Letter

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ace14
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 pm
Fan Since: 1988

Re: Letter

Postby Ace14 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:01 pm

The only teams that had any chance since the Crews era were Colt's Jr & Sr years. His Jr year, they made a nice run, then ran into a buzzsaw(Creighton) in semis of mvc tourney. Last year's team did underachieve, but at least they had good enough personnel to have a chance. I think this core(including mislav), will be better than Colt's group. Let's see what happens.....

Aces1982
Road Tripper
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Letter

Postby Aces1982 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:82,

I am going to try to keep this civil with you, but considering your history here and on Valleytalk, I have my doubts.

First of all, I said "Jo and 82 want to crash the program" I never said you wanted D-2, but your wishlist to join a garbage conference will have the same effect, crashing the program.

Your argument has flawed points. You think joining the Horizon automatically means more wins. Apparently you aren't aware that as of today, there are 6 Horizon programs with higher RPI's than us. I don't think a 7th place finish in the Horizon is going to ignite the fan base.

You claim we were successful before joining the Valley, yes, but the MCC isn't the Horizon. We were successful against Butler, Xavier, Dayton, SLU, etc...

Jo claims we were successful in D-2, yes, but that success back then was against SIU, Indiana State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Illinois State among others. Maybe we should find a conference with those schools in it........

I have said before, schools just don't downgrade. I really don't want to be the trailblazer here. Does Northwestern want out of the Big 10? Are there active groups at Duquesne, Fordham, La Salle, etc wanting out of the A-10?

I still believe we can compete here, we have for many years. I still believe we can get the large crowds back. Are you aware after 4500 of us left the Ford on Saturday afternoon, 9500 filed back in for a hockey game. No one can say there are more hockey fans in the Tri-State than college basketball fans.

And most importantly, I believe we can compete financially with every other Valley school, sans WSU.

Conference affiliation has nothing to do with the 14 years of sucktitude. We have discussed this at length and there are several factors, but a president running his mouth off about going D-2 is what kicked this slide into high gear. We will never know the true extent of the damage he did to the program, and I just shake my head when people like you and Jo follow right along with what he did.


You don't want to join garbage conference then you go and say 5 have higher RPI then us?

You don't seem to understand, St Louis, Xavier, Dayton and Butler were not the same teams as they are today. Not even close. Xavier, maybe.

You say, you think we can compete and have for years???? Your idea of competing and my idea must be light years away. How many winning seasons have we had in MVC?

You are right about one thing, switching conferences does not give UE 100% chance of having winning seasons. But it does give UE 100% better chance to win.

I think the President talking about DII is an excuse by fans to justify why UE is losing. I don't think it affected the basketball program one bit. I don't think it affected recruiting one bit. It wasn't a national news story. Prove to me we lost recruits over this?

Conference Records in MVC
11-7.....94-95 Crews
9-9
11-7
13-5...NCAA
9-9
4-14
8-10....02-03 Merfelf
5-13
5-13
6-12
3-15...07-08 Simmons
8-10
3-15
9-9
9-9
10-8

4 winning seasons in 16 years. 3 of those were in first 4 years. 1 NCAA tournament. 2 times UE has made it to semi finals in conference tournament.
That is average to below average. That is not competing.

If those records are what you like to have and what you strive for then we are in the right conference.

Fans can make all the excuses in the world. Coaching, transfers, players being kicked off, administration. The bottom line is the one consistent in all of this is the conference UE is in.

Before MVC, UE went to NCAA in 82, 89, 92 and 93. With NIT in 88 and 94.
Since UE has been in MVC, NCAA in 99. Once in 16 years. I am not going to count the CBI and CIT, those are jokes.

Please explain how these two compare and how the MVC is the right fit? Spare me all the excuses. Not to mention we are last in basketball budget in MVC when it comes to recruiting and coaching salary. That is just another place UE can not compete with the MVC schools.


Here is something interesting. Here is the RPI of the conference throughout the years. When we did well, early years, the RPI was not very good. As the RPI got better, UE never did. The other interesting fact is when we went to the MVC, the old conference we were in was better, RPI wise(I know teams were leaving though). I remember fans not being happy with this move at the time saying we were taking steps back going to the MVC.

