Has our media finally arrived?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Has our media finally arrived?

Postby pafan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am

Acepurple71 wrote:Looking at a Gonzaga which injection a bunch of money into their programs allowed them to get a good manager and better players. They did well in the tourney and subsequently they started making it higher and higher each year in the tourney. Which by the way brings in a butt load of money.

Only if you go deep, or go often.

If UE were, hypothetically, to win Arch Madness this year, then lose first round game, not one more net dollar would show up on the Athletics Department's ledgers - it would just reduce the subsidy from the general fund to Athletics by about $25,000 a year for six years. Or the administration could choose to keep the subsidy at the same level and hire 1 more full-time employee at $10 an hour. Whoopty-doo.

I don't think being a one-and-done in the NCAA is all that valuable from a promotional point of view, either. Sure, millions of people will see your name on their brackets and select #3 Xavier to win without really thinking about it. And hundreds of thousands will watch an Evansville-Xavier game on TruTV Thursday afternoon. But all that is a drop in the bucket to reaching a Sweet 16 or beyond, as these schools like Gonzaga and Butler have accomplished to bring in all that money.

That's not to say it isn't worth trying. I am saying that a goal of making the NCAA tournament once every 20 years is not a high enough goal if you want to replicate Gonzaga.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 am

You can't go often, until you go for the first time in 20 years. I see your point, and that is what really disappoints me about the 2015-16 season. I think that team would have been everyone's upset pick in R1 and received a lot of coverage. Even a 1 and done that year would have been a boost to UE's athletic program, enrollment, and school spirit.

It's no secret there have been several D1 players in the tri-state over the last few years who have chosen to play elsewhere. I have to think if the local school was viewed as a legitimate option to make "the big dance" they might reconsider.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 pm

NumbersDontLie wrote:You can't go often, until you go for the first time in 20 years. I see your point, and that is what really disappoints me about the 2015-16 season. I think that team would have been everyone's upset pick in R1 and received a lot of coverage. Even a 1 and done that year would have been a boost to UE's athletic program, enrollment, and school spirit.

It's no secret there have been several D1 players in the tri-state over the last few years who have chosen to play elsewhere. I have to think if the local school was viewed as a legitimate option to make "the big dance" they might reconsider.

Exactly ... couldn't have said it any better.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 pm

pafan wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:Looking at a Gonzaga which injection a bunch of money into their programs allowed them to get a good manager and better players. They did well in the tourney and subsequently they started making it higher and higher each year in the tourney. Which by the way brings in a butt load of money.

Only if you go deep, or go often.

If UE were, hypothetically, to win Arch Madness this year, then lose first round game, not one more net dollar would show up on the Athletics Department's ledgers - it would just reduce the subsidy from the general fund to Athletics by about $25,000 a year for six years. Or the administration could choose to keep the subsidy at the same level and hire 1 more full-time employee at $10 an hour. Whoopty-doo.

I don't think being a one-and-done in the NCAA is all that valuable from a promotional point of view, either. Sure, millions of people will see your name on their brackets and select #3 Xavier to win without really thinking about it. And hundreds of thousands will watch an Evansville-Xavier game on TruTV Thursday afternoon. But all that is a drop in the bucket to reaching a Sweet 16 or beyond, as these schools like Gonzaga and Butler have accomplished to bring in all that money.

That's not to say it isn't worth trying. I am saying that a goal of making the NCAA tournament once every 20 years is not a high enough goal if you want to replicate Gonzaga.

Well, PA I certainly agree with your post, especially the last sentence. Now, the question arises, does anyone think that 20 years is enough time for Marty to us to the NCAA Tournament? I don't think 50 years would be enough time. Is it possible for anyone to get us to the NCAA Tournament in any amount of time? Well, we won't know the answer to that question unless we try. This is a really nice medium sized Midwestern City, with a pretty campus, that you can get a more personalized education that you can get at a P5 institution, with a great place to play, except for it's location, and a state of the art practice facility. It shouldn't be that hard to get MVC caliber athletes to come here. If we can get a coach like the ones hired at Bradley, and Drake, and then still can't get it done, then I think we should rethink were we are in the D-1 landscape, and do what is best for the University, and the City of Evansville.

I watched the Ind. St.-Drake game last night because I thought it would a very entertaining game to see. Boy, was it. Reed Timmer scored 39 points for Drake, but it was one of the most entertaining games I have seen this year. It was up, and down the floor on almost every possession, with the shot clock hardly ever getting below 10 seconds, with both teams taking the first open shot they could. Wish I could see an Aces game like that, but the chances of that are slim, and none. I know that the Aces have been really hurt this year by injuries, but Marty's style of basketball has made it really hard to watch anymore, and I thought that after watching Aces basketball for more than 60 years, I would never say that I would just as soon watch something else.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:48 pm

I watched Missouri St vs So Illinois last night and it was pretty exciting too. In fact I mostly watch just Valley games because I know so many of the players.

I must admit that it pains me to watch the Aces now. Don’t get me wrong, I tune in every game broadcast if I’m home, but the style of play is boring and predictable. The players do the best they can but they are limited by the style of play and the need for improved talent in key positions.

The UE Administration needs to do something to elevate the quality of the basketball program or there won’t be a program left.

