game Thread - Aces @ Illinois State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Game Thread - Aces @ Illinois State

Postby Ad1770 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:37 am

Thought about it, and have a few things to say here. First, the boys played tough without Dru, and should have WON this game. Illinois State is not as good on court, and their role players are not having the career years as they did last year. This is now two games against this team they should have won. These are the games that burn me. These are the games that keep the Aces from being contenders every year. And the reason is always that it is “tough to win on the road in the Valley”. Guess what. Must not be too tough. I believe every team has lost at least one Valley game at home.

Next up, saying when Dru comes back, we would be ready for them, I will remind you that we lost to them AT HOME, with Dru and RT playing.

Lastly, I keep hearing about the 6th spot. That would be the worst place this team could finish because I am pretty sure the tournament will be chalk all the way through. At 6, that puts us against the top 3 teams in the league (currently Loyola, SIU, and ISUr*). We are a collective 0-4 against these three teams. Lost to all of them once with Dru on the floor, and should have beat them all on the road.

But hey, I’m happy that the smallest school in D-1 hung with the huge public school from Illinois and only lost by 4.

* ISUr, Bradley, and Drake are all currrntly ties for third. ISUr gets the spot due to RPI tiebreaker.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Thought about it, and have a few things to say here. First, the boys played tough without Dru, and should have WON this game. Illinois State is not as good on court, and their role players are not having the career years as they did last year. This is now two games against this team they should have won. These are the games that burn me. These are the games that keep the Aces from being contenders every year. And the reason is always that it is “tough to win on the road in the Valley”. Guess what. Must not be too tough. I believe every team has lost at least one Valley game at home.

Next up, saying when Dru comes back, we would be ready for them, I will remind you that we lost to them AT HOME, with Dru and RT playing.

Lastly, I keep hearing about the 6th spot. That would be the worst place this team could finish because I am pretty sure the tournament will be chalk all the way through. At 6, that puts us against the top 3 teams in the league (currently Loyola, SIU, and ISUr*). We are a collective 0-4 against these three teams. Lost to all of them once with Dru on the floor, and should have beat them all on the road.

But hey, I’m happy that the smallest school in D-1 hung with the huge public school from Illinois and only lost by 4.

* ISUr, Bradley, and Drake are all currrntly ties for third. ISUr gets the spot due to RPI tiebreaker.

Dru Smith did not play in the first game vs the Redbirds at the Ford Center. Here is a link to the Box Score:
http://www.gopurpleaces.com/boxscore.as ... ath=mbball

At Arch Madness, the #6 seed is in the opposite bracket from the #1 seed. Number 6 would not play #1 until the Championship Game.
http://www.mvc-sports.com/sports/2017/8 ... ntral.aspx

Atlanta Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info Acefan. I thought Dru missed the first game against the Redbirds.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:45 pm

The one team that proves I don't know much about this game is SIU. I've seen them twice, (one was UE at Carbondale live). They barely squeaked out that win because the refs allowed 2 handed mugging against our guards the whole game. The Salukis looked clumsy and mediocre. They're in 2nd place? I'd be surprised if any of us could pick the championship game, maybe not even one of the teams.

Bradley vs UE

Remember, I said I don't know much.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Acefan,
The 6 seed does indeed play the 3 seed in the late game on Friday.
Which means AD1770 is correct in his assessment of having to play the 3 best teams if a team is the 6 seed.
First, you would play the 3, in the last game of the day, then barring upsets, play the 2 on Saturday, then the 1 on Sunday.
So unless they get help from the 4/5 winner, or the 7/10 winner, the 6 has to go through the top 3 seeds.
Playing in the 4/5 game on Friday afternoon would be the best way to go, but that is going to require winning out at home, (doable) and winning a couple on the road.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm

svmar10: I agree. Arch Madnesss should be lit this year. But even so, I haven't decided whether to go or not this year.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:03 pm

AcesChamps6571 wrote:Acefan,
The 6 seed does indeed play the 3 seed in the late game on Friday.
Which means AD1770 is correct in his assessment of having to play the 3 best teams if a team is the 6 seed.
First, you would play the 3, in the last game of the day, then barring upsets, play the 2 on Saturday, then the 1 on Sunday.
So unless they get help from the 4/5 winner, or the 7/10 winner, the 6 has to go through the top 3 seeds.
Playing in the 4/5 game on Friday afternoon would be the best way to go, but that is going to require winning out at home, (doable) and winning a couple on the road.

Exactly!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 pm

E-Villan wrote:
svmar10 wrote:There are 4 maybe 5 teams that could string 3 wins on a neutral court in St. Louis together. It'll take an early win over Ill. State or Loyola. It's not impossible.

I don't disagree that we could put three wins together in St. Louis, but if you are including us, then the number of teams that could do it is closer to 8. Other than Valpo and UNI, we haven't proven we are better than any of the others. Not saying we can't beat the other 7, just that there is at least that many that can do the same.

We might be able to pull off 3, but 4 is nearly impossible, which makes the first order of business to avoid Thursday night. A task that is daunting considering we will probably have to beat both Indiana State and Missouri State on the road to do it.

Well, I would certainly agree that anything is possible in the MVC race this year, but I certainly think that winning 4 games on 4 days in St. Louis is getting pretty close to impossible for the Aces. I will have to say that the Aces have done things this season that I didn't think they could do, and am constantly amazed at what they are doing, considering the players that are available at this time. As long as Dru is unavailable, I still think that it would be a miracle for the Aces to avoid Thursday.

svmar10
Road Tripper

Postby svmar10 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Well this goes back to the point, that barring obtaining a FISA warrant and wire tapping Marty's phone, nobody has a clue on day to day status or activity. After all we fans just need to learn to mind our own business. BUT, someone I've know to have good info says Dru could be back for the last 2 games of the season, maybe even 3. For what's it's worth.... which isn't much.

Aces22
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1986

Postby Aces22 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Marry hill getting a redshirt year.

Return to “The Aces”