Game Thread Valpo @ Aces

Discussions of all the Aces sports
svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Game Thread Valpo @ Aces

Postby svmar10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 am

What makes this game so disgustingly miserable is where we are in the season. We're looking for a sign of life building up to March and we saw that. We know Riley has game. Austin Peaty, 22 points, shot 17 free throws, faked, spun, drove the lane... Last night him and the team were tied for number of penetrating drives past the defense, Z E R O !!!!! Other than RT it was 40 minutes of "deer in headlights". In the huddle when Marty was drawing on the board you could almost see them mumble " Oh that again, we fumble around for 25 seconds and get into Ryan's hands"
Did I mention how late in season it is????? Not Happy, very much NOT HAPPY.

We were very lucky we played the one team in the valley that can be beat by 1 on 5 basketball. RT, you are "THE MAN".

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 am

Aces win,Aces win,Aces win :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atlanta Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 am

Glad the Aces won. I tried streaming the game on ESPN 3 with little success. No doubt Taylor is a stud. I'll feel a little better when Dru is back out on the floor. I did get to see KJ's bank shot 3. :o

MVC Standings Capture.PNG
MVC Standings Capture.PNG (20.69 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 am

I had a prior commitment last night and did not see one second of the game. Sounds like we lost. However, ESPN says we won. That's confusing.

I've said this before and after reading this thread I feel the need to repeat myself. Whether you like Marty or want him fired, love the motion offense or it makes you fall asleep.... If you tell me before the season the Aces were going to be 16-10 I would have laughed at you. If you tell me we are going to play a portion of the season without Taylor I would have lost a lot of money. If you tell me that we would have lost Taylor for a period and Dru for a period I would have lost my house and vehicle.

I'm not saying everything has to be nice and rosey because there are obviously issues and they need to be addressed. But, when talking about this years team how about we show some damn love to these guys. No one is going to crown them the most talented team ever but damn they come out and play hard EVERY night. I'm not into participation trophies nor should UE be (another topic another day) but I respect what this team has accomplished.

This next part is going to upset some folks here and won't be popular. This season is Marty Simmons best coaching job since taking over at UE. Now, let me preface by saying he is in charge of the roster so he is part of the problem of why we are here. But, taking recruiting out and just purely talking coaching this is the best year he's had. I know some will disagree with schemes and personnel and I get that. I judge a coach in season on how his team is producing based on talent. This UE is over achieving. Marty has also done a good job of keeping the team together through all the injuries.

**That is all I have to say. Now back to the regularly scheduled Marty bashing**

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 am

Still.... not happy.... very much. That effort with that game plan is a Thursday night beat down, When surprising to all of us we've seen glimpses of Sunday afternoon competitiveness. Why did we back up?

evilleman
Head Cheerleader

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 am

svmar10 wrote:Still.... not happy.... very much. That effort with that game plan is a Thursday night beat down, When surprising to all of us we've seen glimpses of Sunday afternoon competitiveness. Why did we back up?

Well in fairness probably not a Thursday night beatdown because there is a decent chance we would play Valpo again on Thursday. But I get where you are coming from.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 am

evilleman wrote:I had a prior commitment last night and did not see one second of the game. Sounds like we lost. However, ESPN says we won. That's confusing.

I've said this before and after reading this thread I feel the need to repeat myself. Whether you like Marty or want him fired, love the motion offense or it makes you fall asleep.... If you tell me before the season the Aces were going to be 16-10 I would have laughed at you. If you tell me we are going to play a portion of the season without Taylor I would have lost a lot of money. If you tell me that we would have lost Taylor for a period and Dru for a period I would have lost my house and vehicle.

I'm not saying everything has to be nice and rosey because there are obviously issues and they need to be addressed. But, when talking about this years team how about we show some damn love to these guys. No one is going to crown them the most talented team ever but damn they come out and play hard EVERY night. I'm not into participation trophies nor should UE be (another topic another day) but I respect what this team has accomplished.

This next part is going to upset some folks here and won't be popular. This season is Marty Simmons best coaching job since taking over at UE. Now, let me preface by saying he is in charge of the roster so he is part of the problem of why we are here. But, taking recruiting out and just purely talking coaching this is the best year he's had. I know some will disagree with schemes and personnel and I get that. I judge a coach in season on how his team is producing based on talent. This UE is over achieving. Marty has also done a good job of keeping the team together through all the injuries.

**That is all I have to say. Now back to the regularly scheduled Marty bashing**

I respect and enjoyed your post evilleman. Even with the departure of Wichita State. let alone the injuries the Aces have had to endure, I believed this team was going to finish last place. It appears that may not happen but I am not sure the Aces will win another conference game the rest of the season. Even though I desire a coaching change I don't believe I ever "nit pik" at Marty and feel a need to "jab" at him every chance I get. I think he is getting the most he can out of this particularly team. I would bet every penny I have he will be back next season, perhaps at least partially due to the university may not be able to buy him out. As a die hard fan, I always look ahead and try to be optimistic. But like many Aces fans, I am getting weary of the "wait till next year" mantra under the present coaching staff.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am

letsgoAces wrote:
evilleman wrote:I had a prior commitment last night and did not see one second of the game. Sounds like we lost. However, ESPN says we won. That's confusing.

I respect and enjoyed your post evilleman. Even with the departure of Wichita State. let alone the injuries the Aces have had to endure, I believed this team was going to finish last place. It appears that may not happen but I am not sure the Aces will win another conference game the rest of the season. Even though I desire a coaching change I don't believe I ever "nit pik" at Marty and feel a need to "jab" at him every chance I get. I think he is getting the most he can out of this particularly team. I would bet every penny I have he will be back next season, perhaps at least partially due to the university may not be able to buy him out. As a die hard fan, I always look ahead and try to be optimistic. But like many Aces fans, I am getting weary of the "wait till next year" mantra under the present coaching staff.

I'm with you. I can't openly root for another person to lose their job. Not saying those that do or wrong. It's just not in my DNA. That's why I've turned down jobs where that would be my responsibility. However, I absolutely want the program to be great again. I know things need to change in order for that improvement to happen. I just wanted to recognize the job the players and coaches are doing this year. I thought it'd be an absolute train wreck and they aren't up to the standards we expect, but I've enjoyed watching this team "over achieve" and I just wanted to give them a shoutout.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 am

evilleman wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:

I'm with you. I can't openly root for another person to lose their job. Not saying those that do or wrong. It's just not in my DNA. That's why I've turned down jobs where that would be my responsibility. However, I absolutely want the program to be great again. I know things need to change in order for that improvement to happen. I just wanted to recognize the job the players and coaches are doing this year. I thought it'd be an absolute train wreck and they aren't up to the standards we expect, but I've enjoyed watching this team "over achieve" and I just wanted to give them a shoutout.

Nothing wrong with that! I enjoyed the post as well, and to an extent agree. I'm not going to get into the Marty stuff too much, I've posted my thoughts on it and I still feel the same way.

I will never root for anyone to get fired in anything. I always hold out hope against hope he will change his recruiting and playing philosophies (they go hand in hand). But I don't see his current mindset and philosophy ever being anything more than mediocre at best unless it's changed.

These next 5 games are what it's going to come down to. This is it - put up or shut up time.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 am

I appreciate your perspective once again, evillman. I really get no joy at all in admitting my true desire that a coaching change is needed...Marty is a good man and has represented the university well. From people I know who have met him like him a great deal. Like you, I think it is important to recognize and acknowledge when the players and coaches are doing something which at least exceed my expectations. But my expectations were pretty low to begin with.

Return to “The Aces”