Booster Club

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Blindhorse
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Booster Club

Postby Blindhorse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Average Joe Purple Club, I would join that. When's the first get together?

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Maybe this is what we, as the community, need now more than ever. I believe that we are finally starting to ask the right questions, and we are thinking about things logically. Maybe we, as the average Joes should push our way back into this equation, and pushback against those that are essentially saying that ‘we don’t belong here’. Maybe we should push to form a Purple Aces booster club. If we could start it and get it moving in the right direction, why couldn’t it be a powerful force against those that want to push us out because “we don’t have the resources” (money) that they do.

UE men’s basketball used to be a place for the “working class”, as we used to watch those teams come out with a working man’s mentality, and then, all of a sudden, the “rich and powerful” came in, and wanted it their way, thus pushing all of us out and making it an “old boys club”. I say we step up, push back, and take back what is ours, as members of the UE community, the Evansville community, and damnit, just a plain old fan of UE basketball. Let’s take it back.

I also think it's an excellent idea.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

acefan1963
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1963

Postby acefan1963 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 am

Over the last week a lot has happen when it comes to the UE basketball program, we need to focus on things that we can control by helping make improvements to the program.

Fact 1: Coach Simmons is not the head coach any longer. This fact has a number of supports very sad and a number of supports very happy.

Fact 2: The AD will hire a new Head Coach

Fact 3: The members of this forum can express their opinion (1st admin), but it is AD decision to fire and hire members of his department, the fans have no part in these decisions. The postings in the last few days have been getting a little heated on a subject that is totally outside this forum control.

The one area that this forum can have on the program is BRING BACK the Evansville community to support Aces Athletics. The basketball program is the major source of revenue for all sports, so has the basketball program goes so goes all the others sports teams go.

UE has always been a small school of approximately 2,500 students, however over the years the basketball attendance has ranked in top 100 schools of all NCAA basketball programs. One year only UK had more fans in the stands then UE and other season ranked number 6, the reason was not the students support, but the community support.

I would like to propose starting a booster group on this forum, this is an area that all of us can agree on with one common goal. I have contacted UE to ask if there is anything the NCAA or the AD would be concern with forming this booster group.

Mark Spencer in an e-mail stated “that having a Booster Group outside of the supervision of the University has proven to be troublesome, and in some instances illegal per NCAA rules, but we would love to partner with you and any supporters that would like to add energy and help foster UE Athletics to the greater community”.

I have not heard from UE NCAA Compliance Director UE NCAA Compliance Director at this time; however we should at least start a discussion.

The following is my idea for this booster group, feel free suggest any ideas and I will add them to the list.

Purple Aces Grassroots Boosters

1) Generate community’s interest in the teams, by being a bridge between the civic clubs large and small. Most of the members on this forum are members of School PTA, Church groups, Unions, Professional associations and Neighborhood associations (grassroots).
2) Improve atmosphere at home games by generating more students and youth groups to attend home games. This booster group should be able to discuss with the AD about issues with the Ford Center during games or ideas that improve the atmosphere at home games.
3) Organize bus trips to Southern Illinois, Illinois State, and maybe Bradley road games.
4) Organize trips to local high school players that Coaches are interested in recruiting, showing not only is UE Coaches interest, but the Evansville community is interested in him.

I do have a question for this forum.

How many would support this booster club in your time and effort?

Once we know how will support this idea then we will know better what type of place we need to meet to work out details and start planning for next season.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:41 am

That is great, I too had thought about contacting Spencer once everything had died down. This is sorely needed. Your ideas are great, I do question #4. I think if it isn't a violation, it would expose the program to accusations from other programs recruiting the same kid. Your intent is fantastic, we just need to do it when they visit here.

A few ideas I would add:

1) Designated section for this group- I know many of you already have season tickets, and may want to remain there, but a lot of us don't. I do plan on getting them again this year. I have heard others express the same. A dedicated section, similar to the Asylum at the hockey games, could generate cheers, excitement, etc. Another benefit to this, is often times, I missed going to games because I didn't want to go alone. Not only would this eliminate that for those of us in the group, but we could somehow expand it, and promote it to everyone, even casual fans. If you would like to come to a game, but don't have anyone to come with, come on and join this group for the game. If you sit in this section, expect it to be lively. A few signs hanging that name the group and section would be helpful. I do have connections for banners.

2) Designated watch parties for road games- I don't think too many watering holes around here bother to stream the ESPN3 games when we are on. I am sure if we chose certain places for the group to watch road games, I am sure they would accommodate that. I know a couple of bar owners that are huge Aces fans. We could start with them. Those would also be good places to hold initial meetings. Maybe we could team up with the University, or local print shop, and get signs made for any bar willing to stream the ESPN3 games.."Watch Aces Games Here"

3) Create a facebook group for the group- There are a lot of people that have no idea this forum exists, or would take the time to create an account. Nearly everyone has facebook. We should create a closed group for the members to discuss and invite people. It would be a good way to communicate to everyone.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, and obviously you can count me in. I can secure us a meeting site when the time is ready to have one. Let's make it happen!

hagankyle78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1996

Postby hagankyle78 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am

I currently live in Southern Illinois, but would totally be up for this! I want the FC to rock like it used to at Roberts and would be glad to help anyway possible and make the FC exciting again! Great idea!!!

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am

acefan1963 wrote:Over the last week a lot has happen when it comes to the UE basketball program, we need to focus on things that we can control by helping make improvements to the program.

Fact 1: Coach Simmons is not the head coach any longer. This fact has a number of supports very sad and a number of supports very happy.