This applies to the non-revenue and Women’s sports too. There’s no reason they can’t be competitive in D-1 sports.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm

What pains me is Marty didn't play in a boring system. He has tried to fit his style into a motion offense and it doesn't work. Year in and year out we have watched players take shots early in the season only to watch them regress toward the end. Marty played with multiple scorers so I don't get his philosophy on having the offense go through one kid.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:17 pm

letsgoAces wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:A question I have that keeps popping up in my mind: Is this non-attention by UE in addressing the glaring losses to the basketball program - not just in games won, recruiting, fans, attendance - but also no band at games, lack of student attendance/support, a dance team that has only 5 participating - is all this slide being allowed to happen so that, when we hit rock bottom, then UE will have a good excuse to just take us out of Div.! competition? Look what happened to football. Is this the future of Div.! basketball?

I understand your sentiment but it would be hard for me to believe UE would ever drop out of D-1 basketball. The boosters and fans simply would not allow it. Too much outrage and it just won't hapeen. They can still "function" at this level. The question I have is how far will they (administration) allow it to get. From everything I have read the UE coaching job is the lowest paid in the MVC. That is part of the problem too, but I still firmly believe the Aces could still find a good hungry coach who would come here. It will be interesting to see how the boosters with the big bucks evaluate the program themselves after the season is over. Wish I could win the lottery to pay Marty to go away.

As letsgoAces pointed out, "the Aces could still find a hungry coach who would come here." This has been discussed before with names, mainly with local ties, such as Walter McCarty, Calbert Cheaney, Michael Lewis, etc. Another name I don't recall seeing on this board but one many of us were introduced to (or reintroduced to) during the Valparaiso game was their assistant coach David Ragland. Ragland is an Evansville native who's been a head coach at Vincennes as well as an assistant at NKU, Bowling Green, and Indiana State. Was his 2 part profile / interview by Marcus Wilson during the Valpo game on ESPN3 an introduction of sorts to the Evansville fan base? David already has ties to the MVC and has a regional presence in Mid-Major recruiting from his days at NKU and Bowling Green. It sure wouldn't hurt to go with someone new at the helm with a more modern sense of how basketball is being played.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:34 pm

GA Ace wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:A question I have that keeps popping up in my mind: Is this non-attention by UE in addressing the glaring losses to the basketball program - not just in games won, recruiting, fans, attendance - but also no band at games, lack of student attendance/support, a dance team that has only 5 participating - is all this slide being allowed to happen so that, when we hit rock bottom, then UE will have a good excuse to just take us out of Div.! competition? Look what happened to football. Is this the future of Div.! basketball?

I understand your sentiment but it would be hard for me to believe UE would ever drop out of D-1 basketball. The boosters and fans simply would not allow it. Too much outrage and it just won't hapeen. They can still "function" at this level. The question I have is how far will they (administration) allow it to get. From everything I have read the UE coaching job is the lowest paid in the MVC. That is part of the problem too, but I still firmly believe the Aces could still find a good hungry coach who would come here. It will be interesting to see how the boosters with the big bucks evaluate the program themselves after the season is over. Wish I could win the lottery to pay Marty to go away.

As letsgoAces pointed out, "the Aces could still find a hungry coach who would come here." This has been discussed before with names, mainly with local ties, such as Walter McCarty, Calbert Cheaney, Michael Lewis, etc. Another name I don't recall seeing on this board but one many of us were introduced to (or reintroduced to) during the Valparaiso game was their assistant coach David Ragland. Ragland is an Evansville native who's been a head coach at Vincennes as well as an assistant at NKU, Bowling Green, and Indiana State. Was his 2 part profile / interview by Marcus Wilson during the Valpo game on ESPN3 an introduction of sorts to the Evansville fan base? David already has ties to the MVC and has a regional presence in Mid-Major recruiting from his days at NKU and Bowling Green. It sure wouldn't hurt to go with someone new at the helm with a more modern sense of how basketball is being played.

Enjoyed your post. David Ragland is one of many names I would call out who might be interested in the UE job. Plenty of candidates out there who would love the opportunity to show off what they can do. I personally don't want to get into naming names until Marty is officially dismissed, but only God knows when that will be. But certainly we can see from the MVC some great coaching hires by Loyola, Drake, Bradley - it did not take them long to take programs that were struggling every bit as much as Evansville and now in the upper division. Not sure how much lower UE can get for the Marty supporters to continue their mantra of "things could even get worse if we hire someone else".

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:22 pm

I will preach it again. As far as I am concerned, if he truly gives a deuce about the program, he will step down and save us the expense. He has received MORE than his fair share of mulligans. 5 years of free tuition. Our debt has been paid 10X!!!

His big donor buddies need to be leaning on HIM first.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:02 pm

I watched the Mo State at SIU game myself. Besides it being a great game the atmosphere looked fantastic. I was thinking the same as others have posted that our atmosphere is so dull and boring along with the brand of LOSING basketball we have seen for such a long time. Iyt's hard to maintain loyalty to the Aces and buy season tickets and donate money and so on. It's really getting hard.

If I was one of the big donors and had a lot or a little experience in the world of college athletics I have to be thinking one of two things:

1. We at the Big Donor Club are so in love with Marty that if he can't turn the program around nobody can and he is our last ditch effort to be competitive in this league and in D1 so we need to drop to D3.

2. We can be competitive in D1 and in the MVC (can this be confirmed with data, not sure if it can be) and clearly the coach we have put our money on the last eleven years who we had great faith in, been extremely patient with has not produced and needs to be removed.

Either way of thinking, it is clear with the decline in attendance and revenue, a lack of excitement surrounding the program, then lack of wins over quality teams, embarrassing losses vs the top 50 teams and a goose egg when it comes to NIT or NCAA bids it is crystal clear a move has to be made, and made at season's end when the crop of good coaching candidates is available.

I don't know about anyone else, but it would be a sad, sad day in this city if UE was no longer a D1 school in The Valley.

Return to “The Aces”