Game Thread Valpo @ Aces

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Thread Valpo @ Aces

Postby acecard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm glad I didn't pay any money to see this game. I couldn't tell you which team is worse.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Valpo is bad. And we have had several calls go our way down the stretch. Have to close out the win at home.

Aces22
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1986

Postby Aces22 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Nice win, Taylor is playing amazing. Rare close conference game that has went our way. Could easily be 8-5, 9-4.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm

A win is a win, so they say. We had to win that game and thankfully we did.

There were a lot of bad things that I’m not going to get into here. Thankfully Taylor was able to make enough incredibly difficult shots to pull it out for us.

It will take a much better performance in the next game to win.

We still have a chance at avoiding Thursday
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 pm

Taylor had 23 FG att the rest of the team combined had 24. Great job by Taylor.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Only the second time all season the Aces have won while trailing at the half. I'll take it.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Tough game on both ends as both teams played some pretty solid D. We looked early like we read the headlines with the long home winning streak vs Valpo..it almost came to an end.

This was once again a very boring game...watch us stand around, no aggression, look at one option called RT time and time again, over and over. Only when DC slammed one down in the 2nd half did I actually wake up in full from my nap.

However, on the bright side a win is a win. Valpo has been in most games they have lost at home or on the road and without our MVP on both ends of the floor (DRU) we are simply not very good. We are so short handed at guard, Boo is simply a shadow of his former self in being on one leg.

Unfortunately as others have said and probably thought, this is likely our most winnable game the rest of the season. Missouri State looked a lot better vs Indiana State on the road and they have just been waiting for a payback at their place after we beat em pretty easily here when we were closer to full strength. I hate to think it but with Dru out for another few weeks I don't see how we can stay out of a Thursday game. Maybe the guys can prove me wrong, I hope they do.

Go Aces !

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Wins are good. But in this fan's opinion, this was your typical grind it out, boring Martyball game. Dribble dribble dribble until Ryan gets free on a cut. Ryan Taylor is a handful for sure and there is no way the Aces would have won if he had taken less than half of their shots. We won but it was ugly to watch. Valpo plays a more exciting uptempo game but they are sitting in last place in their first year in the MVC so they have their own problems to deal with. If they had Ryan Taylor to complement their athleticism they would be sitting on top of the conference. One extra player to complete the puzzle makes a difference. We need Dru back or we may not win another game. We cannot expect KJ to bank in a 3 before the shot clock expires or Taylor to put up 30 a night.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Biggest positive- we played Valpo instead of someone named Creighton or Wichita.

They definitely stick out as not quite up to Valley level competition yet, but they will get there soon. I think I saw only a few upperclassmen on their roster. Mostly freshmen and sophomores plus they were missing their #2 scorer- like we are with Dru.

Things get a whole lot tougher now.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:14 am

Ryan Taylor is a fabulous shooter, and without him we would have been dead in the water....which is exactly how we played...one player, usually Riley, dribbled at the top pf the key while everyone else stood around waiting for Ryan to make his curl and shoot. We stood around during the first half and watched their 3-point shooters swish shot after shot. We couldn't hold onto the ball , turning it over several times. No one except Ryan even looked for a shot. Energy? We hardly broke a sweat!! We were lucky tonight, not good.....Ryan won this game. The others watched. Not a winning strategy that will carry us very far!

Glad for the win, but not optimistic for the future if we don't start playing smarter and tougher!

Return to “The Aces”