What the Aces need to do to avoid the play-in game

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: What the Aces need to do to avoid the play-in game

Postby E-Villan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 pm

I said before we would have to take out both Missouri State and Indiana State on the road to avoid Thursday, I think the only thing to question at this point is whether we will be wearing the dark or white jerseys in the 8/9 game.

Call me whatever you want, but I refuse to rearrange my work schedule to go to St Louis for a Thursday game with a coach in his 11th season. Coming from the play in game, I really have no interest in going for Friday either should we get lucky. I will stay here and attend the OVC games at the Ford Center.

I have never been able to root against the team, and I am sure as each game is upon us, I will be cheering them on...but from this far out, I can't say I hope we win Arch Madness. It would really be an embarrassment. I don't see us getting anything better than a 15, and the committee would probably reward us with a rematch with Duke. We really don't need that kind of national embarrassment again.

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Postby Aceup13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 am

E-Villan wrote: I can't say I hope we win Arch Madness. It would really be an embarrassment. I don't see us getting anything better than a 15, and the committee would probably reward us with a rematch with Duke. We really don't need that kind of national embarrassment again.

I can’t stand these comments..

We haven’t made the tournament in 20 years and some people wouldn’t be happy if we did. I would shed a tear if we made the tournament. I wouldn’t care if we were a 16 seed. The big dance is the big dance and is a great encouragement and recruiting tool

Aces1997
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Aces1997 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 am

Aceup13 wrote:
E-Villan wrote: I can't say I hope we win Arch Madness. It would really be an embarrassment. I don't see us getting anything better than a 15, and the committee would probably reward us with a rematch with Duke. We really don't need that kind of national embarrassment again.

We haven’t made the tournament in 20 years and some people wouldn’t be happy if we did. I would shed a tear if we made the tournament. I wouldn’t care if we were a 16 seed. The big dance is the big dance and is a great encouragement and recruiting tool

Thank you Acesup. People on here truly do not get it. I didn’t know it was an embarrassment to ever make the NCAA tournament. I guess that goes back to one of my previous comments about how you could give these people gold and they would still gripe. Unreal.

PurpleAces
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

Aces1997 wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:

Thank you Acesup. People on here truly do not get it. I didn’t know it was an embarrassment to ever make the NCAA tournament. I guess that goes back to one of my previous comments about how you could give these people gold and they would still gripe. Unreal.

Please enlighten us on how you feel making the NCAA tournament this year would help us? We still have a coach that can't fill the roster. Do you think Marty making the tournament as a 15 seed is going to fill the Ford? What exactly don't we get. What I see is a coach in his 11th year that has totally lost the community. There is no interest in UE basketball right now. Saturday on the news they showed highlights of the USI men and womens game. They showed the UE score then went straight to highlights of the high school games. Some are blind to the fact that Marty is in over his head. I do feel like he can coach but there is something he is doing that just doesn't work. How many times have we seen us playing our best basketball early in the season. We usually play loose and look totally different than we do at the end. My gosh not everyone is wrong because they want a change. Two seasons in a row with the lowest attendance in history. Are all those people wrong too just because they don't think like you and think Marty deserves a bronze statue outside the Ford.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 am

I understand fully the sentiment of E'ville and PurpleAces - Aces have not been very good for a long time. Though their are a lot of good things I can say about the head coach, at some given point he has to have more on the court success and it just hasn't happened. I don't see that changing anytime soon...not under Marty. Not one NCAA bid, Not one NIT, and never came close to even landing at large bid or conference championship. At this point he is having a heck of a time just filling scholarships. But don't worry Marty woshipers - he isn't going anywhere anytime soon...doubtful a small private school can buy him out. This year's record low attendance will be topped next season, and then the season after that....My proud Aces program is now the model definition of insanity.

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Postby Aceup13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:03 am

PurpleAces wrote:
Aces1997 wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:

Please enlighten us on how you feel making the NCAA tournament this year would help us? We still have a coach that can't fill the roster. Do you think Marty making the tournament as a 15 seed is going to fill the Ford? What exactly don't we get. What I see is a coach in his 11th year that has totally lost the community. There is no interest in UE basketball right now. Saturday on the news they showed highlights of the USI men and womens game. They showed the UE score then went straight to highlights of the high school games. Some are blind to the fact that Marty is in over his head. I do feel like he can coach but there is something he is doing that just doesn't work. How many times have we seen us playing our best basketball early in the season. We usually play loose and look totally different than we do at the end. My gosh not everyone is wrong because they want a change. Two seasons in a row with the lowest attendance in history. Are all those people wrong too just because they don't think like you and think Marty deserves a bronze statue outside the Ford.

I too agree it is time for a coaching change but making the tournament certainly helps us.

-Exposure
-Money
-Casual fan gets involved
-recruiting
-best shot in the arm this organization and city needs to support this program

Probably others I am not thinking of. Of course we don’t go to a big time Wichita State powerhouse after making the tournament but in no way can I ever see it as detrimental. Like I said earlier, I have never seen the Aces in the big dance and would probably shed tears if they went.

Aces1997
Casual Fan

Postby Aces1997 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 am

PurpleAces wrote:
Aces1997 wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:

My only response to you is to say making the NCAA tournament would be embarrassing is ridiculous. There’s a lot more that goes in to a program that a lot of you don’t realize. You may have addressed some of those in the middle of your paragraph in regards to news coverage.

Aces1997
Casual Fan

Postby Aces1997 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 am

PurpleAces wrote:
Aces1997 wrote:
Aceup13 wrote:

Sorry. Yes, in regards to your first question I do feel it would generate buzz around the city. I’m not going to sit here and say it will fill the Ford for every game next year. But I would hope that for a city that hasn’t seen a tournament team in 18 years there would be a whole lot more excitement than there that’s been.

Acepurple71
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acepurple71 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am

Aces1997 wrote:
PurpleAces wrote:
Aces1997 wrote:

Sorry. Yes, in regards to your first question I do feel it would generate buzz around the city. I’m not going to sit here and say it will fill the Ford for every game next year. But I would hope that for a city that hasn’t seen a tournament team in 18 years there would be a whole lot more excitement than there that’s been.

Sorry but NO real fan of any program around would or should find despair in making the "Big Dance". NONE, I don't care what your feelings are for or against someone in the program. I find that self centered that you would be against making the tourney because it doesn't serve a purpose. It would not matter what the seed we would be. it is an honor to the team

Aces1997
Casual Fan

Postby Aces1997 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 am

Acepurple71 wrote:
Aces1997 wrote:
PurpleAces wrote:

Sorry but NO real fan of any program around would or should find despair in making the "Big Dance". NONE, I don't care what your feelings are for or against someone in the program. I find that self centered that you would be against making the tourney because it doesn't serve a purpose. It would not matter what the seed we would be. it is an honor to the team

Amen to this

Return to “The Aces”