Game Thread Valpo @ Aces

Discussions of all the Aces sports
svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Game Thread Valpo @ Aces

Postby svmar10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am

To be clear, I do not want Marty to be fired. For 40 minutes I just wanted him to scream at KJ------ "EITHER DRIVE, TAKE THAT SHOT, OR COME OVER HERE AND SIT BY ME"

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 am

svmar10 wrote:To be clear, I do not want Marty to be fired. For 40 minutes I just wanted him to scream at KJ------ "EITHER DRIVE, TAKE THAT SHOT, OR COME OVER HERE AND SIT BY ME"

That's certainly what he should be telling him. He's (Riley) in way over his head right now. All of his weaknesses are being exposed.

I'd like to see Marty try to post him and Frederking up inside against the smaller guards. Frederking has a post game - and Riley has shown some ability to score inside against smaller guys.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 am

letsgoAces wrote:I appreciate your perspective once again, evillman. I really get no joy at all in admitting my true desire that a coaching change is needed...Marty is a good man and has represented the university well. From people I know who have met him like him a great deal. Like you, I think it is important to recognize and acknowledge when the players and coaches are doing something which at least exceed my expectations. But my expectations were pretty low to begin with.

Oh my expectations couldn't have been lower. Lol. Good convo letsgoaces!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 am

Tom Servo wrote:A win is a win, so they say. We had to win that game and thankfully we did.

There were a lot of bad things that I’m not going to get into here. Thankfully Taylor was able to make enough incredibly difficult shots to pull it out for us.

It will take a much better performance in the next game to win.

We still have a chance at avoiding Thursday

We'll have to play better than we did last night.

Norvin
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2011

Postby Norvin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37 am

Do the Aces coaches - or college coaches in general - keep track of 'plus/minus', the hockey stat that keeps track of the score when a player is on the court versus the score when a player is on the bench? I have thought most of the season that the Aces play better when Frederking is on the court. I kept track last night. Aces were +15 when he was out there, and -11 when he was sitting. He did not have great stats last night, but he spreads the floor, makes good passes, etc. Just wondering if that hockey stat was a 'thing' in college basketball, and/or whether the Aces coaches pay attention to something like that.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 am

Norvin wrote:Do the Aces coaches - or college coaches in general - keep track of 'plus/minus', the hockey stat that keeps track of the score when a player is on the court versus the score when a player is on the bench? I have thought most of the season that the Aces play better when Frederking is on the court. I kept track last night. Aces were +15 when he was out there, and -11 when he was sitting. He did not have great stats last night, but he spreads the floor, makes good passes, etc. Just wondering if that hockey stat was a 'thing' in college basketball, and/or whether the Aces coaches pay attention to something like that.

Great question Norvin. I know the NBA uses that metric. I am sure the staff does an analysis of what certain lineups give them. I obviously don't know for sure, but surely they do. Maybe not a true plus/minus but I'm sure they have some type of analytic they use to measure what lineups are best. Or maybe I'm just too naive and think that they do! :lol:

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 am

Norvin wrote:Do the Aces coaches - or college coaches in general - keep track of 'plus/minus', the hockey stat that keeps track of the score when a player is on the court versus the score when a player is on the bench? I have thought most of the season that the Aces play better when Frederking is on the court. I kept track last night. Aces were +15 when he was out there, and -11 when he was sitting. He did not have great stats last night, but he spreads the floor, makes good passes, etc. Just wondering if that hockey stat was a 'thing' in college basketball, and/or whether the Aces coaches pay attention to something like that.

Great post and observation.....and this comes from someone who didn't think he would be all that much at UE.....and have ate my own crow ever since. Last night was a win by the Cardiac Kids as I have come to call them....but I constantly had a feeling most of the night that we just didn't have the right personnel on the floor a majority of the time. After sleeping on it....I think I know why. The one rotation that I am curious and confused about is Noah for John. They are not the same player, same height and definitely do not have the same skill sets on either end. There were times (too many) where we did not have enough scoring threats on the floor. Some of you talk about Noah in the post.....I would love to see him get in a rotation with KJ. He can and has shown he can handle the ball, pass the ball and sees the floor very well. With him....you would have Ryan, Blake, John and DC on the floor together and it gives us what I believe is our strongest and best all-around lineup. Just a thought and I am sure this will be for not when Dru comes back....but until, I think that is a possibility that can make our offense a little less predictable.....as long as the offense LOOKS for all options and not just one.

Again....it was a win. Not the type that makes you leave the Ford thinking we have turned a corner...but it is a win. On to the Bears.....Go Aces!!!
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:53 am

He definitely makes a big difference when he's on the floor. In addition to all the above he sees the court very well too.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Tom Servo wrote:

He definitely makes a big difference when he's on the floor. In addition to all the above he sees the court very well too.

I think you are right Tom. With all the footage that we saw of him you knew he could shoot from anywhere and had the size and savy to compete on the D-1 level. But be can spot out who is open on the floor and get them the ball. Other schools are going to be kicking themselves for not offering Noah by the time he graduates from UE

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:35 pm

No marty Hill, no Dru or Solomon, and Boo giving all he has, coach has to get creative in his rotations. They deserve praise for every W.
Proud of DC's performance, was not out played by the two 7 footers.
Question is, how many more can they win?
Would love to have 3 more! 9-9 and likely in the 4-5 game, I would consider that a successful season considering everything.

Return to “The Aces”