Fact 2: The AD will hire a new Head Coach

Fact 3: The members of this forum can express their opinion (1st admin), but it is AD decision to fire and hire members of his department, the fans have no part in these decisions. The postings in the last few days have been getting a little heated on a subject that is totally outside this forum control.

The one area that this forum can have on the program is BRING BACK the Evansville community to support Aces Athletics. The basketball program is the major source of revenue for all sports, so has the basketball program goes so goes all the others sports teams go.

UE has always been a small school of approximately 2,500 students, however over the years the basketball attendance has ranked in top 100 schools of all NCAA basketball programs. One year only UK had more fans in the stands then UE and other season ranked number 6, the reason was not the students support, but the community support.

I would like to propose starting a booster group on this forum, this is an area that all of us can agree on with one common goal. I have contacted UE to ask if there is anything the NCAA or the AD would be concern with forming this booster group.

Mark Spencer in an e-mail stated “that having a Booster Group outside of the supervision of the University has proven to be troublesome, and in some instances illegal per NCAA rules, but we would love to partner with you and any supporters that would like to add energy and help foster UE Athletics to the greater community”.

I have not heard from UE NCAA Compliance Director UE NCAA Compliance Director at this time; however we should at least start a discussion.

The following is my idea for this booster group, feel free suggest any ideas and I will add them to the list.

Purple Aces Grassroots Boosters

1) Generate community’s interest in the teams, by being a bridge between the civic clubs large and small. Most of the members on this forum are members of School PTA, Church groups, Unions, Professional associations and Neighborhood associations (grassroots).
2) Improve atmosphere at home games by generating more students and youth groups to attend home games. This booster group should be able to discuss with the AD about issues with the Ford Center during games or ideas that improve the atmosphere at home games.
3) Organize bus trips to Southern Illinois, Illinois State, and maybe Bradley road games.
4) Organize trips to local high school players that Coaches are interested in recruiting, showing not only is UE Coaches interest, but the Evansville community is interested in him.

I do have a question for this forum.

How many would support this booster club in your time and effort?

Once we know how will support this idea then we will know better what type of place we need to meet to work out details and start planning for next season.

Years back, there was a Quarterback Club in Evansville that tried to prop up the football program. I was kind of an associate member without much input since I didn't live in the city anymore. I live in Valparaiso now and the city doesn't do a lot to promote the sports programs at VU though there is a quite active and vocal seasson ticket base. The students, like elsewhere, are just an necessary annoyance.

But the VU administration is staunchly behind the coaches and athletes. The bad apples are excluded. Valpo still plays football, UE does not. Valpo football is awful. Digression. Sorry.

As far as a fan and an alumnus of UE, I can say I'd support the programs, though I don't know that anything resembling a "budget' or "membership' would be a positive. No strings is better to me because I don't want to be bound by a set of artificial rules. If the university has not asked the community to support its programs, when did the AD finally decide that was a good idea to encourage that?

I recall my college years when the KWC, ISU, SIU games were 10K and up for attendance. Big Ten teams came to Evansville because it was worth it to them. Coach Mac's teams were very good. These players were admired. That was 50 years ago. The world isn't what it was.

But if I am a supporter of Aces programs, I will first encourage them to do the simple things -- the main one being, BEEF UP THE SCHEDULE and play Butler, IU, Purdue, KWC (yeah, even USI) ... I don't want to watch Miss. Valley College or Wartburg.

Acesfanpaul
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1959

Postby Acesfanpaul » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:09 am

I would be very interested in such a club and have wondered for a long time why no such thing existed. I even contacted the. Athletic department about bus trips. Something is definitely needed and now seems like the best time. Let’s get a real pep band also with enthusiastic students. Offer deeply discounted tickets for the upper bowl to familys. I believe Marty is a class act and I for one am very thankful for all he has done for the university and our community. I will miss him but if we have to make a change let’s do it right! Go Aces!

acefan1963
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1963

Postby acefan1963 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am

1) Designated section for this group- I know many of you already have season tickets, and may want to remain there, but a lot of us don't. I do plan on getting them again this year. I have heard others express the same. A dedicated section, similar to the Asylum at the hockey games, could generate cheers, excitement, etc. Another benefit to this, is often times, I missed going to games because I didn't want to go alone. Not only would this eliminate that for those of us in the group, but we could somehow expand it, and promote it to everyone, even casual fans. If you would like to come to a game, but don't have anyone to come with, come on and join this group for the game. If you sit in this section, expect it to be lively. A few signs hanging that name the group and section would be helpful. I do have connections for banners.

Great Idea, once they hire a new coaching staff we can discuss with AD about doing something.

Create a facebook group for the group- There are a lot of people that have no idea this forum exists, or would take the time to create an account. Nearly everyone has facebook. We should create a closed group for the members to discuss and invite people. It would be a good way to communicate to everyone.

If you can create a facebook grouping go ahead, this may bring others from outside this forum.

As far as a fan and an alumnus of UE, I can say I'd support the programs, though I don't know that anything resembling a "budget' or "membership' would be a positive. No strings is better to me because I don't want to be bound by a set of artificial rules. If the university has not asked the community to support its programs, when did the AD finally decide that was a good idea to encourage that?

Unless there is something special, the cost of being a member of this group is your time and effort.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am

I think all of these are great ideas...I would certainly like to get involved - I know of a couple others who aren't on here (or don't post here) who might be interested in this too. We'll probably keep our season tickets where they are, but I'd be very interested in the other things.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 am

Love all the ideas being tossed around and am all for it. I do live in St. Louis, so my time would be limited but certainly would do all I could to help make this booster club happen.

Return to “The Aces”