Mo. St game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Mo. St game

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:27 pm

E-Villan wrote:I have nothing to add about the game, surprised like everyone else that he rushed Dru back. Seems like Marty should have spent time figuring out a game plan and how to motivate a team.

Had a bunch of errands to run today, and tried to listen to the game..what was wrong with the broadcast? I am sure it was the so called technical difficulties, but geez..it seems like we are just mailing it in regarding all aspects of the program right now.

I stopped by Sears this afternoon to see if there was any bargains. Sad again. Like Aces basketball, I grew up with Sears and Washington Square. I walked the mall remembering what Saturday afternoons there used to be like. Washington Square has struggled for 30 years, and Sears is on a nationwide death spiral, but it does seem poor management decisions have escalated both of their demise. I can't help but wonder if UE Basketball is on the same path.

Couldn’t agree more...we heard the end of the broadcast to hear what he had to say. Couldn’t even understand it, the quality was so bad. It sounded worse than a old 70s 8 Track tape. Extremely bush league and makes it even more difficult more people to follow the program. This sort of “mailing it in” would never have happened 20 years ago.

Your Sears/Wash Square analogy is spot on...sadly. I actually talked to someone at work about that very thing...how both of those things remind us the current Aces program.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 pm

I overheard a story recently about someone who wanted to sing the national anthem at the men's game. The person did sing the anthem at a women's game a while back and the UE person said they wanted the person to sing it at a men's game. They said they would get back to them on a game date..they never did follow through. This person sings at events all over the city.

They also said and I quote "if we did have you do the anthem for the men's game we would not be able to give you two tickets like we did for the lady's game." How pathetic is that ? Sounds pretty much like par for the course along with the pathetic quality of the radio broadcast.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Aces101 wrote:So Dru was apparently rushed back from injury once again and look what happens. We lose anyway and now he may have reaggravated his injury. Why not hold him out until he’s really ready to return? Somethings this coaching staff does never ceases to amaze me.

1. Dru would not have played without a Dr's release.
2. He appears to be such a competitive player that the decision to play was his to make.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:
Aces101 wrote:So Dru was apparently rushed back from injury once again and look what happens. We lose anyway and now he may have reaggravated his injury. Why not hold him out until he’s really ready to return? Somethings this coaching staff does never ceases to amaze me.

1. Dru would not have played without a Dr's release.
2. He appears to be such a competitive player that the decision to play was his to make.

That's the problem though he is a kid and wants to play. They have rushed him. No reason too but our coach is out for victories any way he can get them.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:28 pm

If a college player is allowed to dictate when he plays coming off an injury, then that’s a problem. Competitors like Dru will always say they’re ready and will give it 100%. It’s up to the coach to weigh the risk vs benefit....what is more important: playing Dru now or resting him 1-2 more weeks (as was the original estimated timeframe) and bring as healthy a squad possible to Arch Madness? That is our only hope of postseason play...why not try to prep for that? That should also include practicing zone and trap defenses during practices these next few weeks in attempt to throw opponents a few curveballs in the tourney?

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:24 am

Win or lose, the Aces play a boring stale brand of basketball. I can agree that Marty has made the most of an injury plagued year but it doesn't make the style less boring. Yes, we don't have the greatest athletes in the Valley but what amazing athlete would choose Evansville over 300 other schools? That athlete would have to be one who hasn't done his homework. What athlete would go to a school where the often repeated announcer boast is that ONE PLAYER is designated to shoot 40% of the team's shots and will lead the league in scoring because the rest of the team clusters in the lane to allow curl screens for that one player? I'm getting tired of hearing about it. I'd rather get a robocall than hear that game after tame after game. What great 3-pt shooter in high school chooses a school that shoots the fewest number of 3s in D1? Not many! I wish for the day when no Ace leads the league in scoring because 5 players average 10+ points a game. Balanced scoring is a winning formula. Marty needs to be cut loose and replaced by someone who has never been a part of the Martyball Knightball Crewsball motion offense.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 am

We competed the first 15 minutes of game.If i remember correctly we were
only down 1 or 2 with about 5 minutes left in the half.
Also,why is everone so pissed off.Im supprised going into this game
we were 16-10overall,and 6-7 in conference.Almost everyone on this
board predicted a low finish this year. By the way the conferences this year I believe almost any team probably except for Northern Iowa in Valparaiso can win the conference Championship including the aces

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Postby Aceup13 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:46 am

muni cup14 wrote:We competed the first 15 minutes of game.If i remember correctly we were
only down 1 or 2 with about 5 minutes left in the half.
Also,why is everone so pissed off.Im supprised going into this game
we were 16-10overall,and 6-7 in conference.Almost everyone on this
board predicted a low finish this year. By the way the conferences this year I believe almost any team probably except for Northern Iowa in Valparaiso can win the conference Championship including the aces

We are just frustrated that it has gotten to a level where people in Evansville don’t care and that when you are terrible you can’t recruit to get better. We know it is like the Titanic and there doesn’t seem to be a Carpathia anywhere so all we can do is watch..

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 am

On a lighter side.UConn women beat Wichita St 124-43
Bet they wish they were back in the MVC
I

aceslifer
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1956