Ryan Taylor Leaving

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Ryan Taylor Leaving

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:16 pm

I’m definitely interested to see how he does up there.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 pm

I couldn't get the Aces game on BIG10+ tonight so I listened to the radio announcer call our game while watching Ryan Taylor oh-so-smoothly swish in 20 points for Northwestern as the tv announcers gave high praise to "the grad transfer from Evansville." Sure do miss Taylor's scoring efficiency and wish he was still wearing UE purple rather than Northwestern's.

Tonight's game against Illinois was disappointing...don't know what DC did, but he sure hurt his team, hope the lesson learned will serve him well in the future. I am hoping for better defense and surer ball handling and more points on the scoreboard come Sunday in Cincy, but that old rival has probably already smelled the blood in the water after tonight's game.....all we can do is to work harder and get better - some situations just don't have any solutions except for work and effort.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 pm

Good for Ryan. Rooting for him. All class. Different universe than another transfer.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 am

I still think the blueprint for shutting him down was the UNI game in tournament. He could not handle the pressure.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Taylor really struggled again tonight against IU. The games I’ve watched this year has shown me that he’s regressed as an offensive threat. He is strictly a 3-point shooter and has shown very little dribble drive or midrange offense. His ball handling is about the same and he still isn’t a good rebounder.

I like RT, but I think his move to Northwestern may have hurt his pro chances. He may have been a 20 ppg scorer in McCarty’s offense, but he made the choice to leave as a grad transfer.

mybigpurplebrain
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Aces101 wrote:Taylor really struggled again tonight against IU. The games I’ve watched this year has shown me that he’s regressed as an offensive threat. He is strictly a 3-point shooter and has shown very little dribble drive or midrange offense. His ball handling is about the same and he still isn’t a good rebounder.

I like RT, but I think his move to Northwestern may have hurt his pro chances. He may have been a 20 ppg scorer in McCarty’s offense, but he made the choice to leave as a grad transfer.

Not sure about that. Not being the “ chosen” one and not able to create his own shot. He might have been able to average the 12-13 he is at NW

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 am

I said last year that I thought Taylor made a mistake in leaving UE. If he had stayed and played this year for Coach McCarty he would have probably continued with his hot shooting from 3-point land, and he would have been a big part of our offensive success...probably would have received a lot of attention in this rising program....maybe even have helped us to a post-season (maybe even danced there) appearance. His season is not going that well, watched him tonight against IU, don't know if he even scored. Not sure even if NW will make the NCAA tournament. I hope for his sake that he breaks through his scoring slump...won't wish against him even if he did leave us.

I think Dru Smith also made a mistake....would have been great under this coaching staff and could have been a big part of what I believe will be an exciting basketball program that will do big things in the MVC, and nationally.

Return to “The Aces”