Walter McCarty

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Walter McCarty

Postby pafan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 am

The Aces play in a mid-major conference. Marty's teams rarely dictated the flow in MVC games. Maybe once in an MVC season, like this year against SIU on senior day.

I would love to see Walter's teams dictate the flow in a game with Northern Iowa some day. Hang 70-75 points in regulation on UNI and I'll be proud.
We'll deal with the rest in another off-season.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:43 am

pafan wrote:The Aces play in a mid-major conference. Marty's teams rarely dictated the flow in MVC games. Maybe once in an MVC season, like this year against SIU on senior day.

I would love to see Walter's teams dictate the flow in a game with Northern Iowa some day. Hang 70-75 points in regulation on UNI and I'll be proud.
We'll deal with the rest in another off-season.

I think a lot of times the objective is to play a game that allows you to dictate the last 4 minutes, which was sort of a Loyola strategy, one that really wasn't fully explored by TV sideline reporters. Never mind that, actually. But that gets back to the diversity you have on the bench. If your big men both have 4 fouls, it's obvious you aren't going to get much rebounding or shot altering. Moving in and out from a big lineup to a quicker one ... that's how the "big guys" win national titles. It's how Michigan advanced and why it's so hard to beat Duke and Kansas. The middies have to play in their own pool. But you can't have 3 slow guards on the floor who can't move without the ball, are petrified at a zone defense and shoot 28 percent from the perimeter.
I am blathering here but every coach knows how to win at basketball, seriously. The process is sometimes out of their control and Marty just didn't have the horses. Some of that was injury and some was that the big men didn't mature as Egidius had. Giddy was a rare talent for a mid-major. As comparison, Gonzaga is successful because they get players like that.

Aces12
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces12 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:52 am

So when can we start to worry?
Losing Taylor and Smith
Have not heard assistant coaches
Not hearing of any commitments.
Are any of these three b/c of lack of expierence? We need some good news soon.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:13 am

Aces12 wrote:So when can we start to worry?
Losing Taylor and Smith

Some of you want to start worrying, hopefully you have been worrying for 20 years, because we haven't did much,I'm sorry I don't get this, we were a Thursday team this year and based on the other teams in the valley and our failure to change things up, we probably would have been a Thursday team again next year with Taylor and the (oft injured) Smith, NEWSFLASH we have a new coach this is a rebuilding project give Coach McCarty 3 years then start the worrying campaign, but for now don't stress it man, life is to short.

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:28 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:
Losing Taylor and Smith

Some of you want to start worrying, hopefully you have been worrying for 20 years, because we haven't did much,I'm sorry I don't get this, we were a Thursday team this year and based on the other teams in the valley and our failure to change things up, we probably would have been a Thursday team again next year with Taylor and the (oft injured) Smith, NEWSFLASH we have a new coach this is a rebuilding project give Coach McCarty 3 years then start the worrying campaign, but for now don't stress it man, life is to short.

+100%

Demanding news and information.....lol

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:51 am

mybigpurplebrain wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:
Losing Taylor and Smith

+100%

Agree completely. If you look at what many of the other teams in the Valley have coming back next year and the level of recruits being added, UE would have been hard-pressed to avoid Thursday night even if everybody stayed under the old guard. Can't tell for sure, but felt like the ceiling for most of the other teams was higher than where the Aces were heading.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:18 am

purpleredbird wrote:
mybigpurplebrain wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:

+100%

Agree completely. If you look at what many of the other teams in the Valley have coming back next year and the level of recruits being added, UE would have been hard-pressed to avoid Thursday night even if everybody stayed under the old guard. Can't tell for sure, but felt like the ceiling for most of the other teams was higher than where the Aces were heading.

I would agree 100% with this assessment. If Simmons had stayed and everyone but Taylor returned, the absolute best I could have seen us was 6th place. It's all speculation, but I think that's what would have happened.

That's why I think Smith is making a bad decision that he's going to regret, unless he planned on leaving regardless of who was coaching because he was sick of losing. I doubt that was the case, but who knows. If Simmons stayed it was still going to be a rebuild, for yet another season.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:36 am

At least the other valley teams won't be able to use 11 years of scouting of the same offense to defend us.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner

Postby Ad1770 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:45 am

muni cup14 wrote:At least the other valley teams won't be able to use 11 years of scouting of the same offense to defend us.

To be fair, Loyola only had four or five years worth of film, and Valpo only had last year’s.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 am

Loyola beat us twice on year 4,and Valpo loss to us twice in year 1.Im sure they would have caught up with us.

Return to “The Aces”