1991-92: 21
1992-93: 15
1993-94: 17
1994-95: 10
1995-96: 12
1996-97: 10
1997-98: 12
1998-99: 8
1999-00: 11
2000-01: 12
2001-02: 12
2002-03: 14
2003-04: 11
2004-05: 8
2005-06: 6
2006-07: 6
2007-08: 8
2008-09: 9
2009-10: 7
2010-11: 11
2011-12: 8
2012-13: 8
Marty, mediocrity its what he does.
151-142
ZERO NCAA or NIT bids
9 years yet some want more of the same

User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

Re: Letter

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Here is something interesting. Here is the RPI of the conference throughout the years. When we did well, early years, the RPI was not very good. As the RPI got better, UE never did. The other interesting fact is when we went to the MVC, the old conference we were in was better, RPI wise(I know teams were leaving though). I remember fans not being happy with this move at the time saying we were taking steps back going to the MVC.

1991-92: 21
1992-93: 15
1993-94: 17
1994-95: 10
1995-96: 12
1996-97: 10
1997-98: 12
1998-99: 8
1999-00: 11
2000-01: 12
2001-02: 12
2002-03: 14
2003-04: 11
2004-05: 8
2005-06: 6
2006-07: 6
2007-08: 8
2008-09: 9
2009-10: 7
2010-11: 11
2011-12: 8
2012-13: 8



That's one of the points I keep trying to make to those who keep saying we should go "back" to the Horizon because we were able to compete. The MCC we were successful in was consistently better than the MVC. I was one of those who were not happy with the move, but like now, it was really our only option. Supposedly, when Dayton flipped on their word about staying, Byers wanted Xavier to agree mutually with us to stay, and vote to increase the exit fee for leaving the conference. They supposedly balked, at which time we bolted for the Valley. Xavier left the following season for the A-10.

Funny how the Valley improved from #17 to #10 the season we joined.

Aces1982
Road Tripper
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Letter

Postby Aces1982 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:Here is something interesting. Here is the RPI of the conference throughout the years. When we did well, early years, the RPI was not very good. As the RPI got better, UE never did. The other interesting fact is when we went to the MVC, the old conference we were in was better, RPI wise(I know teams were leaving though). I remember fans not being happy with this move at the time saying we were taking steps back going to the MVC.

1991-92: 21
1992-93: 15
1993-94: 17
1994-95: 10
1995-96: 12
1996-97: 10
1997-98: 12
1998-99: 8
1999-00: 11
2000-01: 12
2001-02: 12
2002-03: 14
2003-04: 11
2004-05: 8
2005-06: 6
2006-07: 6
2007-08: 8
2008-09: 9
2009-10: 7
2010-11: 11
2011-12: 8
2012-13: 8



That's one of the points I keep trying to make to those who keep saying we should go "back" to the Horizon because we were able to compete. The MCC we were successful in was consistently better than the MVC. I was one of those who were not happy with the move, but like now, it was really our only option. Supposedly, when Dayton flipped on their word about staying, Byers wanted Xavier to agree mutually with us to stay, and vote to increase the exit fee for leaving the conference. They supposedly balked, at which time we bolted for the Valley. Xavier left the following season for the A-10.

Funny how the Valley improved from #17 to #10 the season we joined.


The first few years, 4 to be exact, UE could compete cause the Valley wasn't that strong. As the Valley got better, UE never did.

I use this to further give facts of UE in the Valley and not being competitive.
Marty, mediocrity its what he does.
151-142
ZERO NCAA or NIT bids
9 years yet some want more of the same

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Letter

Postby Big Ace » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 am

I didnt know anything about this post. It was posted during the time I had the flu. I read each and every post and im getting the impression.........I will be using a metaphor........alot of people go out and buy a big fancy car even though they cant afford it. Why ? Because they look good in it. Once they own their big fancy car they will never own anything else, no matter what. They'll cut back on everything else just so they can keep looking good in their big fancy car. I have a big fancy car but I can afford it.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2496
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Letter

Postby acecard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am

I was quite upset this morning about seeing a short, but blunt, letter on the editorial page of the Courier supporting the move out of D1, and showing John Stanley, and Marty, the door. I didn't mind the subject of the letter, even though I don't agree with it, as everybody has a right to their opinion, even if it's wrong. What tee'd me off was the fact that the C&P has never published any letter supporting the fact that the Aces should stay in D1, and try to rise to a level that is higher than where they now find them selves. Seems like the C&P is siding with those who think we should get out of D1. What makes me mad is that they are not presenting both sides of the story.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm
Fan Since: 1982

Re: Letter

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Since when does a liberal rag like the Evansville Courier press present a balanced view on anything?

User avatar
stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:58 am
Fan Since: 1987
Location: Vanderburgh County, Earth

Re: Letter

Postby stl scooter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:55 pm

The last letter I read in the c&p 'in support' of the Aces was written by Brandon Gaudin, while he was still here.
#ForTheAces #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard


Return to “The Aces”