Mo. St game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Mo. St game

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Not good folks...not good at all
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Not surprised by this game. I really felt like Aces would get clobbered. Little margin for error with this team Ridiculous in playing Dru who does not need to be pushed this fast. We can pretty well count on playing Thursday night. Any MVC win from here on will be a big upset.
Last edited by letsgoAces on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Not good folks...not good at all

Tom, I don't think anyone could post anything better. Your statement hit the nail right on the head and it could be splashed onto a lot of aspects of today's game and where we stand as a program. Sad.....really sad
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:07 pm

So Dru was apparently rushed back from injury once again and look what happens. We lose anyway and now he may have reaggravated his injury. Why not hold him out until he’s really ready to return? Somethings this coaching staff does never ceases to amaze me.

Aces1982
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces1982 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Reading this board is comical.
The ups and downs some of the posters go through.
Some of you need to get away from the monster drinks and not post till 24 hours after a win or loss.
A win Sunday will have everyone feeling great and avoiding Thursday.
Refs had ZERO to do with the outcome. ZERO.
Marty needs to go after this year is about the only consistent thing posted on this board. Some are like Jeylel and Hyde.
For the record, Marty has done a great job this year. He still needs to go but this year has been one of his best coaching years at UE.
Marty, mediocrity its what he does.
151-142
ZERO NCAA or NIT bids
9 years yet some want more of the same

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Reading this board is comical.
Some of you need to get away from the monster drinks and not post till 24 hours after a win or loss.
Marty needs to go after this year is about the only consistent thing posted on this board. Some are like Jeylel and Hyde.
For the record, Marty has done a great job this year. He still needs to go but this year has been one of his best coaching years at UE.

I’d say this is pretty accurate and unfortunately I do agree. I’ve said it before on here, it’s time to move on regardless of how this season ends in my opinion.

Obviously I’d like to see us win and avoid Thursday, but even if we do I sadly think we need to go in a new direction.

I don’t ever see his recruiting and playing philosophies working here. Too one dimensional and out dated. There is no priority placed on good shooting. Don’t let those percentages fool you. Shooting percentage is a very misleading stat as it can be run up against very weak competition.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm

I never try to get too high or too low during the season. However, I have to really question how in the world Dru could have been cleared to play and play in a road game when we are clearly going to be the underdog and have little or no chance to win the game with or without him. This game was not a make or break game for any kind of post season bid. We are likely playing Thursday so what difference does it make if we are a 7 or 8 seed. The goal should be to make sure we are as healthy as we can be come our last game or two before the tournament and not try to do something like bring Dru back so quickly. We had little to no chance in this game anyway and I know for sure we have zero chance to win more than a game in St Louis without Dru. Mo State is playing much better the last few games and may end up peaking at the right time. We are not healthy, not peaking and need to get healthy, that has to be our #1 goal for the next few weeks. I know everyone wants to win, me included, but bringing Dru back when he looked like this was a mistake imho.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader

Postby sect.3purple » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:41 pm

I believe that today's game, as I said in another post, highlighted so much of what is wrong with our Aces basketball program. Our lack of competitiveness in talent, in game plan, in just plain old basic energetic effort, and in leadership from the coach was on display for all to see. We played uninspired, non-competitive basketball today. Refs were bad, but we lost due to the type of ball we play and how we play (or not play). I try to stay excited because I love Aces basketball, but season after season nothing much seems to change except for a couple of years when DJ and Iggy used their exceptional talent to carry us to an almost MVC Tournament win. It is increasingly clear that new direction is needed - n ALL aspects of the program. Right now it is as though we are pushing a rope to get things going!

This program is dying. It is that dier a situation. The university is doing the community and the fan base a dis justice in not facing the reality of what is Aces Basketball today! This is a lot broader than one man's future. The Evansville community is losing an historical quality basketball identity and all that represents. This program needs energy, enthusiasm, excitement again - in every aspect on and off the floor!

kyace1
Ford Center Regular

Postby kyace1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Reading this board is comical.

No, the refs did not have anything to do with the outcome... but they were still pathetic... as I write this Virginia and Virginia Tech have a total of 5 fouls between them in the entire first half. It seems we average 20 fouls per team in the Valley... the refs need to get out of the way. They seem like angry old men who need to be seen.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm

I have nothing to add about the game, surprised like everyone else that he rushed Dru back. Seems like Marty should have spent time figuring out a game plan and how to motivate a team.

Had a bunch of errands to run today, and tried to listen to the game..what was wrong with the broadcast? I am sure it was the so called technical difficulties, but geez..it seems like we are just mailing it in regarding all aspects of the program right now.

I stopped by Sears this afternoon to see if there was any bargains. Sad again. Like Aces basketball, I grew up with Sears and Washington Square. I walked the mall remembering what Saturday afternoons there used to be like. Washington Square has struggled for 30 years, and Sears is on a nationwide death spiral, but it does seem poor management decisions have escalated both of their demise. I can't help but wonder if UE Basketball is on the same path.

Return to “The Aces”